- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Removal of Follicles through Repeated Transvaginal Follicle Aspiration on Subsequent Follicular Populations in Murrah Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis
- Akshey, Y.S. (Animal Biotechnology Centre, National Dairy Research Institute) ;
- Palta, P. (Animal Biotechnology Centre, National Dairy Research Institute) ;
- Manik, R.S. (Animal Biotechnology Centre, National Dairy Research Institute) ;
- Vivekananad, Vivekananad (Animal Biotechnology Centre, National Dairy Research Institute) ;
- Chauhan, M.S. (Animal Biotechnology Centre, National Dairy Research Institute)
- Received : 2004.09.22
- Accepted : 2004.12.24
- Published : 2005.05.01
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of removal of all ovarian follicles through repeated transvaginal follicle aspiration (TVFA) on the subsequent follicular populations in buffaloes. This information is crucial for determining the optimum time interval between successive aspirations for recovering oocytes from live buffaloes through Transvaginal Oocyte Retrieval (TVOR). The oestrus of cycling buffaloes (n=5) were synchronized by a single PGF injection schedule. All the ovarian follicles were removed once every 7 days for 6 weeks through TVFA, starting from Day 7 of the oestrous cycle (Day 0 = day of oestrus). The number and size of individual ovarian follicles was recorded at Day 3 and Day 5 (Day 0 = day of TVFA) through transrectal ultrasonography. The follicles were classified on the basis of their diameter as small (3-5 mm), medium (6-9 mm) and large (
- Dominguez, M. M. 1995. Effect of body condition, reproductive status and breed on follicular populations and oocyte quality in cows. Theriogenology 43:1405-1418. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(95)00126-S
- Mackey, D. R., J. M. Sreenan, J. F. Roche and M. G. Diskin. 1999. Effect of acute restriction on incidence of anovulation and periovulatory estradiol and gonadotropin concentrations in beef heifers. Biol. Reprod. 61:601-1607.
- Manik, R. S., M. S. Chauhan, S. K. Singla and P. Palta. 2002a. Transvaginal ultrasound- guided aspiration of follicles from Indian buffaloes with reproductive problems. Vet. Rec.150:22-24.
- Misra, A. K. 1997. Application of biotechnologies to buffalo breeding in India. Bubalus bubalis IV/97 (Suppl.), 141-166.
- Madan, M. L., S. K. Das and P. Palta. 1996. Application of reproductive technology to buffalo. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 42:299-306.
- Techakumphu, M., A. Promdireg, A. Na-Chiengmai and N. Phutikanit. 2004. Repeated oocyte pick up in prepubertal Swamp buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) calves after FSH superstimulation. Theriogenology 61:1705-1711.
- Misra, A. K., B. V. Joshi, P. I. Agrawala, R. Kasiraj, S. Sivaiah, N. S. Rangareddi and M. U. Siddiqui. 1990. Multiple ovulation and embryo transfer in Indian buffalo (Bubalus bubalis). Theriogenology 33:1131-1141.
- Kumar, A., V. S. Solanki, S. K. Jindal, V. N. Tripathi and G. C. Jain. 1997. Oocyte retrieval and histological studies of follicular population in buffalo ovaries. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 47:189-195.
- Palta, P. and M. S. Chauhan. 1998. Laboratory production of buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) embryos. Reprod. Fertil. Develop. 10:379-391.
- Hasler, J. F., W. B. Henderson, P. J. Hurtgen, Z. Q. Jin, A. D. Mccauley, S. A. Mower, B. Neely, L. S. Shuey, J. E. Stokes, and S. A. Trimmer. 1995. Production freezing and transfer of bovine IVF embryos and subsequent calving results. Theriogenology 43:141-152.
- Looney, C. R., B. R. Lindsey, C. J. Gonseth and D. L. Johnson. 1994. Commercial aspects of oocyte retrieval and in vitro fertilization (IVF) for embryo production in problem cows. Theriogenology 41:67-72.
- Manik, R. S., J. D. Ambrose, S. K. Singla, M. S. Chauhan and M. L. Madan. 1994. Real time ultrasound evaluation of follicular changes in superovulated Murrah buffaloes. Buffalo J. 10:139-146.
- Singla, S. K., R. S. Manik and M. L. Madan. 1996. Embryo biotechnologies in buffaloes: A review. Bubalus bubalis I/96: 53-63.
- Goodhand, K. L., R. G. Watt, M. E. Staines, J. S. M. Hutchinson and P. J. Broadbent. 1999. In vivo oocyte recovery and in vitro embryo production from bovine donors aspirated at different frequencies or following FSH treatment. Theriogenology 51:951-961.
- Revel, F., P. Mermillod, N. Peyhot, J. P. Rehard and Y. Heyman. 1995. Low developmental capacity of in vitro matured and fertilized oocytes from calves compared with that of cows. J. Reprod. Fert. 103:115-120.
- Broadbent, P. J., D. F. Dolman, R. G. Watt, A. K. Smith and M. F. Franklin. 1997. Effect of frequency of follicle aspiration on the oocyte yield and subsequent superovulatory response in cattle. Theriogenology 47:1027-1040.
- Le Van Ty, D. Chupin and M. A. Draincourt. 1989. Ovarian follicular populations in buffaloes and cows. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 19:171-178.
- Neglia, G., B. Gasparrini, V. C. di Brienza, R. Di Palo, G. Campanile, G. A. Presicce and L. Zicarelli. 2003. Bovine and buffalo in vitro embryo production using oocytes derived from abattoir ovaries or collected by transvaginal follicle aspiration. Theriogenology 59:1123-1130.
- Gibbons, J. R., W. E. Beal, R. L. Krisher, E. G. Faber, R. E. Pearson and F. C. Gwazdauskas. 1994. Effects of once versus twice weekly transvaginal follicular aspiration on bovine oocyte recovery and embryo development. Theriogenology 42:405-419.
- Boni, R., M. W. M. Roelofsen, M. C. Pieterse, J. Kogut and Th. A. M. Kruip. 1997. Follicular dynamics, repeatability and predictability of follicular recruitment in cows undergoing repeated follicular puncture. Theriogenology 48:277-289.
- Garcia, A. and M. Salaheddine. 1998. Effect of repeated ultrasound-guided transvaginal follicular aspiration on bovine oocyte recovery and subsequent follicular development. Theriogenology 55:575-585.
- Taneja, M., P. E. T. Bols, A. V. de Velde, Tu Tyh-Cherng, D. Schreiber, M. W. Tripp, H. Levine, Z. Echelard, J. Piesen and X. Yang. 2000. Development competence of juvenile calf oocytes in vitro and in vivo: influence of donor animal variation and repeated gonadotropin stimulation. Biol. Reprod. 62:206-213.
- Boni, R., S. Roviello and L. Zicarelli. 1996. Repeated ovum pick up in Italian Mediterranean buffalo cows. Theriogenology 46:899-909.
- Manik, R. S., P. Palta, S. K. Singla and V. Sharma. 2002b. Folliculogenesis in buffalo (Bubalus bubalis): A review. Reprod. Fertil. Develop. 14:315-325.
- Meintjes, M., M. S. Bellow, J. R. Broussard, J. B. Paul and R. A. Godke. 1995. Transvaginal aspiration of oocytes from hormone treated pregnant beef cattle for in vitro fertilization. J. Anim. Sci. 73:967-974.