- Volume 5 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
On the Chinese Code on fire safety design of steel building structures
- Li, G.Q. (Department of Structural Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Guo, S.X. (Department of Structural Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Jiang, S.C. (Department of Structural Engineering, Tongji University)
- Published : 2005.10.25
This work introduces to the international scientific community the Chinese Code on fire safety design of steel building structures. The aim of the Code is to prevent the structure of a steel building subjected to fire from collapsing, ensure safe evacuation of building occupants, and reduce the cost for repairing the damages of the structure caused by fire. The main contents of the Code is presented in this paper, including the fire duration requirements of structural components, fundamental requirements on fire safety design of steel components, temperature increasing of atmosphere and components in fire, loading effect and capacity of various components in fire, and procedure for fire-resistant design of steel components. The analytical approach is employed in the Code and the effectiveness of the Code is validated through experiments.
fire-resistance;steel structures;design code
Supported by : Natural Science Foundation of China
- British Standard BS5950: Part8: 1990, Structural Use of Steel Work in Building. BSI.
- CEN, DAFT ENV 1993: Eutocode3: Design of Steel Structures, July 2002.
- Standards Association of Australia: AS4100 (1990) - Steel Structures, SAA, Sydney, 1990.
- Li, G.Q., Jiang, S.C. and He, J.L. (1999),"The First Code on Fire Safety of Steel Structures in China", The Second Int. Conf. on Advances in Steel Structure. HongKong. 1031-1038.
- Li, G.Q., Jiang, S.C. and Shen, Z.Y. (1996),"Research into analysis and design for fire-resistance of tall steel buildings", Technical Report, Tongji University.
- Li, G.Q. and Jiang, S.C. (1999),"Prediction to nolinear behaviour of steel frames subjected to fire", Fire Safety Journal, 32(4), 347-368. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0379-7112(98)00038-1
- Shanghai Technical Code on Fire Safety of Steel Structures, 2000.
- Chinese Code for Fire Protection Design of Building, 1992.
- Chinese Code for Fire Protection Design of Tall Buildings, 1997.
- ECCS, European Recommendations for the Fire Safety of Steel Structure, 1983.
- Li, G.Q., He, J.L. and Jiang, S.C. (2000a),"Fire-resistant experiment and theoretical calculation of steel columns", Building Structure, 30(9), 12-15.
- Li, G.Q., He, J.L. and Jiang, S.C. (2000b),"Fire-resistant experiment and theoretical calculation of a steel beam", China Civil Engineering Journal, 32(4), 23-26.