- Volume 18 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effect of Restricted Suckling or Temporal Weaning on Some Physiological and Behavioural Stress Parameters in Zebu Cattle (Bos indicus)
- Acevedo, N. (Facultad de Ciencias Agropecuarias, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Morelos) ;
- Hernandez, C. (Facultad de Ciencias Agropecuarias, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Morelos) ;
- Orihuela, A. (Facultad de Ciencias Agropecuarias, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Morelos) ;
- Lidfors, L.M. (Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Animal Environment and Health) ;
- Berg, C. (Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Animal Environment and Health)
- Received : 2004.05.19
- Accepted : 2005.01.28
- Published : 2005.08.01
This study investigated the effects of restricted suckling (RS) on some physiological and behavioural stress parameters compared to temporal weaning (TW). Twenty Brahman (Bos indicus) cow-calf pairs were assigned to one of two groups: Calves in the RS group were limited to suckle their dams once daily for 30 min during days 30 to 33, while calves in the TW group were removed from their dams during days 59 to 62 postpartum. Heart and respiratory rates, serum cortisol concentration and body temperature were registered in cows and calves. In addition, the number of steps was also registered in calves. All parameters were recorded 24, 48 and 72 h after the beginning of the two treatments, respectively. In TW calves, higher (p<0.05) cortisol concentration and number of steps were recorded in the 1st samples and 1
Beef Cattle;Calf Removal;Temporal Weaning;Animal Welfare;Restricted Suckling;Zebu
- Das, S. M., H. Wiktorsson and M. Forsberg. 1999. Effects on calf management and level of feed supplementation on milk yield and calf growth of Zebu and crossbred cattle in the semi-arid tropics. Livest. Prod. Sci. 59:67-75.
- Lay, Jr. D. C., T. H. Friend, R. D. Randel, C. L. Bowers, K. K. Grissom, A. D. Neuendorff and O. C. Jenkins. 1998. Effects of restricted nursing on physiological and behavioral reactions of Brahman calves to subsequent restraint and weaning. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 56:109-119.
- Mellor, D. J., C. J. Cook and K. J. Stafford. 2000. Quantifying some responses to pain as a stressor. In: The Biology of Animal Stress. Basic principles and implications for animal welfare. (Ed. G. P. Moberg and J. A. Mench). CABI Publishing, London, UK, pp. 171-198.
- Moberg, G. P. 2000. Biological response to stress: Implication for animal welfare. In: The Biology of Animal Stress. Basic principles and implications for animal welfare. (Ed. G. P. Moberg and J. A. Mench). CABI Publishing, London, UK, pp. 1-22.
- Price, E. O., J. E. Harris, R. E. Borgward, M. L. Sween and J. M. Connor. 2003. Fenceline contact of beef calves with their dams at weaning reduces the negative effects of separation on behavior and growth rate. J. Anim. Sci. 81:116-121.
- Quesada, Y., S. Estrada, M. Cubero, F. García, C. S. Galina, R. Molina and A. Orihuela. 1981. A note on the effects of calf stimuli on the response of Zebu cows to Synchro-mate-B. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 71:183-189.
- Johansson, B. 2003. Effect of milking and feeding routines on milk production, hormone release and behaviour in dairy cattle. Ph. D. Thesis, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden.
- Lefcourt, A. M., J. Bitman, S. Kahl and D. L. Wood. 1993. Circadian and ultradian rhythms of peripheral cortisol concentrations in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 76:2607-2612.
- Reinhardt, V. and A. Reinhardt. 1981. Natural suckling performance and age of weaning in zebu cattle (Bos indicus). J. Agric. Sci. Camb. 96:309-312.
- Siegel, S. and N. J. Castellan. 1988. Nonparametric Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences. 2nd Ed. Mc Graw-Hill, New York.
- Ugarte, J. and T. R. Preston. 1972. Rearing dairy calves by restricted suckling: 1. Effect of suckling once or twice daily on milk production and calf growth. Cuban J. Agric. Sci. 6:173-182.
- Gill, L. J. 1978. Design and Analysis of Experiments in the Animal and Medical Sciences. State University Press, Ames, Iowa.
Jephcott, E. H., J. C. McMillen, J. Rushen, A. Hargreaves and G. D. Thurburn. 1986. Effect of electro-immobilization on ovine plasma concentration of
$\beta$-endorphin/ $\beta$-lipotrophin, cortisol and prolactin. Res. Vet. Sci. 41:371-377.
- Hoffman, D. P., J. S. Stevenson and J. E. Minton. 1996. Restricting calf presence without suckling compared with weaning prolongs postpartum anovulation in beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 74:190-198.
- Mellor, D. J. and L. Murray. 1989. Changes in the cortisol responses of lambs to tail docking, castration and ACTH injection during the first seven days after birth. Res. Vet. Sci. 46:392-395.
- McSweeny, C. S., P. M. Kennedy, M. J. D’Ochio, L. A. Fitzpatrick, D. Reid and K. W. Entwistle. 1993. Reducing post-partum anoestrus interval in first-calf Bos indicus crossbred beef heifers. Part II. Responses to weaning and supplementation. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 44:1079-1093.
- Krohn, C. C. 1999. A review: consequences of different suckling systems in high producing dairy cows. Proceedings of the 1999 International Symposium in Suckling, Stockholm, Sweden, pp. 43-47.
- Short, R. E., R. A. Bellows, R. B. Staigmiller, J. G. Berardineli and E. E. Custer. 1990. Physiological mechanism controlling anestrus and infertility in post-partum beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 68:799-803.
- Lefcourt, A. M., J. B. Huntington, R. M. Aders, D. L. Wood and J. Bitman. 1999. Circadian and ultradian rhythms of body temperature and peripheral concentrations of insulin and nitrogen in lactating dairy cows. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 16:41-55.
- Knowles, R. T. and M. D. Edwards. 1983. A comparison of the effects of restricted suckling and artificial calf rearing systems on dam and calf performance. Malaysian Agric. J. 54:1-9.
- Lefcourt, A. M. and W. R. Adams. 1998. Radiotelemetric measurement of body temperature in feedlot steers during winter. J. Anim. Sci. 76:1830-1837.
- Lefcourt, A. M. and T. H. Elsasser. 1995. Adrenal responses of Angus X Hereford cattle to the stress of weaning. J. Anim. Sci. 73:2669-2676.
- Basurto, C. H., D. M. A. Alonso and G. H. Gonzalez. 1999. Eficiencia reproductiva de vacas cebu en amamantamiento restringido tratadas con norgestomet y PMSG en empadre estacional en el tropico humedo. Memorias del 1999 XXIII Congreso Nacional de Buiatria, Asociacion Mexicana de Medico Veterinarios Especialistas en Bovinos A. C., Aguascalientes, Mexico, p. 139.
- Kent, J. E., V. Molony and I. S. Robertson. 1993. Changes in plasma cortisol concentration in lambs of three ages after three methods of castration and tail docking. Res. Vet. Sci. 55:246-251.
- Uvnas-Moberg, K., B. Johansson, B. Lupoli and K. Svennersten-Sjaunja. 2001. Oxytocin facilitates behavioural, metabolic and physiological adaptations during lactation. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 72:225-234.
- Alvarez, F. J., G. Saucedo, A. Arriaga and T. R. Preston. 1980. Effect on milk production and calf performance of milking cross bred European/Cebu cattle in the absence or presence of the calf, and of rearing their calves artificially. Trop. Anim. Prod. 5:25-37.
- Hopster, H., J. M. O`Connell and H. J. Blokhuis. 1995. Acute effects of cow-calf separation on heart rate, plasma cortisol and behaviour in multiparous dairy cows. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 44:1-8.
- Hudson, S., M. Mullford, W. G. Whittlestone and E. Payne. 1975. Bovine plasma corticoids during parturition. J. Dairy Sci. 59:744-746.
- Stookey, J. M., K. S. Schwartzkopf-Fenswein, C. S. Waltz and J. M. Watts. 1997. Effects of remote and contact weaning on behaviour and weight gain of beef calves. J. Anim. Sci. 75(Supp. 1):157(Abstr.).
- Williams, G. L. 1990. Suckling as a regulator of post-partum rebreeding in cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 68:831-852. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.683831x
- Animal welfare and sustainable animal production vol.7, pp.02, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1017/S2040470016000157