- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Pre-partum Feeding of Crossbred Cows on Growth Performance, Metabolic Profile and Immune Status of Calves
- Panigrahi, B. (Division of Livestock Production & Management, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Pandey, H.N. (Division of Livestock Production & Management, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Pattanaik, A.K. (Centre of Advanced Studies in Animal Nutrition, Indian Veterinary Research Institute)
- Received : 2004.05.05
- Accepted : 2004.12.17
- Published : 2005.05.01
The effects of pre-partum feeding management in terms of birth weight, growth, metabolic profile and immunity of calves were studied using 24 crossbred (Bos taurus
- Blum, J. W. and H. Hammon. 2000. Colostrum effects on the gastrointestinal tract, and on nutritional, endocrine and metabolic parameters in neonatal calves. Livest. Prod. Sci. 66:151-159.
- Edmonson, A. J., I. J. Lean, L. D. Weaver, T. Farver and G. Webster. 1989. A body condition scoring chart for Holstein dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 72:68-78.
- NRC. 1989. Nutrient Requirements of Diary Cattle, 6th rev. edn. National Research Council, National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Radostits, O. M., D. C. Blood and C. C. Gay. 1994. Veterinary Medicine, 8th edn. ELBS-Bailliere Tindall, London, p. 1726.
- Santos, J. E. P., E. J. Depeters, P. W. Jardon and J. T. Huber. 2001. Effect of prepartum dietary protein level on performance of primigravid and multiparous Holstein dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 84:213-224.
- Stott, G. H. and A. Fellah. 1983. Colostral immunoglobulin absorption linearly related to concentration for calves. J. Dairy Sci. 66:1319-1328.
- Zlatkis, A., B. Zak, C. J. Boyle and D. Mich. 1953. A new method for determination of serum choloesterol. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 4:486-492.
- Jain, N. C. 1986. Schalm’s Veterinary Hematology, 4th edn. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia.
- Corah, L. R., T. G. Dunn and C. C. Kaltenbach. 1975. Influence of prepartum nutrition on the reproductive performance of beef females and the performance of their progeny. J. Anim. Sci. 41: 819-824.
- Khan, M. A. A., M. N. Islam, M. A. S. Khan and M. A. Akbar. 2004. Effect of feeding high and low energy levels during late pregnancy on performance of crossbred dairy cows and their calves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:947-953.
- Quigley, J. D., III and J. J. Drewry. 1998. Nutrient and immunity transfer from cow to calf pre- and post-calving. J. Dairy Sci. 781:2779-2790.
- Gustaffson, E. C. J. 1976. Improved specificity of serum albumin determination and estimation of ‘acute phase reactants’ by use of bromocresol green reduction. Clin. Chem. 22:616-622.
- Pattanaik, A. K., V. R. B. Sastry and R. C. Katiyar. 1999. Effect of degradable protein and starch sources on the blood metabolites and rumen biochemical profile of early weaned crossbred calves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12:728-734.
- Ferrell, C. L., W. N. Garrett and N. Hinman. 1976. Growth, development and composition of the udder and gravid uterus of beef heifers during pregnancy. J. Anim. Sci. 42:1477.
- Joshi, V. B. and S. S. Sodhi. 1992. Serum protein, immunoglobulin and hemolytic complement levels in the sera of buffalo neonates. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 62:728-731.
- Rahamatulla, M. and T. R. C. Boyde. 1980. Improvement in the determination of urea using diacetyl monoxime method with or without deprotenization. Clin. Chemica. Acta. 107:3-9.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1989. Statistical Methods, 9th edn. The Iowa State University Press, Ames, IA.
- Van Saun, R. J., S. C. Idleman and C. J. Sniffen. 1993. Effect of undegradable protein amount fed prepartum on postpartum production in first lactation Holstein cows. J. Dairy Sci. 76:236-244.
- Kunz, M. M. and L. B. Willett. 1991. Carbohydrate enzyme hematology dynamics in newborn calves. J. Dairy Sci. 74:2109-2118.
- Usmani, R. H. and E. K. Inskeep. 1989. Effect of prepartum feeding on milk yield and calf growth rate in limited suckled and non-suckled buffaloes. J. Dairy Sci. 72:2087-2094.
- McEwan, A. D., E. W. Fisher, I. E. Selman and W. J. Penhale. 1970. A turbidity test for the estimation of immunoglobulin levels in neonatal calf serum. Clin. Chim. Acta. 27:155-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-8981(70)90390-6
- Boisclair, Y., D. G. Grieve, J. B. Stone, O. B. Allen and G. K. Macleod. 1986. Effect of prepartum energy, body condition and sodium bicarbonate on production of cows in early lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 69:2636-2647.
- Baginski, E. S. 1973. Direct microdetermination of serum calcium. Clin. Chem. Acta. 46:46-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-8981(73)90101-0
- Prasad, S. and O. S. Tomer. 1995. Effect of prepartum level of conditioning on certain calving and related parameters on crossbred calves. Indian J. Anim. Prod. Mgmt. 11:139-142.
- Fiske, C. H. and Y. J. SubbaRow. 1925. The colorimetric determination of inorganic phosphorus in blood. J. Biol. Chem. 66:375.
- Hultman, E. 1959. Raped specific method for determination of aldohexoses (aldosaccharides) in body fluids. Nat. 103:108-109.
- Kale, M. M. 1984. Effects of Prepartum Feeding on the Postpartum Performance of Crossbred Cows. M.Sc. Dissertation, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, India.
- Khan, M. A. A., M. N. Islam, M. A. S. Khan and M. A. Akbar. 2002. Effect of restricted and ad libitum feeding during late pregnancy on the performance of crossbred cows and their calves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1267-1272.
- Hough, R. L., F. D. McCarthy, H. D. Kent, D. E. Eversole and M. L. Wahlberg. 1990. Influence of nutritional restriction during late gestation on production measures and passive immunity in beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 68:2622-2627.
- Lone, A. G., Charanbir Singh and S. P. S. Singha. 2003. Plasma protein profile of neonatal buffalo calves in relation to the protein profile of colostrum/milk during first week following parturition. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:348-352.
- Hiller, M. and S. Van. 1927. Colorimetric determination of proteins. J. Clin. Invest. 4:235-242.
- Bertics, S. J., R. R. Grummer, C. Cadorniga-Valino and E. E. Stoddard. 1992. Effect of prepartum dry matter intake on liver triglyceride concentration and early lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 75:1914-1922.
- Nocek, J. E., D. G. Braund and R. G. Wanner. 1984. Influence of neonatal colostrum administration immunoglobulin and continued feeding of colostrum on calf gain, health and serum protein. J. Dairy Sci. 67:319-333.
- Mudgal, V. D., K. K. Singhal and D. D. Sharma. 1995. Advances in Dairy Animal Production, 1st edn. International Book Distributing Company, Lucknow, India.
- Prior, R. L. and D. B. Laster. 1979. Development of the bovine fetus. J. Anim. Sci. 48:1546.