- Volume 18 Issue 8
A study was conducted to determine the effect of feeding sugar cane silage compared to chopped whole sugar cane or grass silage on performances of lactating dairy cows during the dry season. Twenty four Holstein Friesian crossbred (>87.5% Holstein Friesian) lactating dairy cows in mid lactation; averaging 15.4
Sugar Cane Silage;Chopped Whole Sugar Cane;Grass Silage;Lactating Dairy Cows
- Alvarez, F. J., A. Wilson and T. R. Preston. 1977. Sugar cane, molasses and restricted grass/legume grazing or unsupplemented grazing for milk and weaned calf production in a dual purpose herd during the wet season. Trop. Anim. Prod. 2:219-222.
- Oskov, E. R. and I. McDonald. 1979. The estimation of protein degradability in the rumen from incubation measurements weighted according to rate of passage. J. Agric. Sci. 92:499-503.
- Kawashima, T., W. Sumamal, P. Pholsen, R. Chaitiang and W. Boonpakdee. 2002. The use of sugar cane stalk for feeding lactating cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(2):205-208.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington DC.
- Steel, R. D. G. and J. H. Torrie. 1986. Principles and Procedures of Statistics. A Biometrical Approach. 5th Ed. McGraw-Hill International Book Company, New York.
- Alvarez, F. J. and T. R. Preston. 1976. Leucaena leucocephala as protein supplement for dual purpose milk and weaned calf production on sugar cane based ration. Trop. Anim. Prod. 1:112-119.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1985. SAS User’s Guide: Statistics, 5th Ed., Cary, NC.
- Suksombat, W. and P. Mernkrathoke. 2005. Feeding of whole sugar cane as roughage for dairy cattle during the dry season. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. (in press).
- Alvarez, F. J., A. Wilson and T. R. Preston. 1978. Leucaena leucocephala as protein supplement for dual purpose milk and weaned calf production on sugar cane based diets: comparisons with rice polishing. Trop. Anim. Prod. 3:51-55.
- National Research Council. 2001. Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle. 7th Edition. National Academy Press. Washington, DC. p. 340.
- AAC. 1990. Feeding Standards for Australian Livestock: Ruminants. Standing Committee on Agricultural Ruminant Subcommittee. CSIRO. Australian Agricultural Council. Australia. p. 266.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage Fiber Analysis. A RS/USDA Agricultural Handbook. Washington, DC.
- Linberg, J. E. 1985. Estimation of rumen degradability of feed proteins with the in sacco technique and various in vitro methods: A review. Acta Agric. Scand. (Suppl.) 25:64-97.