- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Polyherbal Feed Supplement "Growell" during Induced Aflatoxicosis, Ochratoxicosis and Combined Mycotoxicoses in Broilers
- Kalorey, D.R. ;
- Kurkure, N.V. ;
- Ramgaonkar, J.S. ;
- Sakhare, P.S. ;
- Warke, Shubhangi ;
- Nigot, N.K.
- Received : 2003.09.24
- Accepted : 2004.09.06
- Published : 2005.03.01
An experiment was conducted to study the protective role of polyherbal feed supplement (Growell) during induced mycotoxicosis in broilers. A total of 240 Vencobb broilers were divided at day old stage into eight equal groups. Group A served as control and was given plain feed, group B, D, F and H were given Growell at 0.35 g/kg of feed. Group C, D, G and H were given dietary aflatoxin
- Balachandran, C. and R. Ramkrishnan. 1986. Influence of dietary aflatoxin on growth rate, feed consumption and haematology in broiler chicken. Proceedings of National Seminar on 'Avian Diseases' Hyderabad, India.
- Huff, W. E. and J. A. Doerr. 1981. Synergism between aflatoxin and ochratoxin A in broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 60:550-555.
- Kalorey, D. R., N. A. Shete, V. C. Ingle, N. V. Kurkure and S. D. Harne. 2000. In vitro evaluation of antifungal and antitoxic activity of herbomineral premix. Proceedings of XXI Worlds Poultry Congress, Montreal Canada.
- Kubena, L. F., R. B. Harvey, T. D. Phillip and B. A. Clement. 1993. Effect of hydrated sodium calsium alumonosilicate on aflatoxicosis in broiler chicks. Poult. Sci. 72:651-657.
- Lea, T. S. and C. S. Fredick. 1989. Mechnism of ochratoxin a induced immunosuppression. Mycopathologia. 107:153-159.
- Marquardt, R. R. and A. A. Frohlich. 1992. A review of recent advances in understanding ochratoxicosis. J. Anim. Sci. 70:3968-3988.
- Mohiuddin, S. M., S. M. A. Warasi and M. V. Reddy. 1993. Haematological and biochemical changes in experimental ochratoxicosis in broiler chicken. Ind. Vet. J. 70:613-617.
- OIE. 2000. Manual for diagnostic test and vaccines 4th Ed, Office International Des Epizooties.
- Panisup, A. S., R. I. Shah, K. C. Verma and G. C. Mohanty. 1982. Atypical Ranikhet disease oin broiler chicks vaccinated at frequent intervals. Ind. J. Poult. Sci. 17:224-226.
- Singh, G. S. P., H. V. S. Chauhan, G. H. Jha and K. K. Singh. 1990. Immunosuppression due to chronic ochratoxicosis in broiler chicks. J. Comp. Path. 103:399-410 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9975(08)80028-X
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. E. Cochran. 1967. Statistical Methods. 6th Edn. Oxford and IBH Publishing co. New Delhi. India.
- Soni, K. B., A. Ranjan and R. Kuttan. 1992. Reversal of aflatoxin induced liver damage by turmeric and curcumin. Cancer Letters. 66:115-121.
- Sreemannarayana, O., R. R. Marquardt, A. A. Frohlich, D. Abramson and T. D. Phillips. 1989. Organ weights, liver constituents, and serum components in growing chicks fed ochratoxin A. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 18:404-410.
- Tiwary, B. K. and M. C. Goel. 1982. Contact sensitivity to DNCB in normal and cell-mediated immunity deficient chickens: In vivo detection and correlation with lymphocyte transformation and graft-versus host reaction. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 8:329-339.
- Ilgaz, A. 1987. Immunosuppressive effect of aflatoxicosis in chicks vaccinated against New castle disease. Rev. Med. Vet. Myco. 22(Abst.):1405.
- Kozaczynski, W. 1994. Experimental ochratoxicosis A in chickens histopathological and histochemical study. Bulletin of Veterinary Institute of Pulway. 38:205-219.
- Singh, A., K. C. Satija and S. K. Mahipal. 1992. Haematological and biochemical studies on broiler chicks fed aflatoxin B1 and after its withdrawal. Ind. J. Poult. Sci. 27:153-156.
- Abdel-Wahhab, M. A., S. A. Nada and F. A. Khalil. 2002. Physiological and toxiocological responses in rats fed aflatoxin-contaminated diet with or without sorbents materials. Anim. Feed. Sci. Tech. 97:209-219.
- Stove, S. D., G. Anguelov, I. Ivanov and D. Pavlov. 2000. Influence of OA and an extract of artichoke on the vaccinal immunity and health in broiler chicks. Exp. Toxicol. Pathol. 52:43-55.
- El-Karim, S. A., M. S. Arbid, A. H. Soufy, M. Bastamy and M. M. Effat. 1991. Influence of metabolite ochratoxin A on chicken immune response Egyptain J. Com. Pathol. and Clin. Pathol. 4:159-172.
- Manning, R. O. and R. D. Wyatt. 1984. Toxicity of Aspergillus ochraceus contaminated wheat and different chemical forms of ochratoxin A in broiler chicks. Poult. Sci. 63:458-465.
- Doerr, J. A. and R. B. Huff. 1980. Interactive effects of aflatoxin and ochratoxin A on some blood constituents in broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 59:1600-1602.
- Dwivedi, P. and R. B. Burns. 1984. Pathology of ochratoxicosis A in young broiler chicks. Res. Vet. Sci. 36:92-103.
- Kalorey, D. R., N. V. Kurkure, P. S. Sakhare, Shubhangi Warke, and Murtaza Ali. 2001. Effect of Growell on performance, organ weight & serum trace element profile of broilers. Asian Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:677-679.
- Kurkure, N. V., S. P. Pawar, S. M. Kognole, A. G. Bhandarkar, A. G. Ganorkar and D. R. Kalorey. 2000. Ameliorative effect of turmeric (Curcuma longa) in induced aflatoxicosis in cockrels. Ind. J. Vet. Pathol. 24:26-28.
- Balachandran, C. and R. Ramkrishnan. 1987. An experimental study on the pathology of aflatoxicosis in broilers chicken. Ind. Vet. J. 64:911-914.
- Boonchuvit, B. and P. B. Hamilton. 1975. Interaction of aflatoxin and parathyphoid infections in broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 54:1567-1573.
- Santin, E., A. C. Paulillo, P. C. Maioraka, A. C. Alessi, E. L. Krabbe and A. Maiorka. 2002. The effect of ochratoxin A/aluminosilicate interaction on the tissue and hunoral immune response of broilers. Avian Pathology. 31:73-79.
- Giamborne, J. J., U. I. Diener, N. D. Davis, V. S. Panangala and F. J. Hoerr. 1985. Effect of aflatoxin on young turkeys and broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 64:1678-1684.
- Godbole, S. M., D. R. Kalorey, V. C. Ingle, N. V. Kurkure, A. G. Ganorkar and S. D. Harne. 2001. Effect of growell during induced aflatoxicosis in chicks: Growth and haematological studies. Ind. J. Comp. Microbiol. Immuniol. Infect. Dis. 22:183-185.
- Warke, Shubhangi. 2001. Studies on effect of aqueous herbal extract on growth of A. ochraceus, ochratoxin production and its neutralization. M.V.Sc. Thesis approved by Dr. Panjabarao Krishi Vidyapeeth, Akola, India.
- Raju, M. V. L. N. and G. Devegowda. 2000. Influence of esterified glucomannan on performance and organ morphology, serum biochemistry and haematology in broilers exposed to individual and combined mycotoxicosis (aflatoxin, ochratoxin and T-2 toxin). Br. Poult. Sci. 41:640-650. https://doi.org/10.1080/713654986
- Ramadevi, N. R., R. Gopal Naidu and P. Ravikumar. 2000. An assessment of the protective effect of bentonite on ochratoxicosis in broiler with reference to certain haematological profile. Ind. Vet. J. 77:303-306.
- Vassan, P., R. Ravi and M. R. Purshothaman. 1998. Effect of feeding graded levels of aflatoxin (AFB1) on performance of broilers chicks. Ind. J. Poult. Sci. 33:214-216.
- Huff, W. E., L. F. Kubena, R. B. Harvey and T. D. Phillip. 1992. Efficacy of hydrated sodium calcium aluminosillicate to reduce the individual and combined toxicity of aflatoxin and ochratoxin A. Poult. Sci. 71:64-69.
- Campbell, M. L., J. D. May, W. E. Huff and J. A. Doer. 1983. Evaluation of immunity of young broiler chicken during simultaneous aflatoxicosis and ochratoxicosis. Poult. Sci. 62:2138-2144.
- Aved, I. A. M., R. Dafella, A. F. Yogi and S. E. I. Adam. 1991. Effect of ochratoxin A on Lohaman type Chicks. Vet. Human Toxicol. 33:357-560.
- Bakshi, C. S., A. Sikdar, T. S. Johri, Meenakshi Malik and R. K. Singh. 2000. Effect of grade dietary levels of aflatoxoin on humoral immune response in commercial broilers. Ind. J. Comp. Microbiol. Immuniol. Infect. Dis. 21:163-164.
- Rao, V. N. and H. C. Joshi. 1986. Immunosuppression to Ranikhet disease vaccination during induced aflatoxicosis due to aflatoxin B1. Proceedings of National Seminar on 'Avian Diseases' Hyderabad, India.
- Jand, S. K., P. P. Singh and A. Singh. 1995. Observations on occurrence of poultry diseases associated with mycotoxins in feed. Ind. J. Anim. Sci. 65:1063-1067.
- Kalorey, D. R. 1993. Effect of aflatoxin on humoral immune system of chicks. Ph.D. Thesis approved by Panjabarao Krishi Vidyapeeth, Akola, India.
- Mani, K., D. Nrhari, R. Kumaraj and N. Ramamoorthy. 1993. Influence of dietary aflatoxin B1 on certain haematological and biochemical characters of broiler chicken. Ind. Vet. J. 70:801-804.
- Giamborne, J. J., D. L. Ewert, R. D. Wyatt and C. S. Edison. 1978. Effect of aflatoxin on the humoral and cell mediated immune system of the chickens. Am. J. Vet. Res. 39:305-308.
- Tapia, M. O. 1985. A quantitative TLC method for analysis of aflatoxins, OA, zearalenon, T2 toxin and other mycotoxins in food stuff. Revista Argentine de Microbiologin 17:183-186.
- Reddy, N. P., P. V. Rao, V. R. Reddy and B. Yadagiri. 1984. Effect of selected levels of dietary aflatoxin on the performance of broiler chicken. Ind. J. Anim. Sci. 54:68-73.
- Mycotoxin co-contamination of food and feed: meta-analysis of publications describing toxicological interactions vol.4, pp.3, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3920/WMJ2011.1281
- Effects of ochratoxin and T-2 toxin combination on performance, biochemical and immune status of commercial broilers vol.6, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.14202/vetworld.2013.945-949
- ) vol.31, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1177/0748233713485893
- models vol.32, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1080/19440049.2014.970590
- Silymarin: a potent hepatoprotective agent in poultry industry vol.73, pp.03, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933917000538
- Anti-aflatoxin activities of milk thistle (Silybum marianum) in broiler vol.73, pp.03, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933917000514
- The effect of supplementation of multistrain probiotic preparation in combination with vitamins and minerals to the basal diet on the growth performance, carcass traits, and physiological response of broilers vol.11, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14202/vetworld.2018.240-247