- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Evaluation on Nutritional Value of Field Crickets as a Poultry Feedstuff
- Wang, Dun (College of Forest, Northwest Sci.-Tech. University of Agriculture and Forestry) ;
- Zhai, Shao Wei (College of Forest, Northwest Sci.-Tech. University of Agriculture and Forestry) ;
- Zhang, Chuan Xi (Institute of Applied Entomology, Zhejiang University) ;
- Bai, Yao Yu (Institute of Applied Entomology, Zhejiang University) ;
- An, Shi Heng (Institute of Applied Entomology, Zhejiang University) ;
- Xu, Ying Nan (College of Animal Science, Zhejiang university)
- Received : 2004.09.20
- Accepted : 2004.12.22
- Published : 2005.05.01
The proximate analysis, amino acid content and true amino acid digestibility and TMEn for poultry of adult Field crickets Gryllus testaceus Walker, were investigated. The insect was also used as partial replacement of protein supplements in the broiler diet on an equal CP percentage and TMEn basis. The results indicated that the adult insect contained: crude protein 58.3%; fat 10.3%, chitin 8.7% and ash 2.96% on dry matter basis, respectively. The total amounts of methionine, cystine and lysine in the Field crickets were 1.93%, 1.01% and 4.79%, respectively, and their true digestibility coefficients, determined in cecectomized roosters, were 94.1%, 85% and 96%, respectively. The TMEn of this insect meal was 2,960 kcal/kg determined in cecectomized roosters. When cornsoybean meal diets were formulated on an equal CP percentage and TMEn basis, up to 15% Field cricket could replace control diet without any adverse affects on broiler weight gain, feed intake or gain:feed ratio from 8 to 20 d posthatching.
- DeFoliart, G. R. 1975. Insects as source of protein. Bull. Ent. Soc. Am. 21(3):161-163.
- Finke, M. D., G. R. DeFoliart and M. L. Sundae. 1985. An evaluation of the protein quality of mormon cricket (Anabrux simplex H.) when used as a high protein feedstuff for poultry. Poult. Sci. 64:708-712.
- Nakagaki, B. J. and G. R. DeFoliart. 1987. Protein quality of the house cricket Acheta domesticus when fed to broiler roosters. Poult. Sci. 66:1367-1371.
- Phelps, R. J., J. K. Struthers and J. L. Moyo. 1975. Investigations into the nutritive value of Macrotermes falciger (Isoptera-Termitidae). Zool. Africana 10(2):123-132.
- Rama Rao, S. V., M. V. L. N. Raju, M. R. Reddy and A. K. Panda. 2004. Replacement of Yellow Maize with Pearl Millet (Pennisetum typhoides), Foxtail Millet (Setaria italica) or Finger Millet (Eleusine coracana) in Broiler Chicken Diets Containing Supplemental Enzymes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:836-842.
- Cho, Y. M., G. W. Lee, J. S. Jang, I. S. Shin, K. H. Myung, K. S. Choi, I. H. Bae and C. J. Yang. 2004. Effects of Feeding Dried Leftover Food on Growth and Body Composition of Broiler Chicks. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:386-393.
- DeFoliart, G. R. 1989. The human use of insects as food and as animal feed. Bull. Ent. Soc. Am. 35:22-35.
- Douglas, M. W., M. L. Johnson and C. M. Parsons. 1997. Evaluation of protein ang energy quality of rendered spent hen meals. Poult. Sci. 76:1387-1391.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1990. SAS User Guide: Statistics. Version 6, 4th Edition. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Parsons, C. M., L. M. Potter and B. A. Bliss. 1982. True metabolizable energy corrected to nitrogen equilibrum. Poult. Sci. 6:2241-2246.
- Conconi, J. R. E. de, J. M. Pino Moreno, C. M. Mayaudon, F. R. Valdez, M. A. Perez, E. E. Prado and H. B. Rodriguez. 1984. Protein content of some edible insect in Mexico. J. Ethnobiol. 4:61-72.
- Sibbald, I. R. 1979. A bioassay for available amino acids and true metabolizable energy in feedstuffs. Poult. Sci. 58:668-673. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0580668
- Khajarern, J. M., S. Khajarern, T. H. Moon and J. H. Lee. 2003. Effects of Dietary Supplementation of Fermented Chitinchitosan (FERMKIT) on Toxicity of Mycotoxin in Ducks. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:706-713.
- Wang, D., J. J. Hu and M. T. Liu. 2001. Preliminary research of preparation chitin from Field cricket. J. Northwest Sci-Tech Univ. Agri. For. (Nat. Sci. Ed.). 29:63-65. (In Chinese, with English abstract).
- Landry, S. V., G. DeFoliart and M. L. Sundae. 1986. Larval protein quality of six species of Lepidoptera (Saturniidae, Sphingidae, Noctuidae). J. Econ. Ent. 79(3):600-604.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia.
- DeFoliart, G. R., M. D. Finke and M. L. Sunde. 1982. Potential value of the Mormon cricket (Orthoptera:Tettigoniidae) harvested as a high protein feed for poultry. J. Econ. Entomol. 75:848-852.
- Wei, M. C. and G. Q. Liu. 2001. The Research and Exploitation of Insect Protein. J. Central South Forestry Uni. 21:86-90 (In Chinese, with English abstract).
- Preliminary evaluation of the nutritive value of the variegated grasshopper (Zonocerus variegatus L.) for African catfish Clarias gariepinus (Burchell. 1822) fingerlings vol.43, pp.3, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2109.2011.02844.x
- Egg production, egg quality and crop content of Rhode Island Red hens grazing on natural tropical vegetation vol.45, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-012-0225-y
- Nutrient composition of insects and their potential application in food and feed in Europe vol.4, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3362/2046-1887.2014.013
- Insect Meals and its Correlation with Chemical Composition Traits vol.14, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4081/ijas.2015.3889
- meal inclusion in free-range chickens vol.100, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12487
- The effect of dietary cricket meal (Gryllus bimaculatus) on growth performance, antioxidant enzyme activities, and haematological response of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) vol.42, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10695-016-0204-8
- Lowering Chitin Content of Cricket (Gryllus assimilis) Through Exoskeleton Removal and Chemical Extraction and its Utilization as a Ruminant Feed in vitro vol.20, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3923/pjbs.2017.523.529
- Productive performance and blood profiles of laying hens fed Hermetia illucens larvae meal as total replacement of soybean meal from 24 to 45 weeks of age vol.96, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pew461
- ) pp.0974-1844, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2017.1357560
- Grasshopper Meal (Ornithacris cavroisi) in Broiler Diets in Niger: Bioeconomic Performance vol.17, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2018.126.133
- : a noxious pest or a promising nutrient source? pp.17535123, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/raq.12300
- Insect meals in fish nutrition pp.17535123, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/raq.12281
- Recent advances in role of insects as alternative protein source in poultry nutrition vol.46, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2018.1474743