- Volume 5 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Viscoplastic response and collapse of 316L stainless steel tubes under cyclic bending
- Chang, Kao-Hua (Department of Engineering Science, National Cheng Kung University) ;
- Hsu, Chien-Min (Department of Art-Craft, Tung Fang Institute of Technology) ;
- Sheu, Shane-Rong (Department of Automation and Control Engineering, Far East College) ;
- Pan, Wen-Fung (Department of Engineering Science, National Cheng Kung University)
- Received : 2004.07.30
- Accepted : 2005.03.28
- Published : 2005.10.25
This paper presents the experimental and theoretical results of the viscoplastic response and collapse of 316L stainless steel tubes subjected to cyclic bending. The tube bending machine and curvature-ovalization measurement apparatus, which was designed by Pan et al. (1998), were used for conducting the cyclic curvature-controlled experiment. Three different curvature-rates were controlled to highlight the characteristic of viscoplastic response and collapse. Next, the endochronic theory and the principle of virtual work were used to simulate the viscoplastic response of 316L stainless steel tubes under cyclic bending. In addition, a proposed theoretical formulation (Lee and Pan 2001) was used to simulate the relationship between the controlled cyclic curvature and the number of cycles to produce buckling under cyclic bending at different curvature-rates (viscoplastic collapse). It has been shown that the theoretical simulations of the response and collapse correlate well with the experimental data.
viscoplastic response;viscoplastic collapse;316 L stainless steel tubes;cyclic bending;endochronic theory;moment;curvature;ovalization
- Kyriakides, S. and Shaw, P.K. (1982),"Response and stability of elastoplastic circular pipes under combined bending and external pressure", Int. J. Solids Struct., 18(11), 957-973. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(82)90086-5
- Kyriakides, S. and Shaw, P.K. (1987),"Inelastic buckling of tubes under cyclic loads", ASME J. Press. Vessel Technol., 109, 169-178. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3264891
- Lee, K.L. and Pan, W.F. (2001),"Viscoplastic collapse of titanium alloy tubes under cyclic bending", Struct. Engng. Mech., An Int. J., 11(3), 315-324. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2001.11.3.315
- Lee, K.L. and Pan, W.F. (2002),"Pure bending creep of SUS 304 stainless steel tubes", Steel and Comp. Struct., An Int. J., 11(3), 315-324.
- Lee, K.L., Pan, W.F. and Kuo, J.N. (2001),"The influence of the diameter-to-thickness ratio on the stability of circular tubes under cyclic bending", Int. J. Solids Struct., 38, 2401-2413 . https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(00)00116-5
- Lee, K.L., Pan, W.F. and Hsu, C.M. (2004),"Experimental and theoretical evaluations of the effect between diameter-to-thickness ratio and curvature-rate on the stability of circular tubes under cyclic bending", JSME International Journal, Series A, 47(2), 212-222. https://doi.org/10.1299/jsmea.47.212
- Pan, W.F. and Chern, C.H. (1997),"Endochronic description for viscoplastic behavior of materials under multiaxial loading", Int. J. Solids Struct., 34(17), 2131-2159. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(96)00118-7
- Pan, W.F. and Fan, C.H. (1998),"An experimental study on the effect of curvature-rate at preloading stage on subsequent creep or relaxation of thin-walled tubes under pure bending", JSME International Journal, Series A, 41(4), 525-531.
- Pan, W.F. and Her, Y.S. (1998),"Viscoplastic collapse of thin-walled tubes under cyclic bending", ASME J. Engng. Mat. Tech., 120, 287-290. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2807015
- Pan, W.F. and Lee, K.L. (2002),"The effect of mean curvature on the response and collapse of thin-walled tubes under cyclic bending", JSME International Journal, Series A, 45(2), 309-318. https://doi.org/10.1299/jsmea.45.309
- Pan, W.F., Wang, T.R. and Hsu, C.M. (1998),"A curvature-ovalization measurement apparatus for circular tubes under cyclic bending", Experimental Mechanics, An Int. J., 38(2), 99-102. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02321651
- Shaw, P.K. and Kyriakides, S. (1985),"Inelastic analysis of thin-walled tubes under cyclic bending", Int. J. Solids Struct., 21(11), 1073-1110. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(85)90044-7
- Valanis, K.C. (1980),"Fundamental consequence of a new intrinsic time measure-plasticity as a limit of the endochronic theory", Arch. Mech., 32, 171-191.
- Corona, E. and Kyriakides, S. (1988),"On the collapse of inelastic tubes under combined bending and pressure", Int. J. Solids Struct., 24(5), 505-535. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(88)90005-4
- Corona, E. and Kyriakides, S. (1991),"An experimental investigation of the degradation and buckling of circular tubes under cyclic bending and external pressure", Thin-Walled Struct., 12, 229-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8231(91)90048-N
- Fan. J. (1983),"A comprehensive numerical study and experimental verification of endochronic plasticity", Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Aerospace Engineering and Applied Mechanics, University of Cincinnati.
- Ikegami, K. and Ni-Itsu, Y. (1983),"Experimental evaluation of the interaction effect between plastic and creep deformation", Plasticity Today Symposium, Udine, Italy, 27-30.
- On the response of dented stainless-steel pipes subject to cyclic bending moments and its prediction vol.99, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2015.10.017
- Endochronic simulation for thermal viscoplastic and creep deformation vol.32, pp.1, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1080/02533839.2009.9671483
- Viscoplastic collapse of sharp-notched circular tubes under cyclic bending vol.26, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0894-9166(14)60007-0
- CCD digital camera system for measuring curvature and ovalization of each cross-section of circular tube under cyclic bending vol.34, pp.1, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1080/02533839.2011.552968
- Buckling failure of 310 stainless steel tubes with different diameter-to-thickness ratios under cyclic bending vol.10, pp.3, 2010, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2010.10.3.245
- Response of sharp-notched circular tubes under bending creep and relaxation vol.1, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1299/mej.2014smm0005
- Effects of Notch Depth and Direction on Stability of Local Sharp-Notched Circular Tubes Subjected to Cyclic Bending 2018, https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219455418500992
- Fatigue tests of damaged tubes under flexural loading vol.19, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.19.1.223