- Volume 18 Issue 6
This paper describes the purification and properties of a multicatalytic proteinase complex, proteasome, from bovine skeletal muscle, in comparision with proteasome prepared from other species or organs. The purified bovine skeletal muscle proteasome exhibited a single band on polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis under nondenaturing conditions. Bovine skeletal muscle proteasome degraded synthetic peptides maximally at pH 8.0. Relative to pH 8.0, activities were gradually decreased with the lowering pH, but the extent of decrease was substrate-dependent, and the activity at pH 5.5 still retained 78-10% of the activity at pH 8.0, indicating the possibility that the proteasome is active in muscle during aging. When the proteasome was heated at 60
Bovine;Proteasome;SDS Treatment;Heat Treatment;Immunobloting;Meat Aging
- Kanayama, H., T. Tamura, S. Ugai, S. Kagawa, N. Tanahashi, T. Yoshimura, K. Tanaka and A. Ichihara. 1992. Demonstration that a human 26S proteolytic complex consists of a proteasome and multiple associated protein components and hydrolyzes ATP and ubiquitin-ligated proteins by closely linked mechanisms. Eur. J. Biochem. 206:567-578.
- Laemmli, U. K. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage. Nature 227:680-685. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
- Rivett, A. J. 1993. Proteasome: multicatalytic proteinase complexs. Biochem. J. 291:1-10.
- Robert, N., M. Briand, R. Taylor and Y. Briand. 1999. The effect of proteasome on myofibrillar structures in bovine skeletal muscle. Meat Sci. 51:149-153.
- Taylor, R. G., C. Tassy, M. Briand, N. Robert, Y. Briand and A. Ouali. 1995. Proteolytic activity of proteinase on myofibrillar structure. Mol. Biol. Rep. 21:71-73.
- Wilk, S. and M. Orlowski. 1983. Evidence that pituitary cationsensitive neutral endopeptidase is a multicatalytic proteinase complex. J. Neurochem. 40:842-849.
- Rivett, A. J. 1989a. The multicatalytic proteinase of mammalian cells. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 268:1-8.
- Tanaka, K., K. Ii, A. Ichihara, L. Waxman and A. L. Goldberg. 1986. A high molecular weight proteinase in the cytosol of rat liver. J. Biol. Chem. 261:15197-15203.
- Dahlmann, B., M. Rutschmann, L. Kuehn and H. Reinauer. 1985. Activation of the multicatalytic proteinase from rat skeletal muscle by fatty acid or sodium dodecyl sulphate. Biochem. J. 228:171-177.
- Mykles, D. L. 1989a. High-molecular-weight serine proteinase from lobster muscle that degrades myofibrillar proteins. J. Exp. Zool. 250:244-252. https://doi.org/10.1002/jez.1402500303
Kimura, S. and K. Maruyama. 1989. Isolation of
$\alpha$-connectin, an elastic protein, from rabbit skeletal muscle. J. Biochem. 106:952-954.
- Davis, B. J. 1964. Disk electrophoresis-II. Method and application to human serum protein. Annals of the New York Academy of Sci. 121:404-427.
- Wagner, B. J. and J. W. Margolis. 1993. Thermal stability and activation of bovine lens multicatalytic proteinase complex (proteasome). Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 307:146-152.
- Matsuishi, M. and A. Okitani. 1997. Proteasome from rabbit skeletal muscle: Some properties and effect on muscle proteins. Meat Sci. 45:451-462.
- Mellgren, R. L. 1990. Interaction of human erythrocyte multicatalytic proteinase with polycations. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 995:181-186.
- Mykles, D. L. and M. F. Haire. 1995. Branched-chain-amino-acidpreferring peptidase activity of the lobster multicatalytic proteinase (proteasome) and the degradation of myofibrillar proteins. Biochem. J. 306:285-291.
- Orlowski, M. and S. Wilk. 1981. A multicatalytic proteinase complex from pituitary that froms enkephalin and enkephalin containing peptides. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 101:814-822.
- Akashi, T., T. Shiomi, H. Sawada and H. Yokosawa. 1996. Purification and properties of the 26S proteasome from the rat brain: Evidence for its degradation of myelin basic protein in a ubiquitin-dependent manner. Brain Research 722:139-144.
- Otsuka, Y., N. Homma, K. Shiga, J. Ushiki, Y. Ikeuchi and A. Suzuki. 1998. Purification and properties of rabbit muscle proteasome, and its effect on myofibrillar structure. Meat Sci. 49:365-378.
- Hoffman, L., C. Gorbea and M. Rechsteiner. 1999. Identification, molecular cloning, and characterization of subunit 11 of the human 26S proteasome. FEBS Lett. 449:88-92.
- Kim, K., Y. Ikeuchi and A. Suzuki. 1995. Cleavage of connectin by calpain and cathepsin D. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 59:896-899.
Koohmaraie, M. 1992. Ovine skeletal muscle multicatalytic proteinase complex (proteasome): purification, characterization and comparision of its effects on myofibrils with
$\mu$-calpains. J. Anim. Sci. 70:3697-3708.
- Sentandreu, M. A., G. Coulis and A. Ouali. 2002. Role of muscle endopeptidases and their inhibitors in meat tenderness. Trends Food Sci. Tech. 13:398-419.
- Towbin, H., T. Staehelin and J. Gordon. 1979. Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheet: Procedure and some applications. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 76:4350-4354.
- Mykles, D. L. 1989b. Purification and characterization of multicatalytic proteinase from crustacean muscle: comparison of latent and heat-activated forms. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 274:216-228.
- Ouali, A. 1992. Proteolytic and physicochemical mechanisms involved in meat texture development. Biochinie. 74:251-265.
- Trinick, J., P. Knight and A. Whiting. 1984. Purification and properties of native titin. J. Mol. Biol. 180:331-356.
- Rivett, A. J. 1989b. The multicatalytic proteinase. J. Biolog. Chem. 264:12215-12219.
- Orlowski, M. 1990. The multicatalytic proteinase complex, a major extralysosomal proteolytic system. Biochemistry. 29:10289-10297.
- Gardrat, F., B. Fraigneau, V. Montel, J. Raymond and J. L. Azanza. 1999. Effect of high hydrostatic pressure on 20S proteasome activity. Eur. J. Biochem. 262:900-906.
Supported by : Japan Society or the Promotion of Science (JSPS)