- Volume 5 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Buckling of sandwich cylindrical shells under axial loading
- Ohga, Mitao (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Ehime University) ;
- Wijenayaka, Aruna Sanjeewa (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Ehime University) ;
- Croll, James G.A. (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University Collage of London)
- Received : 2004.01.27
- Accepted : 2005.01.24
- Published : 2005.02.25
Important characteristics of the previously proposed reduced stiffness method and a summery of its design curves for the buckling of the axially loaded sandwich cylindrical shells is presented. Comparison of the lower bound obtained with FEM analysis with that from the reduced stiffness analysis shows that the proposed reduced stiffness method can provide safe lower bounds for the buckling of geometrically imperfect, axially loaded sandwich cylindrical shells. One of the attractive features of the reduced stiffness elastic lower bound analysis is that it provides safe estimates of buckling loads that do not depend on the specification of the precise magnitude of the imperfection spectra. As a result, designers can readily apply this method without being worried about possible geometrical imperfections that might be generated during fabrication and construction of sandwich cylindrical shells.
- Croll, J.G.A. (1981),"Lower bound elasto-plastic buckling of cylinders", Proc. Instn Civ. Engrs, Part 2, 71, 235-261. https://doi.org/10.1680/iicep.1981.2150
- Croll, J.G.A. (1995),"Towards a rationally based elastic-plastic shell buckling methodoogy", Thin-Walled Structures, 23, 67-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8231(95)00005-X
- Croll, J.G.A. and Batista, R.C. (1981),"Explicit lower bounds for the buckling of axially loaded cylinders", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 23(6), 331-343. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7403(81)90063-1
- Croll, J.G.A. and Ellinas, C.P. (1983),"Reduced stiffness axial load buckling of cylinders", Int. J. Solid Structures, 19(5), 461-477. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(83)90056-2
- Nemeth, M.P. and Starnes (Jr.), J.H. (1998), The NASA monographs on shell stability design recommendations, a review and suggested improvements, Langley Research Center, Hampton, Virginia.
- Ohga, M. and Umakoshi, M. (2001),"RS buckling strength of cylindrical sandwich shells under axial pressures (Japanese)", J. of Structural Engineering, 47A, 27-34.
- Ohga, M. and Wijenayaka, A.S. (2003),"Explicit lower bounds for imperfection sensitive buckling of axially loaded sandwich cylindrical shells", Int. Symp. on New Perspectives of Shell and Spatial Structures, Taipei, Taiwan, October 22-25, 156.1-8
- Plantema, F.J. (1966), Sandwich Construction: The Bending and Buckling of Sandwich Beams, Plates and Shells, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, London, Sydney.
- Vinson, J.R. (1999), The Behavior of Sandwich Structures of Isotropic and Composite Materials, Technomic Publishing Company Inc., Lancaster, PA 17604, U.S.A.
- Buckling behaviours of functionally graded polymeric thin-walled hemispherical shells vol.21, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.4.849
- Study of historical developments in the use of fire resistant steels vol.30, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3184/096034013X13809016785943
- Development of wood and steel diaphragm hysteretic connector database for performance-based earthquake engineering vol.15, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-017-0141-7
- Investigation of stiffening scheme effectiveness towards buckling stability enhancement in tubular steel wind turbine towers vol.19, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.19.5.1115
- Seismic performance of single-storey steel concentrically braced frame structures constructed in the 1960s vol.41, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjce-2013-0198
- Lower bound buckling strength of axially loaded sandwich cylindrical shell under lateral pressure vol.44, pp.7, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2006.04.013