- Volume 18 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Association of SNP Marker in IGF-I and MYF5 Candidate Genes with Growth Traits in Korean Cattle
- Chung, E.R. (Department of Biotechnology, College of Life Science and Natural Resources, Sangji University) ;
- Kim, W.T. (Department of Biotechnology, College of Life Science and Natural Resources, Sangji University)
- Received : 2004.09.22
- Accepted : 2005.02.19
- Published : 2005.08.01
Growth rate is one of the economically important quantitative traits that affect carcass quantity in beef cattle. Two genes, bovine insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) and myogenic factor 5 (MYF5), were chosen as candidate genes for growth traits due to their important role in growth and development of mammals. The objectives of this study were to determine gene-specific single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) markers of the IGF-I and MYF5 positional candidate genes and to investigate their associations with growth traits in Korean cattle. Genotyping of the SNP markers in these candidate genes was carried out using the single strand conformation polymorphism (SSCP) analysis. The frequencies of A and B alleles were 0.72 and 0.28 for IGF-I gene and 0.39 and 0.61 for MYF5 gene, respectively, in Korean cattle population examined. The gene-specific SNP marker association analysis indicated that the SNP genotype in IGF-I gene showed a significant association (p<0.05) with weight at 3 months (W3), and cows with AB genotype had higher W3 than BB genotype cows. The SNP genotype of MYF5 gene was found to have a significant effect (p<0.05) on the weight at 12 months (W12) and average daily gain (ADG), and cows with BB and AB genotypes had higher W12 and ADG compared with cows with AA genotype, respectively. However, no significant association between the SNP genotypes and any other growth traits was detected. The gene-specific SNP markers in the IGF-I and MYF5 candidate genes may be useful for selection on growth traits in Korean cattle.
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Braun, T., E. Bober, M. A. Rudnicki, R. Jaenisch and H. H. Arnold. 1994. MyoD expression marks the onset of skeletal myogenesis in Myf-5 mutant mice. Development 120:3083-3092.
- Drogemuller, C. and A. Kempers. 2000. A TaqI PCR-RFLP at the bovine myogenic factor (MYF5) gene. Anim. Genet. 31:140-157.
- Gerbens, F., D. J. de koning, F. L. Harders, T. H. E. Meuwissen, L. L. G. Janss, M. A. M. Groenen, J. H. Veerkamp, J. A. M. Van Arendonk and M. F. W. te Pas. 2000. The effect of adipocyte and heart fatty acid-binding protein genes on intramuscular fat and backfat content in Meishan crossbred pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 78:552-559.
- Grosse, W. M., M. Kappes, W. W. Laegreid, J. W. Keele, C. G. Chitko-Mckown and M. P. Heaton. 1999. Single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) discovery and linkage mapping of bovine cytokine genes. Mamm. Genome 10:1062-1069.
- Hanset, R., C. Micheaux, C. Dessy-Doize and G. Burtonboy. 1982. Studies on the 7th rib cut in double-muscled and conventional cattle. Anatomical historical and biochemical aspects. In: Muscle hypertrophy of genetic origin and its use to improve beef production (Ed. J. W. B. King and F. Menissier). The Hague, Marinus Nijhoff. pp. 341-349.
- Jiang, Y. L., X. Z. Fan, L. R. Xiao, R. L. Xiang, X. X. Hu, L. X. Du and C. X. Wu. 2002b. Association of T-A mutation in the promoter region of myostatin gene with birth weight in Yorkshire pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1543-1545.
- Li, C., J. Basarab, W. M. Snelling, B. Benkel, B. Murdoch and S. S. Moore. 2002b. The identification of common haplotypes on bovine chromosome 5 within commercial lines of Bos taurus and their associations with growth traits. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1187-1194.
- Li, C., J. Basarab, W. M. Snelling, B. Benkel, B. Murdoch, C. Hansen and S. S. Moore 2004. Assessment of positional candidate genes MYF5 and igf1 for growth on bovine chromosome 5 in commercial of Bos taurus. J. Anim. Sci. 82:1-7.
- Miller, S. A., D. D. Dykes and H. F. Polesky. 1988. A simple salting out procedure for extracting DNA from human nucleated cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 16:1215.
- Moody, D. E., D. Pomp, S. Newman and M. D. MacNeil. 1996. Characterization of DNA polymorphisms in three populations of Hereford cattle and their associations with growth and maternal EPD in line 1 Herefords. J. Anim. Sci. 74:1784-1793.
- Ge, W., M. E. Davis, H. C. Hines, K. M. Irvin and R. C. M. Simmen. 2001. Association of a genetic marker with blood serum insulin-like growth factor-I concentration and growth traits in Angus cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 79:1757-1762.
Jiang, Y. L., X. Z. Fan, Z. X. Lu, H. Tang, J. Q. Xu and L. X. Du. 2002a. Detection of 881A
$\longrightarrow$881G mutation in tyrosinase gene and associations with the black ear coat color in rabbits. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1395-1397.
- Kim, J. B. and C. Lee. 2000. Historical look at the genetic improvement in Korean cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1467-1481.
- Kirkpatrick, B. W. 1992. Identification of a conserved microsatellite site in the porcine and bovine insulin-like growth factor-I gene 5΄ flank. Anim. Genet. 23:543-548. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.1992.tb00176.x
- Rothschild, M. F. and M. Soller. 1997. Candidate gene analysis to detect traits of economic importance in domestic livestock. Probe 8:13-22.
- Hughes, S. M and S. Schiaffino. 1999. Control of muscle fibre size: a crucial factor in ageing. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica 167:307-312.
- Te Pas, M. F. W., F. L. Harders, A. Soumillion, L. Born, W. Buist and T. H. E. Meuwissen. 1999. Genetic variation at the porcine MYF-5 gene locus. Lack of association with meat production traits. Mamm. Genome 10:123-127.
- Ge, W., M. E. Davis and H. C. Hines. 1997. Two SSCP alleles identified in the 5′-flanking region of the bovine IGFI gene. Anim. Genet. 28:155-156.
- Handel, S. E. and N. C. Stickland. 1988. Catch-up growth in pigs: relationship with muscle cellularity. Anim. Prod. 46:291-295.
- Li, C., J. Basarab, W. M. Snelling, B. Benkel, B. Murdoch, J. Kneeland, C. Hansen and S. S. Moore. 2000a. Identical by descent haplotype sharing analysis: Application in fine mapping of QTLs for birth weight in commercial lines of Bos taurus. Proc. 7th World Congr. Genet. Appl. Livest. Prod. pp. 481-484.
- Soumillion, A., J. H. Erkens, J. A. Lenstra, G. Rottenberger and M. F. te Pas. 1997. Genetic variation in the porcine myogenin gene locus. Mamm. Genome 8:564-568.
- Werner, H., M. Adamo, C. T. Roberts and D. LeRoith. 1994. Molecular and cellular aspects of insulin-like growth factor action. Vitam. Horm. 48:1-58.
- Identification and analysis of MC4R polymorphisms and their association with economic traits of Korean cattle (Hanwoo) vol.39, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-011-1133-3
- Candidate SNPs for carcass and meat traits in Nelore animals and in their crosses with Bos taurus vol.47, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-204X2012000200019
- Deciphering the Genetic Blueprint behind Holstein Milk Proteins and Production vol.6, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1093/gbe/evu102
- Association of Apolipoprotein B and Adiponectin Receptor 1 Genes with Carcass, Bone Integrity and Performance Traits in a Paternal Broiler Line vol.10, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0136824
- (Hamilton, 1822) vol.47, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jwas.12303
- 水牛IGF1 基因多态性与其生长性状、血清浓度以及IGF1 和IGF1R 基因表达的相关性研究 vol.18, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.B1600573
- Novel Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms of the Insulin-Like Growth Factor-I Gene and Their Associations with Growth Traits in Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms151222471
- Influence of single nucleotide polymorphisms in the myostatin and myogenic factor 5 muscle growth-related genes on the performance traits of Marchigiana beef cattle1 vol.92, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-7669