- Volume 18 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effect of Probiotic Inclusion in the Diet of Broiler Chickens on Performance, Feed Efficiency and Carcass Quality
- Khaksefidi, A. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Gonbad Agriculture, Gorgan University of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources) ;
- Rahimi, Sh. (Department of Poultry Science. College of Agriculture, Tarbiat Modarres University)
- Received : 2004.09.22
- Accepted : 2005.02.14
- Published : 2005.08.01
An experiment was conducted with three hundred and twenty broiler chickens to evaluate the influence of supplementation of probiotic on growth, microbiological status and carcass quality of chickens. The probiotic contained similar proportions of six strains of variable organisms namely Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Aspergillus oryzae, Streptococcus faecium and Torulopsis sps and was fed at 100 mg/kg diet. The body weight and feed conversion of probiotic fed groups were superior (p<0.05) compared to the control group in the 4th, 5th and 6th weeks. The chickens fed the diet with probiotic had lower (p<0.05) numbers of coliforms and Campylobacter than chickens fed the control diet. All chickens' carcasses on the control diet were positive for Salmonella while only 16 of the 40 carcasses were positive from chickens fed diets containing probiotic. The leg and breast meat of probiotic fed chickens were higher (p<0.05) in moisture, protein and ash, and lower in fat as compared to the leg and breast meat of control chickens.
- Chiang, S. H. and W. M. Hsieh. 1995. Effect of direct-fed microorganisms on broiler growth performance and litter ammonia level. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 8(2):159-162.
- Fritts, C. A., J. H. Kersey, M. A. Motl, E. C. Kroger, F. Yan, J. Si, Q. Jiang, M. M. Compos, A. L. Waldroup and P. W. Waldroup. 2000. Bacillus subtilis C-3102 (calsporin) improves live performance and microbiological status of broiler chicken. J. Appl. Poult. Sci. 9:149-155.
- Kumprecht, I. and P. Zobac. 1998. The effect of Bacillus sp. based probiotic preparations in diets with different protein contents on performance and nitrogen metabolism in chick broilers. Czech. J. Anim. Sci. 43(7):327-335.
- Maruta, K., H. Miyazaki, SH. Masuda, M. Takahashi, T. Marubashi, Y. Tadano and H. Takahashi. 1996. Exclusion of intestinal pathogens by continuous feeding with Bacillus subtilis C-3102 and its influence on the intestinal microflora in broilers. Anim. Sci. Tech. 67(3):273-280.
- Mohan, B., R. Kadirvel, A. Natarajan and M. Bhaskaran. 1996. Effect of probiotic supplementation on growth, nitrogen utilisation and serum cholesterol in broilers. Br. Poult. Sci. 37:395-401.
- Food and Drug Administration. 1992. Bacteriological Analytical Manual. 7th Ed. Food and Drug Admin. And Assn. Offic. Anal. Chem., Arlington, VA.
- Cox, N. A., J. E. Thomson and J. S. Baily. 1983. Procedure for the isolation and identification of Salmonella from poultry carcasses. Agriculture Handbook No. 603. USDA, Agric. Res. Service, Washington, DC.
- Nahashon, S. N., H. S. Nakaue and L. W. Mirosh. 1992. Effect of direct-fed microbials on nutrient retention production parameters of laying pullets. Poult. Sci. 71(suppl.1):111.
- Endo, T. and M. Nakano. 1999. Influence of a probiotic on productivity, meat components, lipid metabolism, caecal flora and metabolites, and raising environment in broiler production. Anim. Sci. J. 70(4):207-218.
- Nahashon, S. N., H. S. Nakaue and L. W. Mirosh. 1994. Production variable and nutrient retention in single comb white leghorn laying pullets fed diets supplemented with direct-fed microbials. Poult. Sci. 73:1699-1711.
- Pietras, M. 2001. The effect of probiotic on selected blood and meat parameters of broiler chickens. J. Anim. Feed. Sci. 10 (suppl 2):297-302.
- AOAC. 1994. Official Methods of Analysis, 14th Ed., Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 2:431-443. Washington, DC.
- Joy, A. D. and J. J. Samuel. 1997. Effect of probiotic supplementation on the performance of broiler. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 28(1):10-14.
- Salminen, S., A. von Wright, L. Morelli, P. Martean, D. Brassart, W. M. de Vos, R. Fonden and T. Matills-Sandholm. 1998. Demonstration of safety of probiotic-A Review. Intl. J. Food Microbiol. 44:93-106.
- Cmiljanic, R., M. Lukic and S. Trenkovski. 2001. The effect of 'paciflor-c' probiotic on gain, feed conversion and mortality of fattening chicks. Biotec. Anim. Husb. 17(3-4):33-38.
- Jin, L. Z., Y. W. Ho, N. Abdullah and S. Jalaludin. 1996. Influence of dried Bacillus subtilis and lactobacilli cultures on intestinal microflora and performance in broilers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 9:397-404.
- Bacterial fermentation in the gastrointestinal tract of non-ruminants: Influence of fermented feeds and fermentable carbohydrates vol.41, pp.7, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-009-9327-6
- No causal link between obesity and probiotics vol.7, pp.12, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1038/nrmicro2209-c2
- Efficacy of Rhodopseudomonas containing multi-microbe probiotic on growth performance, mortality and cecal microflora in broilers vol.10, pp.26, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5897/AJMR2016.8114
- Dietary Probiotic Effect of Lactococcus lactis WFLU12 on Low-Molecular-Weight Metabolites and Growth of Olive Flounder (Paralichythys olivaceus) vol.9, pp.1664-302X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2018.02059
- Effect of probiotic and vinegar on growth performance, meat yields, immune responses, and small intestine morphology of broiler chickens vol.17, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/1828051X.2018.1424570
- Effect of supplementation of either powdered or encapsulated probiotic on carcass percentage, giblets and small intestinal morphometric of local duck vol.1146, pp.1742-6596, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1146/1/012039