- Volume 20 Issue 3
Effect of Nutrition Education for Weight Control on the Dietary Behavior, Anthropometry, Body Composition, and the Serum Levels of Adipocytokines in the Elementary Obese Children
체중조절 영양교육 프로그램이 비만 아동의 식습관, 체중, 지방세포분비 호르몬의 농도에 미치는 영향
- Published : 2005.06.30
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of the weight control programme through nutrition education on anthropometry, body composition, dietary behavior, and adipocyte-drived protein in obese elementary school children. The subjects were 17 obese children of OI over 120% from the fourth to sixth grades of elementary school. The subjects were given nutrition education for weight control along with physical and behavioral advices once a week, and the program was 12 weeks long. On the completion of 12 week weight control program, significant decreases in waist and hip circumferences were resulted, however, no changes in body mass index (BMI) and obesity index (OI) were found. Hemoglobin was significantly decreased and HDL-cholesterol was significantly increased. Energy intake was decreased significantly along with intakes of Ca, Fe, folic acid, vitamin B1, vitamin B6, and vitamin C. Meal distribution of energy was changed; % energy from snack significantly from 11.9% to 3.3%. Resistin, leptin, and adiponectin level were not changed; Resistin had a negative correlation with vitamin C intake. Leptin had positive correlations with weight and BMI. Adiponectin was negatively correlated with weight and BMI. In conclusion, nutrition education program for weight control for 12 weeks is effective in changing the dietary behavior, serum profile, and anthropometry in obese elementary children, however, no effect was seen in adipocytokine levels.
weight control program;nutrition education;BMI;OI;resistin;adiponectin;leptin
- lnt J Obes Relat Metab Disord v.23 no.SUP.2 Risks and consequences of childhood and adolescent obesity Must, A.;Strauss, R.S.
- J Sch Nurs v.16 no.1 A coordinated school health program approach to adolescent obesity Illuzzi, S.;Cinelli, B.
- N Eng J Med v.329 no.14 Social and economic consequences of overweight in adolescence and young adulthood Gortmaker, S.L.;Must, A.;Perrin, J.M.;Sobol, A.M.;Dietz, W.H.
- J Nutr Education v.13 no.1 Strategies and their rationale for changing people's eating habits Hochbaum, G.M.
- Korean J Dietary Culture v.17 no.2 The effect of parent's nutritional education for body weight control of obese children Kim, K.H.
- Science v.269 no.5223 Weight-reducing effects of the plasma protein encoded by the obese gene Halaas, J.L.;Gajiwala, K.S.;Maffei, M.;Cohen, S.L.;Chait, B.T.;Rabinowitz, D.;Lallone, R.L.;Burley, S.K.;Friedman, J.M.
- Endocrinology v.7 Regulation of circulating leptin levels in humans Ahren, B.;Larsson, H.;Whihelmsson, C.
- Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci v.140 The role of depot fat in the hypothalamic control of food intake in the rat Kennedy, G.C.
- Ann N Y Acad Sci v.892 Molecular mechanism of metabolic syndrome X: contribution of adipocytokines adipocyte-derived bioactive substances Matsuzawa, Y.;Funahashi, T.;Nakamura, T.
- Trends Endocrinol Metab v.13 no.1 Resistin and obesity-associated insulin resistance Steppan, C.M.;Lazar, M.A.
- Science v.294 no.5549 A transgenic model of visceral obesity and the metabolic syndrome Masuzaki, H.;Paterson, J.;Shinyama, H.;Morton, N.M.;Mullins, J.J.;Seckl, J.R.;Flier, J.S.
- J Biol Chem v.276 no.28 Adipose tissue resistin expression is severely suppressed in obesity and stimulated by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma agonists Way, J.M.;Gorgun, C.Z.;Tong, Q.;Uysal, K.T.;Brown, K.K.;Harrington, W.W.;Oliver, W.R. Jr.;Willson, T.M.;Kliewer, S.A.;Hotamisligil, G.S.
- Diabetes v.51 no.6 Humoral regulation of resistin expression in 3T3-L1 and mouse adipose cells Shojima, N.;Sakoda, H.;Ogihara, T.;Fujishiro, M.;Katagiri, H.;Anai, M.;Onishi, Y.;Ono, H.;Inukai, K.;Abe, M.;Fukushima, Y.;Kikuchi, M.;Oka, Y.;Asano, T.
- J Clin Endocrinol Metab v.86 no.5 Hypoadiponectinemia in obesity and type 2 diabetes: close association with insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia Weyer, C.;Funahashi, T.;Tanaka, S.;Hotta, K.;Matsuzawa, Y.;Pratley, R.E.;Tataranni, P.A.
- Diabetes v.50 no.5 Circulating concentrations of the adipocyte protein adiponectin are decreased in parallel with reduced insulin sensitivity during the progression to type 2 diabetes in rhesus monkeys Hotta, K.;Funahashi, T.;Bodkin, N.L.;Ortmeyer, H.K.;Arita, Y.;Hansen, B.C.;Matsuzawa, Y.
- Pediatr Clin North Am v.32 no.2 Childhood obesity Epstein, L.H.;Wing, R.R.;Valoski, A.
- The treatment of obesity: an overview;obesity theory and therapy Wadden, T.A.
- Korean J Obesity v.10 no.2 Effects of Step by Step Diet Control Program in Obese Children Park, J.K.;Ahn, H.S.;Lee, D.W.
- J Korean Dietetic Association v.6 no.2 A study on dietary habits, dietary behaviors and body image recognition of nutrition knowledge after nutrition education for obese children in Seoul Lee, A.R.;Moon, H.K.;Kim, E.K.
- Nutritional assessment program, 'CAN pro 2.0' The Korean Nutrition Society, Nutrition information center
- Recommended dietary allowances for Koreans
- J Clin Endocrinol Metab v.89 no.4 Relationship between serum resistin concentrations and insulin resistance in nonobese, obese, and obese diabetic subjects Heilbronn, L.K.;Rood, J.;Janderova, L.;Albu, J.B.;Kelly, D.E.;Ravussin, E.;Smith, S.R.
- Resistin, adiponectin and leptin levels in obese children and the effect of weight control program on the hormones Choi, J.S.
- Obes Res v.11 no.8 Correlation between serum resistin level and adiposity in obese individuals Azuma, K.;Katsukawa, F.;Oguchi, S.;Murata, M.;Yamazaki, H.;Shimada, A.;Saruta, T.
- J Clin Endocrinol Metab v.88 no.4 Body fat mass and macronutrient intake in relation to circulating soluble leptin receptor, free leptin index, adiponectin, and resistin concentrations in healthy humans Yannakoulia, M.;Yiannakouris, N.;Bluher, S.;Matalas, A.L.;Klimis-Zacas, D.;Mantzoros, C.S.
- Physiol Res v.52 no.1 Leptin levels in obese children: effects of gender, weight reduction and androgens Pilcova, R.;Sulcova, J.;Hill, M.;Blaha, P.;Lisa, L.
- Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord v.25 no.11 Changes in serum interleukin-6 concentrations in obese children and adolescents during a weight reduction program Gallistl, S.;Sudi, K.M.;Aigner, R.;Borkenstein, M.
- J Clin Endocrinol Metab v.83 no.12 Evidence for leptin regulation of food intake in humans Larsson, H.;Elmstahl, S.;Berglund, G.;Ahren, B.
- Obes Res v.12 no.1 Plasma adiponectin levels and metabolic factors in nondiabetic adolescents Huang, K.C.;Lue, B.H.;Yen, R.F.;Shen, C.G.;Ho, S.R.;Tai, T.Y.;Yang, W.S.
- Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol v.24 no.1 Weight reduction with very-low-caloric diet and endothelial function in overweight adults: role of plasma glucose Raitakari, M.;Ilvonen, T.;Ahotupa, M.;Lehtimaki, T.;Harmoinen, A.;Suominen, P.;Elo, J.;Hartiala, J.;Raitakari, O.T.
- J Clin Endocrinol Metab v.89 no.2 Adiponectin gene expression and plasma values in obese women during very-low-calorie diet. Relationship with cardiovascular risk factors and insulin resistance Garaulet, M.;Viguerie, N.;Porubsky, S.;Klimcakova, E.;Clement, K.;Langin, D.;Stich, V.
- Am J Clin Nutr v.78 no.6 Meal modulation of circulating interleukin 18 and adiponectin concentrations in healthy subjects and in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus Esposito, K.;Nappo, F.;Giugliano, F.;Di Palo, C.;Ciotola, M.;Barbieri, M.;Paolisso, G.;Giugliano, D.