- Volume 18 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Estimation of the Cumulative Power of Discrimination in Haimen Chicken Populations with Ten Microsatellite Markers
- Olowofeso, O. (Department of Animal Genetics, Breeding and Reproduction, Yangzhou University) ;
- Wang, J.Y. (Department of Animal Genetics, Breeding and Reproduction, Yangzhou University) ;
- Shen, J.C. (Department of Animal Genetics, Breeding and Reproduction, Yangzhou University) ;
- Chen, K.W. (Institute of Poultry Science) ;
- Sheng, H.W. (Department of Animal Genetics, Breeding and Reproduction, Yangzhou University) ;
- Zhang, P. (Department of Animal Genetics, Breeding and Reproduction, Yangzhou University) ;
- Wu, R. (Department of Animal Genetics, Breeding and Reproduction, Yangzhou University)
- Received : 2004.09.26
- Accepted : 2005.01.28
- Published : 2005.08.01
To estimate the cumulative power of discrimination (CPD) existing within Haimen chicken populations in China, we isolated a total of 252 genomic DNAs from four chicken populations (Rugao, Jiangchun, Wan-Nan and Cshiqishi) through a saturated salt procedure. All the genomic DNAs were used in a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) with ten microsatellite markers. Amplified PCR-products with the selected markers were separated on a 12% polyacrylamide gel with pBR322DNA/MspI used as internal standard marker. Genetic diversity indices including mean allele number among loci, unbiased heterozygosity (
- Bartfai, R., S. Egedi, G. H. Yue, B. Kovacs, B. Urbanyi, G. Tamas, L. Horvath and L. Orban. 2003. Genetic analysis of two common carp broodstocks by random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) and microsatellite markers. J. Aquaculture 219:157-167.
- Botstein, D., R. L. White and M. Skolnick. 1980. Construction of genetic linkage map in man using restriction fragment length polymorphisms. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 32:314-331.
- Chen, G. H., X. S. Wu, D. Q. Wang, J. Qin, S. L. Wu, Q. L. Zhou, F. Xie, R. Cheng, Q. Xu, B. Liu, X. Y. Zhang and O. Olowofeso. 2004. Cluster analysis of 12 Chinese native chicken populations using microsatellite markers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(8):1047-1052.
- Chen, H., L. Leibenguth and Z. Bi-cai. 2002. DNA fingerprinting in five animal species using microsatellite probes. In: Proceedings of the 8th National Symposium on Animal Genetic Markers. 8(1):67-71, Oct., Yangling, China.
- Nei, M. 1987. Molecular Evolutionary Genetics. Columbia University Press, New York.
- Sambrook, J., E. F. Fritsch and T. Maniatis. 1989. Molecular cloning- A laboratory manual. Vol. 2, 2nd edition. Cold Spring Harbour, Laboratory Press, USA.
- Sano, A., Z. Huiling, M. Kimura, C. Hong and K. Nosawa. 1997. Genetic variability in commercial Quail populations in Shaanxi, China. In: Studies on Animal Genetic Resources in China, Edited by Chang Hong, Nov., Pages 223-229.
- Wimmers, K., S. Ponsuksili, T. Hardge, A. Valle-Zarate, P. K. Mathur and P. Horst. 2000. Genetic distinctness of African, Asian and South American local chickens. Anim. Genet. 31:159-165.
- Wu, X. S. 2004. Study on genetic diversity in Chinese indigenous chicken breeds using microsatellite markers and their relationships between performance and microsatellite loci. Ph.D. Thesis, Yangzhou University, Yangzhou, China.
- Chenyambuga, S. W., O. Hanotte, J. Hirbo, P. C. Watts, S. J. Kemp, G. C. Kifaro, P. S. Gwakisa, P. H. Petersen and J. E. O. Rege. 2004. Genetic characterization of indigenous Goats of Subsaharan Africa using microsatellite DNA markers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(4):445-452.
- Emara, M. G. and H. Kim. 2003. Genetic markers and their application in Poultry Breeding. Poult. Sci. 82:952-957.
- Ponsuksili, S., K. Wimmers, F. Scmoll, P. Horst and K. Schellander. 1999. Comparison of multilocus DNA fingerprints and microsatellites in an estimate of genetic distances in chicken. J. Hered. 6:656-659.
- Barker, J. S. F. 1994. A global protocol for determining genetic distances among domestic livestock breeds. In: Proceedings of the 5th World Congress of Genetics Applied to Livestock Production. 21:501-508.
- Miller, S. A., D. D. Dykes and H. F. Plosky. 1988. A simple salting out procedure for extracting DNA from human nucleated cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 16:1215.
- Shen, J. C. 2004. Study on genetic diversity of nine indigenous Chinese chicken breeds using microsatellite markers. M.Sc. Thesis, Yangzhou University, Yangzhou, China.
- Vanhala, T., M. Tuiskala-Haavisto, K. Elo, J. Vilkki and A. Maki-Tanila. 1998. Evaluation of genetic variability and genetic distances between eight chicken lines using microsatellite markers. Poult. Sci. 77:783-790.
- Fan, B., B. Liu and K. Li. 2002. The application of microsatellite DNA marker in animal individual verification and breed assignment. In: Proceedings of the 8th National Symposium on Animal Genetic Markers. 8(1):35-38, Oct., Yangling, China.
- Yang, Z. P., H. Chang, W. Sun, R. Q. Gen, Y. J. Mao and K. Tsunoda. 2004. A comparison of two kinds of markers applied in analysis of genetic diversity in Sheep and Goat populations. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(7):892-896.
- Zhang, X., F. C. Leung, D. K. O. Chan, G. Yang and C. Wu. 2002. Genetic diversity of Chinese native chicken breeds based on protein polymorphism, random amplified polymorphic DNA and microsatellite polymorphism. Poult. Sci. 81:1463-1472.