- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Growth Performance, Humoral Immune Response and Carcass Characteristics of Broiler Chickens Fed Alkali Processed Karanj Cake Incorporated Diet Supplemented with Methionine
- Panda, K. ;
- Sastry, V.R.B. ;
- Mandal, A.B.
- Received : 2004.05.05
- Accepted : 2004.12.17
- Published : 2005.05.01
A study was conducted to see the effect of dietary incorporation of alkali (1.5% NaOH, w/w) processed solvent extracted karanj cake (SKC) supplemented with methionine on growth performance, humoral immune response and carcass characteristics of broiler chickens from 0 to 8 weeks of age. One hundred and twenty, day- old broiler chicks were wing banded, vaccinated against Marek' disease and distributed in a completely randomized design (CRD) into 3 groups of 40 chicks each, which was further replicated to 4 and fed on diet containing soybean meal and those of test groups were fed diets containing alkali (1.5% NaOH) treated SKC partially replacing soybean meal nitrogen of reference diet (12.5%) without or with supplementation of methionine (0.2%). Individual body weight of chicks and replicate-wise feed intakes were recorded at weekly intervals throughout the experimental period. Feed consumption from 1 to 14, 28, 42 and 56 d of age was recorded for each replicate and feed conversion efficiency (weight gain/feed intake) for the respective period was calculated. Mortality was monitored on daily basis. On 28
Alkali Processed Karanj Cake;Broiler Chickens;Growth Performance;Humoral Immune Response;Carcass Characteristics
- Dunnington, E. A., I. Zulkifli, D. Siadak, A. S. Larsen and P. B. Siegel. 1994. Dietary methionine and antibody response in broiler cockrels. Archives Geflugel. 58:125-129.
- Gross, W. B. and P. B. Siegel. 1988. Production and persistence of antibodies in chickens to sheep erythrocytes. Poult. Sci. 59:1-5.
- Hague, N., J. P. Srivastava, A. K. Verma and S. Toppo. 1996. Growth performance in broiler chicks feeding on a cake mixture of agro-forestry byproducts. Int. J. Anim. Sci. 11:283-288.
- Natanam, R., R. Kadirvel and R. Ravi. 1989b. The toxic effects of karanj (P.glabra bent) oil and cake on growth and feed efficiency in broiler chicks. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 27:95-100.
- Widdowson, E. M. 1980. Definition of growth. In: Growth in Animals (Ed. T. L. J. Lawrence), Butterworths, London.
- Cao, J., K. Li, X. Lu and Y. Zhao. 2004. Effects of florfenicol and chromium (III) on humoral immune response in chicks. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:366-370.
- Dunnington, E. A., W. B. Gross, C. T. Larsen and P. B. Siegel. 1993. Antibody response to combination of antigens in populations of chicken from diverse genetic background. Archives Geflugel 57:171-174.
- AL Tarazi and Y. H. Alshawabkeh. 2003. Effect of dietary formic and propionic acids mixture on limiting Salmonella pullorum in layer chicks. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:77-82.
- Prabhu, T. M. 2002. Clinico nutritional studies in lambs fed raw and detoxified karanj (P.glabra vent) meal as protein supplement. PhD thesis submitted to Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar.
- Van der Zijpp, A. J. 1983. Breeding for immune responsiveness and disease resistance. World’s Poult. Sci. J. 39:118-131. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19830012
- Mandal, L. 1977. Studies on the utilization of karanj cake - a new feed ingredient in the starters, growers, layers and broiler rations. PhD thesis submitted to Bidhan Chandara Krishi Visshwa Vidyalaya, West Bengal.
- Kim, I. B., P. R. Ferket, W. J. Powers, H. H. Stein and T. A. T. G. Kempen. 2004. Effects of different dietary acidifiers sources of calcium and phosphorus on ammonia, methane and odorant emission from growing finishing pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1131-1138.
- Mandal, L. and G. C. Banerjee. 1974. Studies on the utilization of karanj (P. glabra) oil cake in poultry rations. Indian J. Poul. Sci. September: 141-147.
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, DC.
- Natanam, R., R. Kadirvel and R. Balagopal. 1989a. The effect of kernels of karanj (P. glabra vent) on growth and feed efficiency in broiler chicks to 4 weeks of age. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol., 25:201-206.
- Wegmann, T. G. and O. Smithies. 1966. A simple hemagglutination system requiring small amounts of red cells and antibodies. Transfusion. 6:67-73.
- Dhara, T. K., N. Chakraborty, G. Samanta and L. Mandal. 1997. Deoiled karanj (P.glabra vent) cake in the ration of Japanese quail. Indian J. Poult. Sci. 32:132-136.
- Mandal, A. B., A. V. Elangovan and T. S. Johri. 2004. Comparing bio-efficacy of liquid DL-methionine hydroxy analogue free acid with DL-methionine in broiler chickens. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:102-108.
- Panda, A. K., V. R. B. Sastry, D. K. Agrawal, A. Kanan and A. Kumar. 2003. Quantification of karanjin in raw and variously processed karanj cake by high performance liquid chromatography. In proceedings of the 2003 IPSACON, CARI, Izatnagar, p. 96.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1989. Statistical Methods 8th Edn. The Iowa state University Press, Ames, Iowa, USA.
- Gross, W. B. and P. B. Siegel. 1993. General principle of stress and welfare. In: (Ed. Temple Grandin) Livestock handling and Transport, CAB International, Wallingford, UK.
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and F-tests. Biometrics, 11:1-42.