- Volume 18 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effect of Low Ambient Temperature on the Concentration of Free Radicals Related to Ascites in Broiler Chickens
- Han, Bo (College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University) ;
- Yoon, Soon-Seek (National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service) ;
- Han, Hong-Ryul (College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University) ;
- Qu, Wei-jie (College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University) ;
- Nigussie, Fikru (College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2004.10.16
- Accepted : 2005.02.16
- Published : 2005.08.01
A flock of Arbor Acres chickens were reared in cages and provided with high energy pelleted feed. At 14 d of age, a total of 350 birds were separated into 3 groups randomly as follows: 100 birds were exposed to ambient temperature of 20
Supported by : postdoctoral foundation of China (PDFC)
- Bottje, W. G., B. Enkvetchakul, R. Moore and R. McNew. 1995a. Robert Moore: Effect of a-tocopherol on antioxidants, lipid peroxidation and the incidence of pulmonary hypertension syndrome (ascites) in broilers. Poult. Sci. 74:1356-1369.
- Mirsalimi, S. M., R. J. Julian and E. J. Squires. 1993. Effect of hypobaric hypoxia on slow- and fast-growing chickens fed diets with high and low protein levels. Avain Disease 37:660-667.
- Seccombe, J. F., P. J. Pearson and H. V. Schaff. 1994. Oxygen radical-mediated vascular injury selectively inhibits receptordependent release of nitric oxide from canine coronary artery cells. J. Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 107:505-509.
- Wideman, R. F., M. Ismail, Y. K. Kirby, W. G. Bottje, R. W. Moore and R. C. Vardeman. 1995. Furosemide reduces the incidence of pulmonary hypertension syndrome (ascites) in broilers exposed to cool environmental temperatures. Poult. Sci. 74:314-322.
- Cawthon, D., M. Iqbal, J. Brand, R. McNew and W. G. Bottje. 2004. Investigation of proton conductance in liver mitochondria of broilers with pulmonary hypertension syndrome. Poult. Sci. 83(2):259-265.
- Yagi, K. 1976. A simlpe fluorometric assay for lipoperoxide in blood plasma. Biochem. Med. 15:212-216.
- Iqbal, M., D. Cawthon, R. F. Wideman and W. G. Bottje. 2001. Lung mitochondrial dysfunction in pulmonary hypertension syndrome. II. Oxidative stress and inability to improve function with repeated additions of adenosine diphosphate. Poult. Sci. 80(5):656-665.
- SAS. 1994. SAS/STAT User's Guide: SAS Institute Inc., Cary. North Carolina.
- Wang, W., N. Inoue, T. Nakayama, M. Ishii and T. Kato. 1995. An assay method for nitric oxide synthase in crude samples by determining product NADP. Anal. Bioch. 227:274-280.
- Park, Y. and J. P. Kehre. 1991. Oxidative changes in hypoxicreoxygenatedrabbit heart: a consequence of hypoxia rather than reoxygenation. Free Radical Research Communication. 14:179-185.
- Fridovich, I. 1978. The biology of oxygen radicals. Sci. 201:875-880.
- Kehrer, J. P. 1993. Free radicals as mediators of tissue injury and disease. Critical Reviews in Toxicology 23(1):21-48. https://doi.org/10.3109/10408449309104073
- Moreno, S. M. and A. Hernandez. 2003. Nitric oxide synthase expression in the endothelium of pulmonary arterioles in normal and pulmonary hypertensive chickens subjected to chronic hypobaric hypoxia. Avian Dis. 47(4):1291-1297. https://doi.org/10.1637/6006
- Han, B., S. S. Yoon, J. L. Su, H. R. Han, M. Wang, W. J. Qu and D. B. Zhong. 2004b. Effects of selenium, copper and magnesium on antioxidant enzymes and lipid peroxidation in bovine fluorosis. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(12):1695-1699.
- Green, L. C., D. A. Wagner and J. Glogowsh. 1987. Analysis of nitrate, nitrite and nitrate in biological fluids. Anal. Bioch. 126:131-138.
- Julian, R. J. 2004. Production and growth related disorders and other metabolic diseases of poultry: a review. The Vet. J. 168(3):215-223.
- Dawson, Y. L., G. L. Gores and A. L. Nieminen. 1993. Mitochondria as a source of reactive oxygen species during reductive stress in rats hepatocytes. Am. J. Phy. 264:C961-967.
- Bottje, W. G. and R. F. Wideman. 1995b. Potential role of free radicals in the pathogenesis of pulmonary hypertension syndrome. Poult. Av. Biol. Rev. 6:211-231.
- Iqbal, M., D. Cawthon, K. Beers, R. F. Wideman and W. G. Bottje. 2002. Antioxidant enzyme activities and mitochondrial fatty acids in pulmonary hypertension syndrome (PHS) in broilers. Poult. Sci. 81(2):252-60. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/81.2.252
- Nebot, C., M. Moutet, P. Huet, J. Z. Xu, J. C. Yadan and J. Chaudiére. 1993. Spectrophotometric assay of superoxide dismutase activity based on the activated autoxidation of a tetracyclic catechol. Anal. Biochem. 214:442-451.
- Sala, R., E. Moriggi, G. Corvasce and D. Morelli. 1993. Protection by N-acetylcysteine against pulmonary endothelial cell damage induced by oxidant injury. Euro. Resp. J. 6(3):440-446
- Zhang, L. J., Q. K. Yang and J. L. Sun. 2000. Study on the free radicals of soybean leaves in feeded with 1, 7 races of cercospora sojina hara. Soy. Sci. 19(1):21-25.
- Barnes, P. J. 1990. Reactive oxygen species and airway inflammation. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 9:235-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(90)90034-G
- Maxwell, M. H., G. W. Robertson and C. Farquharson. 1996. Evidence of ultracytochemical mitochodria-derived hydrogen peroxide activity in myocardial cells from broiler chickens with an ascitic syndrome. Res. Vet. Sci. 61(1):7-12.
- Dorota, M. K., H. Tomasz, P. Jacek and P. Janusz. 2003. The effect of brief food withdrawal on the level of free radicals and other parameters of oxidative status in the liver. Med. Sci. Monit. 9(3):BR131-135.
- Shah, A. M. and P. A. MacCarthy. 2000. Paracrine and autocrine effects of nitric oxide on myocardial function. Pharmacology and Therapeutics 86(1):49-86.
- Julian, R. J. 1993. Ascites in poultry. Avian Pathol. 22:449-454.
- Rengasamy, A. and R. A. Johns. 1993. Inhibition of nitric oxide synthase by a superoxide generating system. Journal of Pharmocology and Experimental Therapeutics 267:1024-1027.
- Han, B., S. S. Yoon, H. R. Han and X. L. Wang. 2004a. Effects of L-arginine on endothelium derived factors and cyclic nucleotides in broilers under low ambient temperature. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(11):1570-1581.
- Effects of Dietary Copper-Methionine on Matrix Metalloproteinase-2 in the Lungs of Cold-Stressed Broilers as an Animal Model for Pulmonary Hypertension vol.172, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-015-0612-0