- Volume 20 Issue 2
The Physico-chemical Changes and Sensory Characteristics of Kimchi Added with the Mashed Red Pepper
마쇄고추를 첨가한 김치의 이화학적 성분 변화 및 관능적 특성
- Hwang, Sung-Yeon (Dept. of Food Biotechnology, Hankyong University) ;
- Park, So-Hee (Dept. of Hansung Co. Food Research Center) ;
- Kang, Geun-Ok (Dept. of Food Nutrition & Culinary Science, Hankyong University) ;
- Lee, Hyun-Ja (Dept. of Food Nutrition & Culinary Science, Hankyong University) ;
- Bok, Jin-Heuing (Dept. of Shillabakery Co. Food Research Center)
- 황성연 (한경대학교 식품생물공학과) ;
- 박소희 (한성식품기술연구소) ;
- 강근옥 (한경대학교 영양조리과학과) ;
- 이현자 (한경대학교 영양조리과학과) ;
- 복진흥 (신라명과 기술연구소)
- Published : 2005.04.30
We investigated the physico-chemical and sensory characteristics of Kimchi made with red pepper that was washed and mashed. The pH of juice from Kimchi made with red pepper powder was the highest on the day of Kimchi preparation. In the case of Kimchi made with mashed red pepper, the pH of juice and liquid was lower than that of other samples. A similar decrease in pH of juice and liquid was observed up to the second week of fermentation, but the significant difference between both samples wasn't found. The total acidity of Kimchi with mashed red pepper was significantly increased during early fermentation, but was similar during the second week, compared with that of Kimchi with red pepper powder. From the third week of storage, both juice and liquid from Kimchi made with red pepper powder was relatively increased. L and a value of liquid was highest in the case of Kimchi made with mashed red pepper, but b value was lowest during fermentation. In the case of organic acids, acetic acid and lactic acid contents were increased in Kimchi made with mashed red pepper while fermentation progressed. In addition, citric acid content was constant up to the second week in Kimchi made with mashed red pepper but from the third week wasn't detected in both Kimchi made with mashed red pepper and Kimchi made with red pepper powder. In the case of QDA(Quantitative Descriptive Analysis) profiles, the values of Kimchi made with mashed red pepper were significantly higher than those of Kimchi made with red pepper powder in respect to redness, pungency and fresh flavor immediately after the preparation of Kimchi and during the second week of fermentation, but during the fifth week the values were higher in respect to redness and fresh flavor of Kimchi. Appearance and overall acceptability was remarkably increased in Kimchi made with mashed red pepper, compared with that of Kimchi made with red pepper powder immediately after pickling, during the second and the fifth week of fermentation. Therefore, these results indicate that mashed red pepper increased more citric acid content, L and a value of Kimchi in comparison with red pepper powder, resulting in the good effects on overall acceptability due to the significant increase of redness and fresh flavor.
- Peppers, the domesticated capsicums Andrews, Jean
- Food balance sheet Korean Rural Economic Institute
- Agriculture statistics information National agricultural products quality management service
- Food Technol v.16 no.2 Effect of drying conditions on initial color, color retention and pungency of red pepper Lease, J.G.;Lease, E.J.
- Kor Agri Chem Soc. v.22 no.1 Color measurement of red pepper powder and its relationship with the quality Park, S.G.;Jeon, J.G.
- Kor J Food Sci Technol v.16 no.2 Sorption characteristics of red pepper powder with relative humidity and temperature Kim, H.G.;Park, M.H.;Min, P.Y.;Seo, G.B.
- J AOAC v.51 no.4 Improved method for determination of extractable color in Capsicum spices Rosebrook, D.D.;Bolze, C.C.;Barney, J.E.
- Indian Food Packer v.24 no.1 Studies on the sun drying of Chillies(Capsicum annum Linn) Laul, M.S.;Bhalerao, S.D.;Rane, V.R.;Amla, B.L.
- Kor Agri Chem Soc v.19 no.2 Studies on packaging of chillie(Capsicum annum Linn)s in flexible films, and their laminates Jang, G.S.;Kim, J.O.
- Kor J Food Sci Technol v.12 no.1 Color and carotenoid changes during storage of dried red pepper Kim, D.Y.;Rhee, C.O.
- Kor Agri Chem Soc v.25 no.1 Color changes of red pepper by drying and milling methods Kim, D.Y.;Rhee, C.O.;Shin, S.C.
- Korea taste Kang, I.H.
- Korea food Uoon, S.S.
- Korea traditional food Hwang, H.S.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists Official Methods of Analysis
- Korean J Soc Food Sci Technol v.30 no.2 Free sugar, organic acid, hesperidin, naringin and inorganic elements changes of Cheju citrus fruits according to harvest date Song, E.Y.;Choi, Y.H.;Kang, K.H.;Koh, J.S.
- The sensory test and method Kim, K.O.;Kim, S.S.;Seung, N.K.;Lee, Y.C.
- Application of SAS Kim, J.G.;Cha, J.O.;Kim, Y.J.
- SPSS & Statistics analysis Ha, M.H.
- Korean J Soc Food Nutr Sci v.14 no.3 Effect of pH adjuster on the fermentation of Kimchi Kim, S.D.
- Improvement of Kimchi processing technology and extension of its shelf-life. Research report of Ministry of Science and Technology Jo, J.S.
- J Food Sci v.26 no.1 Influence of salt(NaCl) on pectinolytic softening of cucumber Bell, T.A.;Etchells, J.L. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1961.tb00045.x
- Critical Review in Food Sci and Nutrition v.34 no.2 Biochemical, microbiological and nutritional aspects of Kimchi(Korean Fermented Vegetable Product) Cheigh, H.S.;Park, K.Y. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408399409527656
- Kor J Food Sci Technol v.7 no.1 The effects of the hot-air drying of red pepper on the quality Kim, K.H.;Chun, J.K.
- J Sci Food Agric v.68 no.2 Effect of hot-air drying on flavour compounds of bell peppers(Capsicum annuum) Luning, P.A.;Ebbengorst-Seller, T.;Rijk, T. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740680315
- Korean J Sac Food Nutr Sci v.13 no.3 Effects of sensory acceptability for Kinzchi prepared with different conditions of fermented seafood and red pepper Hwang, G.H.;Yoo, Y.K.;Chung, D.L.