- Volume 18 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Feeding of Sugar Cane Silage to Dairy Cattle during the Dry Season
- Suksombat, Wisitiporn (School of Animal Production Technology, Institute of Agricultural Technology, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Junpanichcharoen, P. (School of Animal Production Technology, Institute of Agricultural Technology, Suranaree University of Technology)
- Received : 2004.09.22
- Accepted : 2005.02.21
- Published : 2005.08.01
A study was conducted to determine the effect of feeding sugar cane silage compared to chopped whole sugar cane or grass silage on performances of lactating dairy cows during the dry season. Twenty four Holstein Friesian crossbred (>87.5% Holstein Friesian) lactating dairy cows in mid lactation; averaging 15.4
- AAC. 1990. Feeding Standards for Australian Livestock: Ruminants. Standing Committee on Agricultural Ruminant Subcommittee. CSIRO. Australian Agricultural Council. Australia. p. 266.
- Alvarez, F. J. and T. R. Preston. 1976. Leucaena leucocephala as protein supplement for dual purpose milk and weaned calf production on sugar cane based ration. Trop. Anim. Prod. 1:112-119.
- Alvarez, F. J., A. Wilson and T. R. Preston. 1977. Sugar cane, molasses and restricted grass/legume grazing or unsupplemented grazing for milk and weaned calf production in a dual purpose herd during the wet season. Trop. Anim. Prod. 2:219-222.
- Alvarez, F. J., A. Wilson and T. R. Preston. 1978. Leucaena leucocephala as protein supplement for dual purpose milk and weaned calf production on sugar cane based diets: comparisons with rice polishing. Trop. Anim. Prod. 3:51-55.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington DC.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage Fiber Analysis. A RS/USDA Agricultural Handbook. Washington, DC.
- Kawashima, T., W. Sumamal, P. Pholsen, R. Chaitiang and W. Boonpakdee. 2002. The use of sugar cane stalk for feeding lactating cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(2):205-208.
- Linberg, J. E. 1985. Estimation of rumen degradability of feed proteins with the in sacco technique and various in vitro methods: A review. Acta Agric. Scand. (Suppl.) 25:64-97.
- National Research Council. 2001. Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle. 7th Edition. National Academy Press. Washington, DC. p. 340.
- Oskov, E. R. and I. McDonald. 1979. The estimation of protein degradability in the rumen from incubation measurements weighted according to rate of passage. J. Agric. Sci. 92:499-503.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1985. SAS User’s Guide: Statistics, 5th Ed., Cary, NC.
- Steel, R. D. G. and J. H. Torrie. 1986. Principles and Procedures of Statistics. A Biometrical Approach. 5th Ed. McGraw-Hill International Book Company, New York.
- Suksombat, W. and P. Mernkrathoke. 2005. Feeding of whole sugar cane as roughage for dairy cattle during the dry season. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. (in press).