- Volume 13 Issue 4
Analysis of Problems and Improvement of Environmental Impact Assessment in Social-Economic Items Based on 19 Major Large Scale Development Projects
주요개발사업의 환경영향평가서 분석을 통한 사회경제항목평가의 문제점과 개선방안
- Lee, Sang-Don (Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Ewha Womans University)
- 이상돈 (이화여자대학교 공과대학 환경학과)
- Received : 2004.04.20
- Accepted : 2004.08.05
- Published : 2004.08.31
Assessment in Socio-economic items should be used to estimate social influence when policies and projects were introduced. To estimate current situation of socio-economic items 19 Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) of large scale projects were analyzed. The projects were selected based on magnitude of social impact when the projects were implemented. Environmental Impact Statement was categorized into line projects(road construction, railroad construction, stream development, etc), and surface projects(energy development, wetland reclamation, recreation and sport development, and housing and residential development, etc) thus being chosen for 19 projects in each categories. This report was based on the analysis of 7 items in socio-economic environmental items(i.e., population, residents, industry, public facilities, education, transport and historical monument). Most EIS did not follow the regulation suggested by Ministry of Environment, and only current circumstances were briefly described. Indifference of in-depth analysis of socioeconomic environmental items would influence the process of social and environment impact negatively in the midst of construction of National Projects such as Outer Circle Seoul Highways, Saemankeum Reclamation Projects, etc. This abrupt halt of construction was mostly based on a lack of public hearing or public participation. Socio-economic items are also very much lacking in quantitative method and strengthening socio-economic environmental items is needed via checklist or matrix that brings decision-makers better ideas objectively.
- 구도완, 2002, 환경영향평가제도와 사회영향평가, ECO 3: 133-156.
- 남영숙, 1998, 환경영향평가제도의 사회경제환경분야 개선방안 연구, 한국환경정책평가연구원 RE-06.
- 이시재, 2002, 사회영향평가의 이론과 방법론, ECO 3: 106-132.
- 임경택, 신남철, 정현옥, 2002, 환경영향평가기법, 지구문화사.
- 윤순진, 2003, 사회영향평가와 참여적 정책결정, 한국환경사회학회 연구보고서.
- 환경부, 2001, 환경영향평가관련규정집, 환경부.
- 홍준형, 2001, 환경법, 박영사.
- Canter, L., 1996, Environmental Impact Assessment, McGraw-Hill.
- Lane, M., 1997, Social Impact Assessment: Strategies for improving practice, Australian Planner, 34, 100-102. https://doi.org/10.1080/07293682.1997.9657756
- Webler, T., H. Kastenhols, and O. Renn., 1995, Public participation in impact assessment: A social learning perspective, Environmental Assessment Review, 15, 443-463. https://doi.org/10.1016/0195-9255(95)00043-E
- Barrow, C.J., 2000, Social Impact Assessment: An introduction, London.
- Burdge, R.J., 2002, Social Impact Assessment: Why is social impact ssessment the orphan of the assessment process? Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal, 20(1), 3-9. https://doi.org/10.3152/147154602781766799
- 유헌석, 주용준, 정성훈, 2002, 환경영향평가상의 효율적 주민의견 수렴에 관한 연구, 환경영향평가 11:311-319
- Becker, H., 1997, Social impact assessment: method and experience in Europe, North America and the Developing world, University College London Press.
- Burdge, R.J., 1998, A conceptual approach to social impact assessment: Collection of writings by Rabel J. Burdge and Colleagues, Middleton, Social Ecology Press.
- 주현수, 2003, 환경영향평가 항목범위 획정을 위한 가이드라인 개발, 환경부 연구보고서.