- Volume 1 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Computational modeling of cracking of concrete in strong discontinuity settings
- Oliver, J. (ETS Enginyers de Camins, Canals i Ports de Barcelona, Technical University of Catalonia (UPC), Campus Nord UPC) ;
- Huespe, A. (ETS Enginyers de Camins, Canals i Ports de Barcelona, Technical University of Catalonia (UPC), Campus Nord UPC) ;
- Pulido, M.D.G. (ETS Enginyers de Camins, Canals i Ports de Barcelona, Technical University of Catalonia (UPC), Campus Nord UPC) ;
- Blanco, S. (ETS Enginyers de Camins, Canals i Ports de Barcelona, Technical University of Catalonia (UPC), Campus Nord UPC)
- Received : 2003.06.27
- Accepted : 2003.09.15
- Published : 2004.02.25
The paper is devoted to present the Continuum Strong Discontinuity Approach (CSDA) and to examine its capabilities for modeling cracking of concrete. After introducing the main ingredients of the CSDA, an isotropic continuum damage model, which distinguishes tension and compression states, is used to implicitly induce a projected traction separation-law that rules the cracking phenomena. Criteria for onset and propagation of material failure and specific finite elements with embedded discontinuities are also briefly sketched. Finally, some representative numerical simulations of cracking, in plain and reinforced concrete specimens, using the CSDA are presented.
concrete;crack modeling;strong discontinuity;continuum damage
- Oliver, J., Huespe, A.E. and Samaniego, E. (2003a), A Study of finite elements for capturing strong discontinuities. Int. J. for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 56, 2135-2161. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.657
- Oliver, J. and Huespe, A.E. (2003b), "Theoretical and computational issues in modeling material failure in Strong discontinuity scenarios", Accepted Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng.
- Rots, J.G. (1988), "Computational modeling of concrete fracture", PhD Thes, Delft University of Technology.
- Runesson, K, Ottosen, N.S. and Peric, D. (1991), "Discontinuous bifurcations of Elastic-plastic Solutions at Plane Stress and Plane Strain", Int. J. Plasticity, 7, 99-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-6419(91)90007-L
- Simo, J.C., Oliver, J. and Armero, F. (1993), "An analysis of strong discontinuities induced by strain-softening in rate-independent inelastic Solids", Computational Mechanics, 12, 277-296. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00372173
- Spencer, B. (2002), "Finite elements with embedded discontinuity for modeling reinforced concrete members", Ph.D. Thesis, Dept. Civil, Env. Arch. Eng., University of Colorado. Colorado, U.S.A.
- Wells, G.N. and Sluys, L.J. (2000), "Application of embedded discontinuities for softening Solids", Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 65, 263-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7944(99)00120-4
- Borja, R.I. (2000), "A finite element model for strain localization analysis of strongly discontinuous fields based on standard Galerkin approximation", Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Eng., 190, 1529-1549. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7825(00)00176-6
- Cervera, M., Agelet de Saracibar, C. and Chiumenti, M. (2001), COMET: a multipurpose finite element code for numerical analysis in solid mechanics. Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
- Larsson, R., Runesson, K. and Sture, S. (1996), "Embedded localization band in undrained soil based on regularized strong discontinuity theory and finite element analysis", Int. J. Solids and Structures, 33, 20-22, 3081-3101. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(95)00272-3
- Lemaitre, J. (1985), "A continuous damage mechanics model for ductile fracture", J. of Engineering Materials and Technology, Trans. ASME, January 1985, 107, 83-89.
- Nechnech, W. (2000), "Contribution to the numerical analysis of concrete and reinforced concrete structures behaviour subjected to thermal and mechanical loads. A thermoelasto-plastic-damage approach", PHd Thesis, Lyon Applied Science National Institue, France. (In French). Available in : http://csidoc.insa-lyon.fr/these/ 2000/nechnech/.
- Nooru-Mohamed, N.B. (1992), "Mixed mode fracture of concrete: an experimental approach", Ph.D. Thesis, Delft University of Technology, Delft, Netherlands.
- NW-IALAD (2003), European Network "Integrity assessment of large dams", web page: http://nwialad. uibk.ac.at/Wp2/Tg2/Se2/Ss1.
- Armero, F. and Garikipati, K. (1996), "An analysis of strong discontinuities in multiplicative finite strain plasticity and their relation with the numerical simulation of strain localization in solids", Int. J. Solids and Structures, 33, 20-22, 2863-2885. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(95)00257-X
- Bazant, Z.P. (1986), "Mechanics of distributed cracking", Appl. Mech. Review, 39(5), 675-702. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3143724
- Oliver, J. (1996), "Modeling strong discontinuities in solid mechanics via strain softening constitutive equations. Part1: Fundamentals; Part 2: Numerical simulation", Int. J. for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 39, 3575-3623. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0207(19961115)39:21<3575::AID-NME65>3.0.CO;2-E
- Oliver, J., Cervera, M. and Manzoli, O. (1999), "Strong discontinuities and continuum plasticity models: the strong discontinuity approach", Int. J. of Plasticity, 15, 319-351. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-6419(98)00073-4
- Oliver, J. (2000), "On the discrete constitutive models induced by strong discontinuity kinematics and continuum constitutive equations", Int. J. Solids and Structures, 37, 7207-7229. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(00)00196-7
- Oliver, J., Huespe, A.E., Pulido, M.D.G. and Chaves, E. (2001), "From continuum mechanics to fracture mechanics: the strong discontinuity approach", Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 69(2), 113-136.
- Oliver, J., Huespe, A.E., Samaniego, E. and Chaves, E.W.V. (2002), "On strategies for tracking strong discontinuities in computational failure mechanics, proceedings of the fifth world congress on computational mechanics (WCCM V)", Editors: Mang, H.A.; Rammerstorfer, F.G.; Eberhardsteiner, J., Publisher: Vienna University of Technology, Austria, ISBN 3-9501554-0-6, http://wccm.tuwien.ac.at
- Interface model for fracture behaviour of fiber-reinforced cementitious composites (FRCCs) vol.15, pp.9, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1080/19648189.2011.9714858