- Volume 21 Issue 4
This study conducted descriptive literature review on adolescent smoking and the related factors to realize significance of adolescent smoking onset in Korea and to identify risk factors of smoking incidence. Korean adolescent smoking status was generated based on the cumulated data of the Korean Association of Smoking and Health. Risk factors of adolescent smoking were identified based on 18 studies written in English, with cross-sectional research design and published as a peer-reviewed journal article between 1994 and 2003. The results were as follows. 1. Korean adolescent smoking rate was the highest among OECD affiliated countries; in particular, male adolescent smoking incidence was very serious. 2. Risk factors related to smoking of adolescent population were personal factor, friend factor, family factor, and mass-media factor. Demographic characteristics, attitudes on smoking, and willingness of smoking, and health behaviors were selected as personal factor of smoking. 3. Best friends smoking was a strong factor of students' smoking set. Prevalent popularity of smoking in peer-group allowed students to feel free to smoking. 4. Concerning family factor related to smoking status, parents' smoking and sibling's smoking were significant indicators of adolescent smoking status. 5. Seeing smoking behaviors and scenes through films, TV shows, drama, and advertisement was a significant risk factor of adolescent smoking status.
- Ariza-Cardenal C & Nebot-Adell M. Factors associated with smoking progression among Spanish adolescents. Health Education Research, 17(6), 750-760 https://doi.org/10.1093/her/17.6.750
- Arnett JJ, Terhanian G. Adolescents' responses to cigarette advertisements: links between exposure, liking, and the appeal of smoking. Tobacco Control, 1998;7(2):129-33 https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.7.2.129
- Carvajal SD et al. Psychosocial determinants of the onset and escalation of smoking: Cross-sectional and prospective findings in Multi-ethnic middle school samples. Journal of adolescent health, 2000;27:255-265 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(00)00124-5
- Castrucci BC et al. The association among adolescents' tobacco use, their beliefs and attitudes, and friends' and parents' opinions of smoking. Matern Child Health J, 2002;6(3):159-167 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1019774028526
- Chen X et al. Smoking Patterns of Asian-American Youth in California and Their Relationship with Acculturation. J Adolesc Health, 1999;24:321-328 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(98)00118-9
- Cote, F., Godin, G., and Gagne, C. Identification of factors promoting abstinence from smoking in a cohort of elementary schoolchildren. Prev Med 2004;39:695-703 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.02.037
- Everett SA et al. Relationship Between Cigarette, Smokeless Tobacco, and Cigar Use, and Other health risk behaviors among U.S. high school students. Journal of school health, 70(6), 234-239 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2000.tb07424.x
- Holowaty P et al. Cigarette smoking in multicultural, urban high school students. J Adolesc Health, 2000;27(4): 281-288 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(99)00122-6
- Kawabata, T., Cross, D., Nishioka, N., and Shimai, S. Relationship between self-esteem and smoking behavior among Japanese early adolescents: initial results from a three-year study. J Sch Health 1999;69(7):280-4 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.1999.tb06409.x
- Kim, Y. Psychological constructs to predicting smoking behavior among Korean secondary school students. Prev Med, 2004;38:620-27 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2003.12.010
- Korea Association of Smoking & Health. Adolescent smoking behavior in Korea. 2001. [On-line resource] http://www.kash.or.kr/user/0_data_01.htm.
- Korean Association of Smoking & Health. 2002 smoking status in Korea. 2002. [On-line resource] http://www.kash.or.kr/user/0_data_01.htm.
- Korean Ministry of Health & Welfare. Comprehensive strategies for smoking cessation. 2001. [On-line resource] http://www.kash.or.kr/user/0_data_01.htm.
- Kropp, R.Y., and Halpern-Felsher, B.L. Adolescents' beliefs about the risks involved in smoking 'Light' cigarettes. Pediatrics 2004;114(4):445-51 https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2004-0893
- Maziak W & Mzayek F. Characterization of the smoking habit among high chool students in Syria., Eur J Epidemiol., 2000;16(12):1169-1176 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010907724688
- Moor C, Johnston DA, Werden DL, Elder JP, Senn K, Whitehorse L. Patterns and correlates of smoking and smokeless tobacco use among continuation high school students., Addict Behav. 1994;19(2):175-184 https://doi.org/10.1016/0306-4603(94)90041-8
- Moore L, Roberts C, Tudor-Smith C. School smoking policies and smoking prevalence among adolescents: multilevel analysis of cross-sectional data from Wales. Tobacco Control, 2001;10(2):117-123 https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.10.2.117
- Olds RS & Thombs DL. The Relationship of Adolescent Perceptions of Peer Norms and Parent Involvement to Cigarette and Alcohol Use, Journal of School Health. 2002;71(6):223-228 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2001.tb01322.x
- Robinson, T.N., and Killen, J.D. Do cigarette warning labels reduce smoking? Paradoxical effects among adolescents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med., 1997;151(3):267-272 https://doi.org/10.1001/archpedi.1997.02170400053010
- Sargent JD et al. Effect of seeing tobacco use in films on trying smoking among adolescents: cross sectional study. BMJ, 2001;323:1394-1397 https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.323.7326.1394
- Sargent JD & Dalton M. Does parental disapproval of smoking prevent adolescents from becoming established smokers? Pediatrics, 2000; 108(6):1256-1262 https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.108.6.1256
- Shin Y.K. The effectiveness of smoking cessation programs for adolescence. Korean Journal of Family Medicine. 1998
- Wang MQ et al. Family and peer influences on smoking behavior among American adolescents: an age trend. J Adolesc Health, 1995;16(3):200-203 https://doi.org/10.1016/1054-139X(94)00097-X