- Volume 18 Issue 6
The objective of this study was to determine the effects of processing method and rapeseed variety on ruminal and intestinal protein digestibility of rapeseed meal in steers. Intestinal amino acid digestibility was assessed with an in situ ruminal incubation and precision-fed rooster bioassay. In this experiment one traditional rapeseed meal sample (sample A, prepress extraction) and three double low rapeseed meal samples (sample B, prepress extraction, sample C, screw press and sample D, low temperature press) were placed in polyester bags(8 cm
Rapeseed Meal;Amino Acid Availability;Bypass Protein
- Aldrich, C. G., N. R. Merchen, C. M. Parsons, H. S. Hussein, S. Ingram and J. R. Clodfelter. 1997. Assessment of postruminal amino acids digestibility of roasted and extruded whole soybeans with the precision-fed rooster assay. J. Anim. Sci. 75:3046-3051.
- Chen Xibin and L. D. Campbell. 2003. Assessment of ruminal and post ruminal amino acid digestibility of Chinese and Canadian rapeseed (Canola) meals. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(7):979-982.
- Parsons, C. M. 1994. Current status of amino acids digestibility work reviewed. Feedstuff, 63:30.
- Sibbald, I. R. 1987. Estimation of available amino acid in feedstuffs for poultry and pigs: a review with emphasis on balance experiments. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 67:221-300. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas87-028
- Susmel, P., B. Stefan, C. R. Mills and Manuela Cardido. 1989. Change in amino acid composition of different protein sources after rumen incubation. J. Br. Sci. Anim. Prod. 49:375.
- Evan Titgemeyer, N. Merchen, Y. Han, C. Parsons and D. Baker. 1990. Assessment of intestinal amino acid availability in cattle by use of the precision-fed cecectomized rooster assay. J. Dairy Sci. 73:690-693.
- Moshaghi Nia, S. A. and J. R. Ingalls. 1991. Effect of heating on canola meal protein degradation in the rumen and digestion in the lower gastrointestinal tract of steers. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 72:83-88.
- Griffin, C. D., Jr. L. D. Bunting, L. S. Sticker and B. Vora. 1993. Assessment of protein quality in heat-treated soybean products using the growth responses of lambs and calves and a nylon bag-rooster assay. J. Anim. Sci. 71:1924-1931.
- Faldet, M. A. and L. D. Satter. 1991. Feeding heat-treated full fat soybeans to cows in early lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3047-3054.
- Feng, Y. L. 1989. The suggested methods of rumen nylon bags.
- Parsons, C. M. 1985. Influence of caecectomy on digestibility of amino acids by roosters fed distillers’ dried grain with solubles. J. Agric Sci. 104:469-472. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600044178
- Li, J. F., Z. C. Gao and Y. X. Jiang. 1993. Effect of different processing methods on the contents and availabilities of amino acids in rapeseed meal. Sci. Agri. Sinica. 26(6):68-76.
- Huard, S., H. V. Petit, J. R. Seoane and R. Rioux. 1998. Effects of mechanical treatment of whole canola seeds on performance, diet digestibility and rumen parameters of lambs fed grass silage. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 78:657-664.
- Sibbald, I. R. 1979. A bioassay for available amino acids and TME in feedstuffs. Poult. Sci. 58:668-671. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0580668
- Moshaghi, S. A. and J. R. Ingalls. 1995. Evaluation of moist heat treatment of canola meal on digestion in the rumen, small intestine and total digestive tract of steers. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 75:279-283.
- Kendall, E. M., J. R. Ingalls and R. J. Bolia. 1991. Variability in the rumen degradability and postruminal digestion of dry matter, nitrogen and amino acids of canola meal. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 71:739-754.