- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of the Genetic Diversities and the Nutritional Values of the Tra (Pangasius hypophthalmus) and the Basa (Pangasius bocourti) Catfish Cultivated in the Mekong River Delta of Vietnam
- Men, L.T. (College of Agriculture, Cantho University) ;
- Thanh, V.C. (College of Agriculture, Cantho University) ;
- Hirata, Y. (Graduate School of Agriculture, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology) ;
- Yamasaki, S. (College of Agriculture, Cantho University)
- Received : 2004.05.05
- Accepted : 2004.12.24
- Published : 2005.05.01
A total of 50 individual catfish, the Tra (Pangasius hypophthalmus) cultivated in either floating cages (Tra-c) or in ponds (Tra-p) and the Basa (Pangasius bocourti) raised in three floating cages, were collected in two of the Mekong Delta provinces. The caudal fin of each individual fish was used for protein electrophoresis employing the SDS-PAGE method. The one fillet sides were used as a representative sample to determine the dry matter (DM), crude protein (CP), ether extract (EE) and amino acids (AAs). The catfish oil was extracted from the belly fats, and the fatty acid (FA) composition was analyzed. There were 21 bands of the Tra and the Basa. Protein bands of the two varieties were 28.6-33.3% polymorphic, while polymorphic individuals of the Tra ranged from 80.0 to 100.0%, and the Basa was 90.0% polymorphic. The phenotypic diversity (Ho) of the Tra ranged from 1.71 to 1.80, while the Basa ranged as high as 2.14%. Diversity values (H
- Agricultural Research Council (ARC). 1981. The Nutritional Requirement of Pigs. Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux. England.
- AOAC. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis. Association of official analytical chemist, Washington, DC., USA.
- Calder, P. C. 1996. Effects of fatty acids and dietary lipids on cells of the immune system. In Proceedings of Nutritional Society 55:127-150. https://doi.org/10.1079/PNS19960015
- Degussa. 1996. Swine: The Concept of an Ideal Protein for Pigs, Publishing house, Germany.
- FAO. 1993. FAO Year Book. Fishery statistics: Catch and landing 72 (1991). Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. FAO. Fish Series 40.
- Gepts, P. 1990. Genetic Diversity of Seed Storage Proteins in Plants. In Population Genetic and Germplasm Resources in Crop Improvement (Ed. A. H. D. Brown, M. T. Clegg, A. L. Kahler and B. S. Weir), Sinauer, Sunderland, MA
- Gohl, B. 1981. Animal Production and Health Series 12: Tropical Feeds. FAO, Rome, Italy.
- Huh, M. K. and O. Ohnishi. 2002. Genetic diversity and genetic populations of wild radish revealed by AFLP. Breeding Sci. 52:79-88.
- Jacobs, P., A. Maes and C. Peeters. 2000. Analytische en organische chemie: practicum Katholieke universiteit Leuven, pp. 81-86.
- Kawamoto, N., N. V. Truong and T. T. T. Hoa. 1972. Illustrations of some freshwater fishes of the Mekong Delta, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam.
- Khanh, P. V. 2003. Technique on Raising Tra and Basa Catfish in Floating Cages. Institute of research and cultivation on aquaculture. Agricultural publishing House, Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam (in Vietnamese).
- Linh, Q. N., H. Everts and A. C. Beynen. 2003. Shrimp by-product feeding and growth performance of growing pigs kept on small holdings in central Vietnam. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1025-1029.
- MAFF. 1995. Standard Tables of Feed Composition in Japan. MAFF. Tokyo, Japan.
- McDonald, P., R. A. Edwards and C. A. Morgan. 1995. Animal Nutrition. Longman Scientic and Technical, New York
- Nhu, H. D. 2003. DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) source from Basa (Pangasius bocourti) catfish oil. In Proceedings of Scientific Report of Chemistry Association, Ho Chi Minh city, pp. 76-83 (in Vietnamese).
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Required of Swine, 10th rev. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Ryan, B., B. L. Joiner and T. A. Ryan, Jr. 2000. Minitab statistical software release 13. Duxbury Press.
- Sanh, N. V., V. T. Xuan and T. A. Phong. 1998. History and future of farming systems in the Mekong Delta. In Development of Farming Systems in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam (Ed. Vo-Tong Xuan and Shigeo Matsui). Ho Chi Minh Publishing House. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. 17-80.
- Simopoulos, A. P. 2001. N-3 Fatty Acids and Human Health: Defining Strategies for Public Policy. Lipids. 36:83-89.
- Son, D. K. 1998. Development of Agriculture Production systems in the Mekong Delta. In Development of Farming Systems in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam (Ed. Vo-Tong Xuan and Shigeo Matsui). Ho Chi Minh Publishing House. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. 81-111.
- Thanh V. C., T. N. Nguyen, Y. Hirata and N. V. Thuong. 2003. Antenna Protein Diversity of Prawns (Macrobrachium) in the Mekong Delta. Biophere Conservation. 5:11-17.
- Undersander, D., D. R. Mertens and N. Thiex. 1993. Forage analyses procedures. National Forage Testing Association, pp. 2-64, 121-124.
- The Influence of Changes in the Market Environment on Economic Production Characteristics of Pangasius Farming in the Mekong Delta (Vietnam) vol.25, pp.4, 2010, https://doi.org/10.5950/0738-1360-25.4.373
- Effect of chitosan on shelf life of restructured fish products from pangasius (pangasianodon hypophthalmus) surimi during chilled storage vol.53, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-016-2174-3