- Volume 18 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effect of Dietary Lipid Sources on Growth, Enzyme Activities and Immuno-hematological Parameters in Catla catla Fingerlings
- Priya, K. (Department of Fish Nutrition and Biochemistry, Central Institute of Fisheries Education) ;
- Pal, A.K. (Department of Fish Nutrition and Biochemistry, Central Institute of Fisheries Education) ;
- Sahu, N.P. (Department of Fish Nutrition and Biochemistry, Central Institute of Fisheries Education) ;
- Mukherjee, S.C. (Department of Fish Pathology and Microbiology, Central Institute of Fisheries Education)
- Received : 2004.09.22
- Accepted : 2005.03.14
- Published : 2005.11.01
Ninety advanced Catla catla fingerlings (av. wt. 16 g) were randomly distributed in six treatment groups with three replicates each for an experimental period of 60 days to study the effect of dietary lipid source on growth, enzyme activities and immuno-hematological parameters. Six isoprotein (40.0-41.9%) and isocaloric (4,260 kcal
Supported by : Indian Council of Agricultural Research
- Adron, J. W., A. Blair, C. B. Cowey and A. M. Shank. 1976. Effects of dietary energy level and dietary energy source on growth, feed conversion and body composition of turbot (Scophthalmus maximus L.). Aquaculture 7:125-132.
- AOAC. 1995. Official Methods of Analysis. 16th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, USA.
- Back, N., S. Biagianti and J. Brusle. 1983. Etude cytologique ultrastructurale des anomalies hepatoques clie loup, de la dainade et des anguilles, induites par unealimentation artificielle. IFREMER Actes de Colloques. 1:473-484.
- Bazaz, M. M. and P. Keshavnath. 1993. Effect of feeding different levels of sardine oil on growth, muscle composition and digestive enzyme activities of mahseer, Tor khudree. Aquaculture 115:111-119.
- Bell, J. G., J. R. Dick, A. H. McVicar, J. R. Sargent and K. D. Thompson. 1993. Dietary sunflower, linseed and fish oils affect phospholipid fatty acid composition, development of cardiac lessions, phospholipase activity and eicosanoid production in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Prostaglandins, Leucotrienes and Eicosanoid Fatty Acids 49:665-673.
- Bell, J. G., R. S. Raynard and J. R. Sargent. 1991. The effect of dietary linoleic acid on the fatty acid composition of individual phospholipids and lipoxygenase products from gills and leucocytes of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Lipids 26:445-450.
- Bell, J. G., D. R. Tocher and J. R. Sargent. 1994. Effect of supplementation with 20:3(n-6), 20:4(n-6) and 20:5(n-3) on the production of prostaglandins E and F of the 1-, 2- and 3-series in turbot (Scophthalmus maximus) brain astroglial cells in primary culture. Biochem. Biophys. Acta. 1211:335-342.
- Blazer, V. S. 1992. Nutrition and disease resistance in fish. Ann. Rev. Fish Dis. 2:309-323. https://doi.org/10.1016/0959-8030(92)90068-9
- Borlongan, I. G. 1990. Studies on the digestive lipases of milkfish, (Chanos chanos). Aquaculture 89:315-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/0044-8486(90)90135-A
- Changde, M. S. and R. P. Raj. 1997. Dietary lipid requirements of the juveniles of Indian white prawn P. indicus H. Milne Edwards. J. Aquacult. Trop. 12:165-180.
- Cherry, I. S. and L. A. Jr.Crandall. 1932. The specificity of pancreatic lipase: Its appearance in the blood after pancreatic injury. Am. J. Physiol. 100:266-273.
- Cho, C. Y., C. B. Cowey and T. Watanabe. 1985. Finfish Nutrition in Asia: Methodological Approaches to Research and Development. International Development Research Centre, Ottawa, Canada, p. 154.
- Cowey, C. B. and J. R. Sargent. 1977. Lipid nutrition in fish. Comp. Biochem and Physiol. 57B:269-273.
- Cowey, C. B., J. W. Adron, D. A. Brown and A. M. Shanks. 1975. Studies on the nutrition of marine flatfish. The metabolism of glucose by plaice Pleuronectes Platessa and the effect of dietary energy source on protein utilization in plaice. Br. J. Nutr. 33:219-231.
- Das, K. M., S. N. Mohanty and S. Sarkar. 1991. Optimum dietary protein to energy ratio for Labeo rohita fingerlings. In: Fish Nutritional Research in Asia. (Ed. S. S. De Silva). Asian Fish. Soc. Manila, Philippines, pp. 69-73.
- DeMoss, R. D. 1953. Glucose-6-phosphate and 6-phosphogluconic dehydrogenase from Leuconostoc mesenteroides. In Methods in Enzymology (Ed. I. S. P. Colowick and N. O. Kaplan). Academic Press Inc. New York, pp. 328-332.
- Doumas, B. T., W. Watson and H. G. Biggs. 1971. Albumin standards and measurement of serum albumin with bromocresol green. Clin. Chem. Acta. 31:87-96.
- Erdal, J. I., O. Evensen, O. K. Kaurstad, A. Lillehaug, R. Solbakken and K. Thorud. 1991. Relationship between diet and immune response in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar, L.) feeding various levels of ascorbic acid and omega-3 fatty acids. Aquaculture 98:363-379.
- Fracalossi, D. M. and R. T. Lovell. 1994. Dietary lipid sources influence responses of channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus to challenge with the pathogen Edwardsiella ictaluri. Aquaculture 119:287-298.
- Grasman, K. A., M. Armstrong, D. L. Hammersley, P. F. Scanlon and G. A. Fox. 2000. Geographic variation in blood plasma protein concentration of young herring gulls (Larus argentatus) and Caspian terns (Sterna caspia) from the Great Lakes and Lake Winnipeg. Comp. Biochem. Physiol C Toxicol. Pharmacol. 125(3):365-75.
- Green, D. H. S and D. P. Selivonchick. 1990. Effect of dietary vegetable, animal and marine lipids on muscle lipid and hematology of rainbow trout Onchorhynchus mykiss. Aquaculture 89:165-182
- Halver, J. E. 1976. The nutritional requirements of cultivated warmwater and coldwater fish species. Paper No: 31. FAO Technical conference on Aquaculture, Kyoto, 26 May-2 June, p. 9.
- Hardy, R. W., T. M. Scott and L. W. Harrell. 1987. Replacement of herring oil with menhaden oil, soyabean oil or tallow in the diets of Atlantic salmon raised in marine net pens. Aquaculture 65:267-277.
- Hasting, W. H. 1969. Nutritional score. In Fish in Research. (Ed. O. W. Newhaus and J. E. Halver). Academic Press, New York, pp. 263-292
- Hwang, D. 1989. Essential fatty acids and immune response. FASEB J. 3:2052-2061.
- Jaturasitha, S., Y. Wudthithumkanaporn, P. Rurksasen and M. Kreuzer. 2002. Enrichment of pork with omega-3 fatty acids by tuna oil supplements: Effects on performance as well as sensory, nutritional and processing properties of pork. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(11):1622-1633.
- Jung, H. J., Y. Y. Kim and I. K. Han. 2003. Effects of fat sources on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, serum traits and intestinal morpholohy in weaning pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(7):1035-1040.
- Knox, W. E. and O. Greengard. 1965. In An introduction to enzyme physiology, Advan. Enzyme Regul. (Ed. G. Weber). Pergamon Press, New York, USA, pp. 3:247-248.
- Koven, W. M., A. Tadler, G. W. Kissil, D. Sklan, O. Frierlander and M. Hazel. 1990. The effect of dietary (n-3) polyunsaturated fatty acids on growth, survival and swim bladder development in Sparus aurata larvae. Aquaculture 91:131-141.
- Li, M. H., D. J. Wise, M. R. Johnson and E. H. Robinson. 1994. Dietary menhaden oil reduced resistance of channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) to Edwardsiella ictaluri. Aquaculture, 128:335-344.
- Lovell, T. 1998. Increasing omega-3 fatty acids in farm raised catfish. Aquacult. Mag. Sept/Oct, 54-55.
- Mead, J. F., R. B. Alfin-Slater, D. R. Howton and G. Popjak. 1986. Lipids: chemistry, biochemistry and nutrition. Plenum Press, New York, USA.
- Mosconi-Back, N. 1987. Hepatic disturbances induced by an artificial feed in the sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) during the first year of life. Aquaculture 67:93-99.
- Mukhopadhyay, P. K., K. M. Das and S. N. Mohanty. 1991. Freshwater finfish and shell fish nutrition and diet development studies in India. In Proceedings of National Workshop on Animal Biotechnology, pp. 6-14.
- Mukhopadhyay, P. K. and S. Misra. 1998. Effect of feeding different lipid sources on growth, feed efficiency and tissue fatty acid composition of Clarius batrachus fry and fingerlings. J. Appl. Ichthyol. 14:105-107.
- Mukhopadhyay, P. K. and S. K. Rout. 1996. Effect of different dietary lipids on growth and tissue fatty acid changes in the fry of the carp Catla catla. Aquaculture Research 27:623-630.
- Pieper, A. and E. Pfeffer. 1980. Studies on the effect of increasing proportions of sucrose or gelatinized maize starch in diets for rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri R.) on the utilization of dietary energy and protein. Aquaculture 20:333-342.
- Ramachandran Nair, K. G. and K. Gopakumar. 1980. Effects of dietary fat on deposition of fat and fatty acid composition of tilapia (Tilapia mossambica). J. Food. Sci. Technol. 18:108-111.
- Rehulka, J. and J. Parova. 2000. Effects of diets with different lipid and protein contents on some blood and condition indices of rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum). J. Anim. Sci. 45:263-269.
- Reinhold, J. G. 1953. Manual determination of serum total protein, albumin and globulin fractions by Biuret method. In Standard Method of Clinical Chemistry. (Ed. M. Reiner). Academic Press, New York, p. 88.
- Secombes, S. J. 1990. Isolation of salmonid macrophage and analysis of their killing ability. In Techniques in Fish Immunology. (Ed. J. S. Stolen, T. C. Fletcher, D. P. Anderson, B. S. Roberson. and W. B. Van M. Winkel). SOS Publication., New Jersey, pp. 137-152.
- Spangenberg, R. and K. Schreckenbach. 1984. Causes of whirling disease of the carp (Cyprinus carpio). Fortschritte der Fischereiwissenschaft, p. 3.
- Stasiack, A. S. and C. P. Bauman. 1996. Neutrophil activity as a potent indicator for concomitant analysis. Fish Shellfish. Immunol. 37:539.
- Thomassen, M. S. and C. Rosjo. 1989. Different fats in feed for salmon:influence on sensory parameters, growth rate and fatty acids in muscle and heart. Aquaculture 79:129-135.
- Torii, S. I., S. G. Hwang, T. Matsui and H. Yano. 1996. Comparative changes of lipogenic- related enzyme activities by dietary glycerol tricaprylate, tricaprate, trilaurate and trioleate in rat liver and adipose tissues. Anim. Sci. Technol. 67:430-438.
- Viola, S. and G. Amidan. 1980. Observations on the accumulation of fat in carp and sarotherodon (Tilapia) fed oil- coated pellets. Bamidgeh 32:33-40.
- Viola, S. and Y. Arieli. 1983. Nutrition studies with tilapia hybrids 2. The effects of oil supplements to practical diets for intensive aquaculture. Bamidegh 35:44-52.
- Waagbo, R. 1994. The impact of nutritional factors on the immune system in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L: a review. Aquacult. Fish. Manage 25:175-197.
- Wooten, I. D. P. 1964. Microanalysis in medical biochemistry 4 (Ed. J. Churchill and A. Churchill), London. pp. 101-107.
- L. vol.24, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/anu.12664