- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Odds Ratio and Probability of Conception of Holstein Friesian Dairy Cows in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Ali, A.K.A. ;
- ALEssa, A.A. ;
- Alshaikh, M.A. ;
- Aljumaah, R.S. ;
- Al-Haidary, A.A. ;
- Alkraidees, M.S.
- Received : 2004.01.29
- Accepted : 2004.10.04
- Published : 2005.03.01
Logistic Regression Analysis was used to compute the odds ratio (OR) and probability of conception of Holstein dairy cows of AL-MARAIE company. Data consisted of 103,778 reproductive records collected from three farms in the central region in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Records were classified according to lactation number, season of calving and milk level. At first lactation, OR of first service was 0.63 of other services and probability of pregnancy from first services was 0.39. Odds ratio increased to 1.72 at fourth lactation or probability of conception reached 0.63. The probability of conception increased from 0.39 for cows inseminated at first services to 0.75 at fifth service insemination. Odds ratio of cows calving in winter were higher than those calving in summer. Odds ratio of conception of low producing cows is about twice as likely to occur from first service as from other services. However, OR of conception of high producing cows was higher than one (probability=0.56) from first service and increased to 1.63 (probability=0.65) from third service. Odds ratio was in favor of the right uterus horn where probability of conception from first service was slightly greater than 50% in first and second lactations and less than 50% in favor of left horn in later lactations.
Conception;Odd Ratio;Holstein Cattle;Logistic Regression
- Evans, R. D., F. Buckley, P. Dillon and R. F. Veerkamp. 2002. Genetic Parameters for production and fertility in Springcalving Irish dairy cattle. Irish, J. Agric. Res. 41: 43-54.
- French, M. 2002. Assessing phosphorus and potassium on Oregon Dairies. OSU Dairy Extension and Research report. The Willamette valley, Oregon.
- Gregory, K. E., S. E. Echternkamp and L.V. Cundiff. 1995. Effects of twinning on Daystocia, calf survival, calf growth, carcass traits and cow productivity. J. Anim. Sci. 74:1223-1233.
- Ingraham, R. H., D. D. Gillette and W. E. Wagner. 1974. Relationship of temperature and humidity to conception rate of Holstein Cows in subtropical climate. J. Dairy Sci. 57:476.
- Olds, D., T. Copeer and F. A. Thrift. 1979. Effect of days open on economic aspect of current lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 62:1167.
- Spadling, R. W., R. W. Everett and R. H. Fool. 1975. Fertility in New York artificially inseminated Holstein herds in DHIA. J. Dairy Sci. 58:718-728. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(75)84633-9
- Everett, R. W., D. V. Armstong and L. J. Boyd. 1966. Genetic relationship between production and breeding efficiency. J. Dairy Sci. 49:879.
- Oconnor, M. L. 2002. Reviewing artificial Insemination Technique. Internet report of the National data Base, Pennsylvania.
- Bagnato, A. C. and P. A. Oltenacu. 1994. Phenotypic evaluation of fertility treats and their association with milk production of Italian Friesian cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 77:874-882.
- Badinga, L., R. J. Collier, W. W. Thatcher and C. J. Wilcox. 1985. Effect of climatic and management factors on Conception rate of Dairy Cattle in subtropical environment. J. Dairy. Sci. 68:78-85.
- Fernandes-Beca, S. Hanse, W and C. Novoa. 1970. Embryonic mortality in the alpaca. Biol. Repro. 3:243-251.
- Hiroshi, U., Jin Kobayasi, Tatsushi I, Keiichi Suzuki and Takuro Oikawa. 2002. Current level of reproduction performance in Japanese black cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1098-1102
- Hosmer, D. W. and S. Lemeshow. 2002. Applied Logistic Regression. John Wiley & sons, INC. NY.
- Faust, M. A., B. T. McDaniel and O. W. Robinson. 1989. Genetics of reproduction in primiparous Holsteins. J. Dairy Sci. 72:194-201.
- Tibary, A. and A. Anouassi. 1997. Reproduction physiology in female Camelidae. In institute Agronamique et Vetennairie Hassan 11ed. Theriognology in Camelidae. Rabat; Abu Dhab. Priuting and publishing company, 169-241.
- Ali, A. K. A., A. A L-Haidary, M. A. Al- Shaikh, M. H. Gamil and E. Hayes. 1999. Effect of Day open on lactation curve of Holstein cows in Saudi Arabia.Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 13:227-286.
- Echternkamp, S. E and K. E. Gregory. 2002. Reproductive, growth, feedlot and Carcass traits of twin Vs single birth in cattle J. Anim. Sci. 80 (E. Supp 1.2) 64-73.
- Nebel, R. L. and M. L. McGilliard. 1993. Interactions of high milk yield and reproduction performance in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 76:3257-3268.
- Skidmore, J. A., M. Billah and W. R. Allen. 1996. The ovarian follicular wave pattern and induction of ovulation in the mated and non-mated one-humped (Camelus dramedaurius) J. Reprod. Fert. 106:185-192.
- Hillers, J. K., P. L. Senger, R. L. Darlington and W. N. Fleming. 1984. Effects of production, season, age of cow, Days dry and days in milk on conception to first service in large commercial dairy herds. J. Dairy Sci. 67:861-867.
- Hansen, L. B., A. E. Freeman and P. J. Berger. 1983. Yield and fertility relationship in dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 66:293-305.
- SAS User Guide. 1985. Statistical Analysis System. SAS Institute Inc., Carry NC USA.
- McCullagh, P. and J. A. Nelder. 1989. Generalized Linear Models, 2nd edition. Chapman and Hall, London.
- Hafez, E. S. E. 2000. Reproduction in Farm Animals, lea and Febiger. USA.
- Oltenacu, P. A., A. Frick and Linth. 1991. Relationship of fertility to milk yiels in Swidish cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 74:264-268.
- Salah, M. S. and H. H. Mogawer. 1990. Reproductive performance of Friesian Cows in Saudi Arabia Resting and service interval, conception rate and number of services per conception. Beitr. Trep Landwirtsch Vet. Med. 28-91.
- Butler, W. R. and R. D. Smith. 1989. Interrelationship between energy balance and postpartum reproduction function in dairy cattle .J. Dairy Sci. 72:767-783.