- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Intersequence Pauses, Laying Persistency and Concentration of Prolactin during the Productive Period in White Leghorn Hens
- Reddy, I.J. ;
- David, C.G. ;
- Singh, Khub
- Received : 2004.09.22
- Accepted : 2004.12.27
- Published : 2005.05.01
Prolactin is considered to influence the taking of pauses in between ovulatory sequences in White Leghorn hens. Therefore modulating concentrations of prolactin using bromocriptine - a dopamine agonist during early life (17 to 36 weeks of age) could overcome the inhibitory effects of high concentration of prolactin on ovarian activity. The effect of modulation of prolactin concentration on egg production, sequence length and inter sequence pauses were studied by analyzing the oviposition records from 19 to 72 weeks were studied and compared with untreated controls. Bromocriptine administered subcutaneously (100
Bromocriptine;Inter Sequence Pauses;Ovulatory Sequences;Oral Feeding;Prolactin;White Leghorn
- Crisostome, S., D. Gumene, G. M. Mills, C. Morvan and D. Zadworny. 1998. Prevention of incubation behaviour expression in turkey hens by active immunization against prolactin. Theriogenology 50:675-690.
- David, C. G., I. J. Reddy and Khub Singh. 2003. Oviposition patterns associated with prolactin concentration in chicken (Gallus domesticus). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16 (11):1565-1571.
- Dorrington, J. and R. E. Gore-Langton. 1981. Prolactin inhibits oestrogen synthesis in the ovary. Nature (Lond.) 290:600-602.
- Etches, R. J. and K. W. Cheng. 1981. Changes in the plasma concentrations of luteinizing hormone, progesterone, oestradiol and testosterone and in the binding of follicle stimulating hormone to the theca of the follicles during the ovulation cycle of the hen (Gallus domesticus). J. Endocrinol. 91:11-22.
- Ogawa, K., S. Matsuo and H. Tojo. 1977. Inhibitory effects of prolactin on ovulation and eggshell formation in the hen. Jap. J. Zootechnol. Sci. 48:341-346.
- Robinson, F. E., R. T. Hardin and A. R. Robblee. 1990. Reproductive senescence in domestic fowl, Effects on egg production, sequence length and inter sequence pause length. Br. Poult. Sci. 31:871-879.
- Lupicki, M. E. 1994. Ovarian morphology and steroidogenesis in domestic fowl (Gallus domesticus): Effect of aging, strain, photostimulation program and level feeding. M.Sc. thesis, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Robinson, F. E., J. L. Wilson, M. W. Yu, G. M. Fasenko and R. T. Hardin. 1993. The relationship between body weight and reproductive efficiency in meat type chicken Poult. Sci. 72:912-922.
- Hoffmann, B., D. Schalm, R. Bopp, M. L. Ender, T. Gimenez and H. Karg. 1974. Luteotrophic factors in the cow, Evidence for luteinizing hormone rather than prolactin. J. Reprod. Fertil. 40:77-85.
- Porter, T. E., J. L. Silsby, B. M. Hargis, S. C. Fehrer and M. E. El Halawani. 1991. Ovarian steroid production in vitro during gonadal regression in the turkey. II. Changes induced by forced moulting. Biol. Reprod. 45:587-591.
- Reddy, I. J., C. G. David, P. V. Sarma and Khub Singh. 2002. The possible role of prolactin on laying performance and steroid hormone secretion in domestic hen (Gallus domesticus). Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 127:549-557.
- Scanes, C. G., A. Chadwick and W. J. Bolton. 1976. Radioimmunoassay of prolactin in plasma of domestic fowls. Gen. Comp. Encocrinol. 30:12-20.
- Sharp, P. J., M. C. Macnamee, R. J. Sterling, R. W. Lea and H. C. Pedersen. 1988. Relationship between prolactin, luteinizing homone and broody behaviour in bantam hens. J. Endocrinol. 118:279-286.
- Tanaka, K., M. Kamiyoshi and Y. Tanabe. 1971. Inhibition of premature ovulation by prolactin in the hen. Poult. Sci. 50:63-66.
- Sharp, P. J., R. J. Sterling, R. T. Talbot and N. S. Huskisson. 1989. The role of hypothalamic vasoactive intestinal polypeptide in the maintenance of prolactin secretion in incubating bantam hens. Observations using passive immunization, Radioimmunoassay and immunohistochemistry. J. Endocrinol. 122:5-13.
- Bedrak, E., S. Harvey and B. Robinzon. 1983. Pharmacological disruption of broodiness in white rock domestic fowls. Br. Poult. Sci 24:573-579.
- Robinson, F. E., T. A. Wautier, R. T. Hardin, J. L. Wilson, M. Newcombe and R. I. McKay. 1996. Effect of age at photostimulation on reproductive efficiency and carcass characterization 2. Egg type hens. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 76:283-288.
- El Halawani, M. E., J. L. Silsby, I. Rozemboim and G. R. Pitts. 1995. Increased egg production by active immunization against vasoactive intestinal polypeptide in turkey (Meleagris gallapavo). Biol. Reprod. 52:179-183.
- Harvey, S., C. G. Scanes, A. Chadwick and W. J. Bolton. 1979. Growth hormone and prolactin secretion in growing domestic fowl influence of sex and breed. Br. Poult. Sci. 20:9-17.
- Guemene, D. and J. B. Williams. 1994. Relationships between broodiness expression, laying persistency and concentrations of hormones during the first productive period in turkey hens. Reprod. Nutr. Devt. 34:371-381.
- Reddy, I. J., C. G. David, P. V. Sarma and Khub Singh. 2001. Prolactin hormone and inter sequence pause days in domestic chicken. Vet. Rec. 149:590-592.
- Picazo, R. A., A., Gonzalez de Bulnes, A. Gomez Brunet, A. del Campo, B. Granados, J. Tresguerres and A. Lopez Sebastian. 2000. Effects of bromocriptine administration during the follicular phase of the oestrous cycle on prolactin and gonadotrophin secretion and follicular dynamics in merino monovular ewes. J. Reprod. Fertil. 120:177-186.
- Scanes, C. G., P. J. Sharp and A. Chadwick. 1977. Changes in plasma prolactin concentration during the ovulatory cycle of the hen. J. Endocrinol. 72:401-402.
- McNatty, K. P., J. G. Bennie, W. M. Hunter and A. S. McNeilly. 1975. Antibodies to gonadotrophins and the subsequent rate of progesterone secretion by human granulosa cells in vitro. Clin. Expt. Immunoreprod. 3:41-66.
- Wang, C., A. J. W. Hsuch and G. Erichron. 1980. Prolactin inhibition of estrogen production by cultured rat granulosa cells. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 20:135-144.
- Wentworth, B. C., J. A. Proudman, H. Opel, M. J. Wineland, N. G. Zimmermann and A. Lapp. 1983. Endocrine changes in the incubating and brooding turkey hen. Biol. Reprod. 29:87-92.
- Dajee, M., G. H. Fely and J. S. Richards. 1998. Stat 5b and the orphan nuclear receptors regulate expression of the alpha 2-macroglobulin (alpha 2M) gene in rat ovarian granulosa cells. Mol. Endocrinol. 12:1393-1409.
Reddy, I. J., C. G. David and Khub Singh. 2002. Influence of 2 bromo-
$\alpha$-ergocriptine on plasma prolactin, oestradiol-17 $\beta$and progesterone levels in domestic hen. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15 (8):1103-1109.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1994. Statistical Methods 8th (edn.), Iowa state Press, Anes, Iowa, USA.
- Blake, A. G. and R. K. Ringer. 1987. Changes in ring-necked pheasants (Phasianus colenicus) egg formation time oviposition lag time and egg sequence length due to adhemeral light- dark cycles. Poult. Sci. 66:231-236.
- Robinson, F. E., R. A. Renema, H. H. Oosterhoff, M. J. Zuidhof and J. L. Wilson. 2001. Carcass traits, ovarian morphology and egg laying characteristics in early versus late maturing strains of commercial egg type hens. Poult. Sci. 80:37-46.
- Bedecarrates, G., G. Gumene and M. A. Richard-Yris. 1997. Effects of environmental and social factors on incubation behaviour, endocrinological parameters and production traits in turkey hens (Meleagris gallapavo). Poult. Sci. 76:1307-1314.
- Bennett-Wimbush, K., W. E. Loch, H. Plata-Madrid and T. Evans. 1998. Effect of perphenazine and bromocriptine on follicular dynamics and endocrine profiles in anoestrus pony mares. Theriogenology 49:717-733.
- Zadworny, D., J. S. Walton and R. J. Etches. 1985. The relationship between plasma concentration of prolactin and consumption of feed and water during the reproductive cycle of the domestic turkey. Poult. Sci. 64:401-410.
- Horth, S. and C. Farmer. 2000. Hormonal changes in gilts receiving bromocriptine orally during gestation. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 80:373-376.
- Ranjhan, S. K. 1993. Animal Nutrition In Tropics. 3rd (edn), Vikas Publishing House Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, India.
- Emmerson, D. A., D. M. Denbow, H. P. Krey, R. M. Van Hulet, M. E. El Halawani and H. P. Van Krey. 1991. Protein and energy self selection of turkey hens. Serum prolactin and luteinizing hormone concentrations. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A. Comp. Physiol. 100:495-499.
- Development of a Novel, Anti-idiotypic Monoclonal Anti-prolactin Antibody That Mimics the Physiological Functions of Prolactin vol.29, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0541