- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Prevalence of Lymphocyte Nuclear Pockets in Holstein-Friesian Dairy Cattle Infected with Bovine Leukemia Virus in Korea
- Yoon, Soon-Seek (National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service) ;
- Park, J.W. (National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service) ;
- Jean, Y.H. (National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service) ;
- Kim, H.J. (National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service) ;
- Han, B. (College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University) ;
- Han, H.R. (College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2004.10.17
- Accepted : 2005.01.20
- Published : 2005.06.01
The integral relationship between the occurrence of lymphocyte nuclear pockets (LNPs) and BLV-infection was examined in Holstein-Friesian dairy cattle in Korea. Transmission electron microscope (TEM) was used to detect LNP in peripheral blood lymphocytes. Morphologically, the membranes of LNP were composed of two layers of double nuclear membrane. The full thickness of LNP membranes including inner and outer nuclear membrane was 60 to 70 nm. LNP prevalence was different according to the bovine leukemia virus (BLV) infection status; in BLV-seropositive cattle, LNP prevalence was 48.4% and in BLV-seronegative cattle prevalence was 5.9%. Moreover, even in seropositive animals, leukemic group was the highest at 70% positive among the groups, followed by suspect group (42.4%) and aleukemic group (23.1%). Consequently, the numbers of LNP were increased in proportion to increase of the numbers of leukocytes among BLV-seropositive cattle. The numbers of LNP per lymphocyte were increased in BLVseropositive cattle compared with seronegative cattle. The mean numbers of LNP per 100-lymphocytes were 0.35, 0.77, 1.64 and 4.7 in BLV-seronegative, BLV-seropositive aleukemic, suspect and leukemic groups, respectively. Thus, it is reasonable that LNP test can be used as the one of the diagnostic criteria of BLV infection.
- Burny, A. and M. Mammerickx. 1987. Enzootic bovine leukosis and bovine leukemia virus. Kluwer. Martinus Nijhoff Publishing, Boston.
- Miller, J. M., L. D. Miller, K. G. Gillette and C. Olson. 1969b. Incidence of lymphocytic nuclear projections in bovine lymphosarcoma. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 43:719-727.
- Smith, G. F. and P. T. O'Hara. 1968. Structure of nuclear pockets in human leukocytes. J. Ultrastructure Res. 21:415-423.
- Stock, N. D. and J. Ferrer. 1972. Replicating C-type virus in phytohemaglutinin-treated buffy-coat cultures of bovine origin. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 48:985-996.
- Straub, O. C. 1978. Diagnosis of enzootic bovine leukosis: a comparison of hematological and immunidiffusion tests. Res. Vet. Sci. 25:13-15.
- Suh, G. H. 2004. Establishment of a bovine leukemia virus-free dairy cattle. Ph.D. Thesis, Cheonnam national university, Kwangju, South Korea.
- Weber, A., M. Fahning, R. H. Hammer and C. Jessen. 1973. Relationship between nuclear pockets in bovine peripheral blood lymphocytes and C-type virus particles in cultures of these cells. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 51:81-88.
- Weber, A., H. Bendixen, R. Hammer, C. Jessen and K. Pomeroy. 1974. Correlative studies of the frequency of blood lymphocytic nuclear pockets and persistent lymphocytosis in cattle. Am. J. Vet. Res. 35(4):537-541.
- Pomeroy, K. A., P. S. Paul, A. F. Weber, D. K. Sorensen and D. W. Johnson. 1977. Evidence that B-lymphocytes carry the nuclear pocket abnormality associated with bovine leukemia virus infection. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 59(1):281-283.
- Roberts, D. H., M. H. Lucas and C. Swallow. 1989. Comparison of the agar gel immunodiffusion test and ELISA in the detection of bovine leukosis virus antibody in cattle persistently infected with bovine diarrhoea virus. Vet. Immunol. Immunpathol. 22:275-281.
- Bloch, B., H. J. Bendixen and E. Lund. 1975. The possible utilization of nuclear pockets on lymphocytes in the diagnosis of enzootic bovine leukosis. Acta. Path. Microbiol. Scand. Sect. A 83:511-518.
- Joo, Y. S., J. S. Moon, L. K. Fox, G. H. Suh, N. H. Kwon, S. H. Kwon, S. H. Kim and Y. H. Park. 2003. Comparison of natural resistance-associated macrophage protein (NRAMP)1 expression between cows with high and low milk somatic cells counts. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(12):1830-1836.
- Baliga, V. and J. F. Ferrer. 1977. Expression of the bovine leukemia virus and its internal antigen in blood lymphocytes. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 156:388-391.
- Hwang, I. H. and J. M. Thomson. 2002. A technique to quantify the extent of postmortem degradation of meat ultrastructure. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(1):111-116.
- Chevallier, N., M. Berthelemy, D. L. Rhun, V. Laine, D. Levy and I. S. Cornil. 1998. Bovine leukemia virus-induced lymphocytosis and increased cell survival mainly involve the CD11b+ B-lymphocyte subset in sheep. J. Virol. 72(5):4413- 4420.
- Sen, A. R. and N. Sharma. 2004. Effects of freezing and thawing on the histology and ultrastructure of buffalo muscle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(9):1291-1295.
- Weber, A., J. Andrews, B. Dickinson, V. Larson, R. Hanner, V. Dirks, D. Sorensen and S. Fronnes. 1969. Occurrence of nuclear pockets in lymphocytes of normal, persistent lymphocytotic and leukemic adult cattle. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 43:1307-1315.
- Smith, G. F. and P. T. O'Hara. 1967. Nuclear pockets in normal leukocytes. Nat. 215:773.
- Miller, L. D., J. M. Miller and C. Olson. 1972. Inoculation of calves with particles resembling C-type virus from cultures of bovine lymphosarcoma. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 48:423-428.
- Bendixen, H. J. 1965. Bovine Enzootic Leukosis. Adv. Vet. Sci. and Comp. Med. 10:129-204.
- Jun, M. H., U. I. Chung, C. K. Lee, S. Y. Baig and C. H. Lim. 1982. Seroepizootiological study on bovine leukosis in Korea. Kor. J. Vet. Res. 22(2):175-185.
- Schwartz, I. and D. Levy. 1994. Pathobiology of bovine leukemia virus. Vet. Res. 25: 521-536.
- Weber, A., C. Bingham, K. Pomeroy and E. Dias. 1980. Enzootic bovine leukosis: Prevalence of blood lymphocytes nuclear pockets in dairy bulls in the United States and foreign countries. Am. J. Vet. Res. 41(1):14-17.
- Burny, A., Y. Cleuter, R. Kettmann, M. Mammerickx, G. Marbaix, D. Portetelle, A. Van Den Broeke, L. Willems and R. Thomas. 1988. Bovine leukemia: Facts and hypothesis derived from study of an infectious cancer. Adv. Vet. Sci. Comp. Med. 32:149-170.
- Miller, J. M., L. D. Miller, C. Olson and K. G. Gillette. 1969a. Virus-like particle in phytohemagglutinin-stimulated lymphocyte cultures with reference to bovine lymphosarcoma. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 43:1297-1305.
- Comparison of the diagnostic methods on the canine adenovirus type 2 infection vol.3, pp.2, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1755-9294.2010.01073.x