- Volume 18 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effect of Lactic Acid Producing Bacteria on the Performance of Male Crossbred Calves Fed Roughage Based Diet
- Ramaswami, N. (Centre of Advanced Studies in Animal Nutrition, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Chaudhary, L.C. (Centre of Advanced Studies in Animal Nutrition, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Agarwal, N. (Centre of Advanced Studies in Animal Nutrition, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Kamra, D.N. (Centre of Advanced Studies in Animal Nutrition, Indian Veterinary Research Institute)
- Received : 2004.10.23
- Accepted : 2005.02.17
- Published : 2005.08.01
To study the effect of feeding lactic acid producing bacteria on the performance of cattle calves, twenty four, day old male crossbred cattle calves (Bos indicus
Crossbred Calves;Lactic Acid Bacteria;Body Weight Gain;DFM
- Abu-Tarboush, H. M., M. Y. Al-Saiazy, A. H. Keir and El-Din. 1996. Evaluation of diet containing lactobacillus on performance faecal coliform and lactobacillus of young daily calves. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 57:39-49.
- Agarwal, N., D. N. Kamra, L. C. Chaudhary, I. Agarwal, A. Sahoo and N. N. Pathak. 2002. Microbial status and rumen enzyme profile of croossbred calves fed on different microbial feed additives. Letters Appl. Microbiol. 34:329-336.
- Ando, S., R. I. Khan, J. Takahasil, Y. Gamol, R. Morikawal, Y. Nishiguchi and K. Hayasaka. 2004. Manipulation of rumen fermentation by Yeast: The effects of dried beer yeast on the In vitro degradability of forages and methane production. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:68-72.
- AOAC. 1981. Official Methods of Analysis 14th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Bae, J. S., Jung-Ryul Byun and Yung-Ho Yoon. 2003. In vivo antagonistic effect of Lactobacillus helveticus CU 631 against Salmonella enteritidis KU101 infection. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:430-434.
- Cruywagen, C. W., I. Jordan and L. Venter. 1996. Effect of Lactobacillus acidophilus supplementation of milk replacer on preweaning performance of calves. J. Dairy Sci. 79:483-486.
- Ellinger,D. K., L. D. Muller and P. J. Glantz. 1980. Effect of feeding fermented colostrum and Lactobacillus acidophilus on faecal flora of dairy calves. J. Dairy Sci. 63:478-487.
- Giri, S. S., A. Sahoo and N. N. Pathak. 2000. Feed intake, digestibility, plane of nutrition and live weight gain by crossbred growing bulls fed on grain less diets containing different nitrogen sources. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 83:195-203.
- Morrill, J. L., A. D. Dayton and R. Mickelsen. 1977. Cultured milk and antibiotics for young calves. J. Dairy Sci. 60:1105-1109.
- Yoon, I. K. and M. D. Stern. 1995. Influence of direct-fed microbials on ruminal microbial fermentation and performance of ruminants: a review. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 8:533-555.
- Agarwal, Neeta, D. N. Kamra, L. C. Chaudhary, A. Sahoo and N. N. Pathak. 2000. Selection of Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains for use as microbial feed additive. Letters in Appl. Microbiol. 31:270-273.
- Kamra, D. N., R. K. Sawal, N. N. Pathak, N. Kewalramani and N. Agarwal. 1991. Diurnal variation in ciliate protozoa in the rumen of black buck (Antilope cervicapra) fed green forage. Letters Appl. Microbiol. 13:165-167.
- Khuntia, A. and L. C. Chaudhary. 2002. Performance of male crossbred calves as influenced by substitution of grain by wheat bran and the addition of lactic acid bacteria to diet. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:188-194.
- Raut, P. K., H. N. Pandey, B. B. Srivastava, A. Sahoo and N. N. Pathak. 1996. Growth and nutrient digestibility of pre ruminant calves on grain replaced calf starter. J. Appl. Anim. Res. 9:175-180.
- Chen, C. R., B. Yu and P. W. S. Chiou. 2004. Roughage energy and degradability estimation with Aspergillus oryzae inclusion using Daisy In vitro fermentation Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:53-62.
- Das, K. C., D. N. Kamra and N. N. Pathak. 2002. Effect of supplementing lactic acid bacteria on the performance of crossbred female calves fed grain based or grainless concentrate mixture. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 72:789-793.
- Sar, C., B. Santoso, Y. Gamo, T. Kobayashi, S. Shiozaki, K. Kimura, H. Mizukoshi, I. Arai and J. Takahashi. 2004. Effects of combination of nitrate with 1-4 Galacto-oligosaccharides and Yeast (Candida kefyr) on methane emission from sheep. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:73-79.
- Oropeza, A. M. I., M. E. Posadas, S. J. M. Cervantes and N. O. Ortiz. 1998. Prevention of gastrointestinal diseases in suckling Holstein calves using probiotics. Veterinaria Mexico. 29:197-201.
- Newbold, C. J., R. J. Wallace and F. M. McIntosh. 1996. Mode of action of the yeast. Saccharomyces cerevisiae, as a feed additive for ruminants. Br. J. Nutr. 76:249-261.
- Prahalada, H. K., D. N. Kamra and N. N. Pathak. 2001. Effect of feeding of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Lactobacillus acidophilus on nutrient utilization and performance of crossbred cattle calves. Int. J. Anim. Sci. 16:103-107.
- Vinderola, C. G. and J. A. Reinheimer. 2003. Lactic acid starter and probiotic bacteria: a comparative 'in vitro' study of probiotic characteristics and biological barrier resistance. Food Res. Int. 36:895-904.
- Bakshi, M. P. S. and P. N. Langer. 1990. Probioticum as a feed additive for growing buffalo calves. Ind. J. Anim. Sci. 60:380-382.
- Byun, J. R., Y. J. Baik and Y. H. Yoon. 2004. Effects of feeding Lactobacillus spp. on the level of cell glutathione sulphydryl and immunoglobulin M in ICR mice. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:415-419.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1968. Statistical methods. 7th edn. The lowa State University Press, Ames, IA.
- Bernett, A. J. G. and R. L. Reid. 1957. Studies on the production of volatile fatty acids from grass in rumen liquor in artificial rumen. 1. The volatile fatty acid production. J. Agric. Sci. 48:315.
- Jouany, J. P., F. Mathieu, J. Senand, J. Bohatier, G. Bertin and M. Mercier. 1998. Effect of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Aspergillus oryzae on the digestion of nitrogen in the rumen of defaunated and refaunated sheep. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 75:1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(98)00194-1
- Williams, A. G. and G. S. Coleman. 1992. The Rumen Protozoa. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- NRC. 1989. Nutrient requirement of dairy cattle. 6th ed. National Academy of Sciences, Washington DC., USA.
- Barker, S. B. and W. H. Summersion. 1941. The calorimetric determination of lactic acid in biological materials. J. Biol. Chem. 138:535-554.
- van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods of dietary fibre neutral detergent fibre and non starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597.
- Ranjhan, S. K. 1994. Consultancy report on availability and requirement of feeds and fodder for livestock and poultry. Dept. A.H. and Dairying, Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India, New Delhi.
- Saito, T. 2004. Selection of useful probiotic 'lactic acid bacteria' from Lactobacillus acidophilus group and their application to functional foods. Anim. Sci. J. 75:1-13.
- Panda, A. K., R. Singh and N. N. Pathak. 1995. Effect of dietary inclusion of Saccharomyces cerevisiae on growth performance of crossbred calves. J. Appl. Anim. Res. 7:195-200.
- Wallace, R. J. and C. J. Newbold. 1993. Rumen fermentation and its manipulation: The development of yeast culture as feed additives. In: Biotechnology in Feed Industry (Ed. T. P. Lyons), Alletch Technical Publications, Nicholasville, Kentucky, pp. 173-192.
- Dey, A., Jatinder Paul Sehgal, Anil Kumar Puniya and Kishan Singh. 2004. Influence of an Anaerobic Fungal Culture (Orpinomyces sp.) Administration on growth rate, ruminal fermentation and nutrient digestion in calves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:820-824.
- Fuller, R. and A. Turvey. 1971. Bacteria associated with intestinal wall of the fowl (Gallus domesticus). J. Appl. Bacteriol. 34:817-822.
- Tanwattana, P., S. Chanpongsang and N. Chaiyabutr. 2003. Effects of exogenous bovine somatotropin on mammary function of late lactating crossbred holstein cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:88-95.
- spp. shedding in a challenging environment vol.101, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12567
- Immunobiotics for the Bovine Host: Their Interaction with Intestinal Epithelial Cells and Their Effect on Antiviral Immunity vol.9, pp.1664-3224, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2018.00326
- In vitro study of postbiotics from Lactobacillus plantarum RG14 on rumen fermentation and microbial population vol.47, pp.0, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/rbz4720170255
- supplementation on growth performance, nutrient utilization and faecal characteristics in Murrah buffalo calves vol.102, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12878