- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Feeding of Whole Sugar Cane to Dairy Cattle during the Dry Season
- Suksombat, W. (School of Animal Production Technology, Institute of Agricultural Technology, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Mernkrathoke, P. (School of Animal Production Technology, Institute of Agricultural Technology, Suranaree University of Technology)
- Received : 2004.06.17
- Accepted : 2004.11.06
- Published : 2005.03.01
A study was conducted to determine the effect of feeding chopped whole sugar cane compared to corn silage on performances of dairy cows during the dry season. Twenty four Holstein Friesian crossbred (>87.5% Holstein Friesian) lactating dairy cows in mid lactation; averaging 16.5
- Agnew, R. E. and T. Yan. 2000. Impact of recent research on energy feeding systems for dairy cattle. Livest. Prod. Sci. 66:197-215.
- Agricultural Research Council. 1980. The Nutrient Requirements of Ruminant Livestock. 2nd Edition. Commonwealth Agricultural Bureau, Slough, UK. p. 351.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington DC.
- Creek, M. J. and H. A. Squire. 1976. Use of a slaughter technique for technical and economic evaluation of sugar cane and maize silage based rations. Trop. Anim. Prod. 1:56-65.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage Fiber Analysis. A RS/USDA Agricultural Handbook. Washington DC.
- Kawashima, T., W. Sumamal, P. Pholsen, R. Chaithiang and W. Boonpakdee. 2002. The use of sugar cane stalk for feeding lactating cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(2):205-208.
- Linberg, J. E. 1985. Estimation of rumen degradability of feed proteins with the in sacco technique and various in vitro methods: A review. Acta Agric. Scand. (Suppl.) 25:64-97.
- National Research Council. 2001. Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle. 7th Edition. National Academy Press. Washington DC. p. 340.
- Obara, Y., H. Fuse, F. Terada, M. Shibata, A. Kawabata, M. Sutoh, K. Hodate and M. Matsumoto. 1994. Influence of sucrose supplementation on nitrogen kinetics and energy metabolism in sheep fed with Lucerne hay cubes. J. Agric. Sci. 123:121-127.
- Oldham, J. D. 1984. Protein-energy interrelationships in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 67:1090-1114. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(84)81410-1
- Oskov, E. R. and I. McDonald. 1979. The estimation of protein degradability in the rumen from incubation measurements weighted according to rate of passage. J. Agric. Sci. 92:499-503.
- Pate, F. M. 1981. Fresh chopped sugar cane in growing-finishing steer diets. J. Anim. Sci. 53:881-888. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.534881x
- Pate, F. M., J. Alvarez, J. D. Phillips and B. R. Eiland. 2002. Sugar cane as a Cattle Feed: Production and Utilization. Bulletin No. 844. Department of Animal Sciences, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1985. SAS User’s Guide: Statistics, 5th Ed., Cary, NC.
- Steel, R. D. G. and J. H. Torrie. 1986. Principles and Procedures of Statistics. A Biometrical Approach. 5th Ed. McGraw-Hill International Book Company, New York.
- Sutoh, M., Y. Obara and S. Miyamoto. 1996. The effect of sucrose supplementation on kinetics of nitrogen, ruminal propionate and plasma glucose in sheep. J. Agric. Sci. 126:99-105.
- Sutton, J. D. 1989. Altering milk composition by feeding. J. Dairy Sci. 72:2801-2814. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(89)79426-1
- Van, D. T. T. and I. Ledin. 2002. Effects of different foliages and sugar cane in the diet in late pregnancy on ewe and lamb performance. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. S. 15(6):828-833 https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.828
- Effect of feed supplements on dry season milk yield and profitability of crossbred cows in Honduras vol.45, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-012-0336-5
- Productivity and physiological response of lactating Holstein cows to sugarcane supplementation and evaporative cooling under heat-stress pp.1469-5146, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859618000898