- Volume 5 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A new base plate system using deformed reinforcing bars for concrete filled tubular column
- Park, Yong-Myung (Department of Civil Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Hwang, Won-Sup (Department of Civil Engineering, Inha University) ;
- Yoon, Tae-Yang (Civil Engineering Research Team, Research Institute of Industrial Science and Technology) ;
- Hwang, Min-Oh (Civil Engineering Research Team, Research Institute of Industrial Science and Technology)
- Received : 2004.08.24
- Accepted : 2005.03.25
- Published : 2005.10.25
An experimental study was conducted to develop a new base plate anchorage system for concrete filled tubular column under an axial load and a moment. The column was connected to a concrete foundation using ordinary deformed reinforcing bars that are installed at the inside and outside of the column. In order to investigate the moment resisting capacity of the system, horizontal cyclic loads are applied until the ultimate condition is reached with the axial load held constant. To derive a design method for moment resisting capacity, the reinforced concrete section approach was investigated with the assumption of strain compatibility. The results by this approach agreeded well with those of experiments when the bearing pressure of confined concrete and tangent modulus of steel bars are assumed appropriately. Also, it was found that the column interaction curve can be used to predict the yield strength of the base plate system.
column base plate;reinforcing bar anchor;moment resisting capacity;reinforced concrete section method;interaction curve
Supported by : Korean ministry of science & technology
- ACI Committee 318 (2002), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete(ACI 318-02) and Commentary (ACI318R-02), American Concrete Institute, Detroit.
- AISC (1986), Manual of Steel Construction-Load and Resistance Factor Design, 1st Edn., American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago.
- AISC (1990), Steel Design Guide 1-Column Base Plates, American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago.
- DeWolf, J.T. (1978),"Axially loaded column base plates", J. Struct. Div., ASCE, 104(ST5), 781-794.
- DeWolf, J.T. and Sarisley, E.F. (1980),"Column base plate with axial loads and moments", J. Struct. Div., ASCE, 106(ST11), 2167-2184.
- Gaylord, E.H. and Gaylord, C.N. (1972), Design of Steel Structures, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Kitada, T., Sakoda, H., Oryu, T., Horie, Y. and Nina, T. (1998),"Ultimate strength of steel bridge pier bases designed as RC structures", Proc. of the 6th Symp. on Steel Structures, JSSC, 6, 221-228.
- Kontoleon, M.J., Mistakidis, E.S., Baniotopoulos, C.C. and Panagiotopoulos, P.D. (1999),"Parametric analysis of the structural response of steel base plate connections", Comput. Struct., 71, 87-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(98)00232-6
- Park, R. and Paulay, T. (1975), Reinforced Concrete Structures, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Salmon, C.G., Shenker, L. and Johnston, B.G. (1957),"Moment-rotational characteristics of column anchorages", Transactions, ASCE, 122, 132-154.
- Stamatopoulos, G.N. and Ermopoulos, J.C. (1997),"Interaction curves for column base-plate connections", J. Construct. Steel Research, 44(1), 69-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(97)00038-2
- Thambiratnam D.P. and Paramasivam, P. (1986),"Base plates under axial loads and moments", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 112(5), 1166-1181. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1986)112:5(1166)
- Vedo, A. and Ghali, A. (1977),"Moment-curvature relation of reinforced concrete slabs", J. Struct. Div., ASCE, 103(ST3), 515-531.
- An Experimental Study For Improvement of Joint Detail of Steel Pier - Foundation vol.24, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7781/kjoss.2012.24.5.491
- Cyclic Testing for Structural Detail Improvement of CFT Column-Foundation Connections vol.7, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/su7055260
- An Analytical Study on the Strength Behavior of Column-Foundation Connection with High Tension Bolts vol.28, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7781/kjoss.2016.28.2.121
- Tensile Behavior of Embedded Steel Sections with End Plates vol.141, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001222
- Experimental study of the behavior of circular column-foundation connections according to the internal reinforcement of the column vol.16, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-016-0032-9