- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Establishment of an Individual Identification System Based on Microsatellite Polymorphisms in Korean Cattle (Hanwoo)
- Yoon, Du-Hak (National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Kong, Hong-Sik (Genomic Informatics Center, Hankyong National University) ;
- Oh, Jae-Don (Genomic Informatics Center, Hankyong National University) ;
- Lee, Jun-Heon (Division of Animal Science and Resources, Chungnam National University) ;
- Cho, Byung-Wook (Miryang National University) ;
- Kim, Jong-Dae (National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Jeon, Ki-Jun (National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Jo, Chang-Yun (National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Jeon, Gwang-Joo (Genomic Informatics Center, Hankyong National University) ;
- Lee, Hak-Kyo (Genomic Informatics Center, Hankyong National University)
- Received : 2004.09.22
- Accepted : 2005.01.15
- Published : 2005.06.01
This study was conducted to establish an individual identification system comprising of 19 microsatellite markers located on different bovine autosomes. The markers were typed on 257 animals from five cattle breeds. In total, 112 alleles were detected from the genotyping of 19 microsatellite markers. The average heterozygosities ranged from 0.292 to 0.824 and the polymorphic information content (PIC) ranged from 0.274 to 0.817 in Hanwoo. We found that there were differences in allele frequencies in Hanwoo when compared with other cattle breeds. The calculated cumulative power of discrimination (CPD) was 99.999% when nine microsatellite loci were used for analysis in the individual identification system. Also the matching probability, the probability that two unrelated animals would show the same genotypes, was estimated to be
Individual Identification;Microsatellites;Polymorphic Information Content;Cattle
Supported by : Gyeong-gi Regional Research Center at Hankyong National University
- Chen, G. H., X. S. Wu, D. Q. Wang, J. Qin, S. L. Wu, Q. L. Zhou, F. Xie, R. Cheng, Q. Xu, B. Liu, X. Y. Zang and O. Olowofeso. 2004. Cluster Analysis of 12 Chinese Native Chicken Populations Using Microsatellite Markers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(8):1047-1052.
- Cho, G. J. and B. W. Cho. 2004. Microsatellite DNA Typing Using 16 Marker for Parentage Verification of the Korea Native Horse. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(6):750-754.
- Kim, K. S., J. H. Eum and C. B. Choi. 2001. Genetic Diversity of Korean Cattle using Microsatellite Analysis. Anim. Sci. Technol. Kor. 43 (5):599-608.
- Nei, M. 1972. Genetics distance between populations, Am. Nat. 106, pp. 283-292.
- Nei, M. 1978. Estimation of average heterozygosity and genetic distance from a small number of individuals. Genetics 89:583-590.
- Vignal, A., D. Milan, M. SanCrostobal and A. Eggen. 2002. A review on SNP and their use in animal genetics. Genet. Sel. Evol. 34:275-305.
- Kim. T. H., D. H. Yoon, E. W. Park, H. Y. Lee, S. J. Oh, I. C. Cheong, T. Y. Thak, K. N. Kim and J. Y. Han. 2000. A study on Genotype Frequencies of the Bovine Melanocortin Receptor 1 (MC1R) in cattle Breeds. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. Kor. 42 (6):735-744.
- Yoon, D. H. 2002. Molecular Genetic Diversity and Development of Genetic Markers in Association with Meat Quality for Hanwoo (Korean Cattle).Ph. D. Thesis.
- Miller, S. A., D. D. Dykes and H. F. Polesky. 1988. A simple salting out procedure for extracting DNA from human nucleated cell. Nucleic Acids Research 16:1215 (Abstr.).
- Loftus, R. T., O. Ertugrul, A. H. Harba, M. A. A. El-Barody, D. E. MacHugh, S. D. E. Park and D. G. Bradley. 1999. A microsatellite survey of cattle from a centre of origin: The Near East. Molecular Ecology 8, pp. 2015-2022.
- SAS. 2002. SAS/STAT User's guide, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Syvanen, A. C. 2001. Accessing genetic variation, Genotyping single nucleotide polymorphisms. Nat. Rev. Genet. 2:930-942. https://doi.org/10.1038/35103535
- Seo, K. S., Y. M. Cho and H. K. Lee. 2000. Development of Network System for the Application of HACCP in Livestock Production Stage. Agrolnformatics J. 1 (2):1-4.
- SanCrostoval, M., G. Renald and Y. Amigues. 2000. Tracabilite individuelle des viandes bovinew a l'aide de marqueurse genetiques. INRA Prod. Anim. 13 (4):269-276.
- Hirano, T., S. Nakane, K. Mizoshita, H. Yamaguchi, M. Inoue-Murayama, T. Watanabe, W. Barendse and Y. Sugimoto. 1996. Characterization of 42 highly polymorphic bovine microsatellite markers. Anim. Genet. 1996 Oct. 27(5):365-368.
- Fries, R. and G. Durstewitz. 2001. Digital DNA signatures: SNPs for animal tagging. Nat. Biotechnol. 19:508. https://doi.org/10.1038/89213
- Genetic Composition of Korean Native Chicken Populations - National Scale Molecular Genetic Evaluation Based on Microsatellite Markers vol.38, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2011.38.2.081
- Comparison of the Microsatellite and Single Nucleotide Polymorphism Methods for Discriminating among Hanwoo (Korean Native Cattle), Imported, and Crossbred Beef in Korea vol.34, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.6.763
- Genome-wide Copy Number Variation in a Korean Native Chicken Breed vol.41, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2014.41.4.305
- Clone Identification among Saplings in a Natural Forest of Thujopsis dolabrata var. hondae Using Multiplex EST-SSR Analysis vol.97, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4005/jjfs.97.261
- clones and their distribution across plantations in Ishikawa prefecture pp.1610-7403, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/13416979.2017.1396419