- Volume 46 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Vitamin C and E on Carcass Grade and Fatty Acid Composition of Hanwoo Steers
비타민 C 및 E 급여가 한우 거세우의 도체등급과 지방산 조성에 미치는 영향
- Chu, G.M. (Faculty of Animal Science and Technology, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Ahn, B.H. (Faculty of Animal Science and Technology, Gyeongsang National University)
- Published : 2004.06.30
This experiment was carried out to investigate the effects of dietary vitamin C and E on carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steers. Thirty seven Hanwoo steers were randomly assigned to one of four treatments. The four treatments were control(vitamin E 20 IU/kg feed), vitamin C(vitamin C 0.1%/kg feed and vitamin E 20 IU/kg feed), vitamin E(vitamin E 220 IU/kg feed) and vitamin C plus E(vitamin C 0.1%/kg feed and vitamin E 220 IU/kg feed). Hanwoo steers were fed experimental diets for 3 months of the last finishing period. Animals fed the diet containing vitamin C plus E had higher(P<0.05) yield grade than those fed the other diets but quality grade was not different between animals fed the control diet and vitamin-supplemented diets. Proximate analysis in longissimus dorsi was not different between animals fed the control diet and vitamin-supplemented diets. Vitamin C concentration in longissimus dorsi was higher (P<0.05) in the animals fed the vitamin C diet and the vitamin C plus E diet than in those fed the control diet and the vitamin E diet. Vitamin E concentration in longissimus dorsi was higher(P<0.05) in the animals fed the diet supplemented with vitamin E and the diet supplemented with vitamin C plus E than in those fed the control diet and the vitamin C diet. Animals fed the diet supplemented with vitamin C was higher(P<0.05) in myristic acid, palmitic acid, palmitoleic acid and oleic acid in the longissimus dorsi than those fed the other diets, but linoleic acid in longissimus dorsi was higher(P<0.05) in the animals fed the vitamin E diet than those fed the other diets. However, saturated fatty acid and unsaturated fatty acid were not different between animals fed the control diet and vitamin-supplemented diets.
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis. 16th edition. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, D. C.
- Buckley, D. J., Morrissey, P. A. and Gray, J. I. 1995. Influence of dietary vitamin E on the oxidative stability and quality of pig meat. J. Anim. Sci. 71: 3122-3130.
- Chan, W. K. M., Hakkarainen, K, Faustman, C., Schaefer, D. M., Scheller, K. K. and Liu, Q, 1996. Dietary vitamin E effect on color stability and sensory assessment of spoilage on three beef muscles. Meat Sci. 42(4):387-399.
- Enser, M., Hallett, K G., Hewett, B., Fursey, G. A. J., Wood J. D. and Harrington, G. 1998. Fatty acid content and composition of UK beef and lamb muscle in relation to production system and implications for human nutrition. Meat Sci. 49(3):329-341.
- Faustman, C, Cassens, R. G., Schaefers, D. M., Buege, D. R., Williams, S. N. and Scheller, K. K. 1989. Improvement of pigment and lipid stability in Holstein steer beef by dietary supplementation with vitamin E. J. Food Sci. 54:858-862. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1989.tb07899.x
- Folch, J., Lees, M. and Stanley, G. H. S. 1957, A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. BioI. Chern, 226:497-509.
- Gatellier, P., Hamelin, C., Durand, Y. and Renerre, M. 2001. Effect of a dietary vitamin E supplementation on colour stability and lipid oxidation of air- and modified atmosphere packaged beef. Meat Sci. 59:133-140.
- Harbers, C. A. Z., Harrison, D. L. and Kropf, D, H. 1981. Ascorbic acid effects on bovine muscle in the presence of radiant energy. J. Food Sci. 46:7.
- Horstein, I., Crowe, P. F. and Hiner, R. 1967. Composition of lipids on some beef muscle. J. Food Sci. 32:650.
- Link, B. A., Bray, R. W., Cassens, R. G. and Kauffinan R, G. 1970. Fatty acid composition of bovine skeletal muscle lipids during growth. J. Anim, Sci. 30:726.
- Liu, Q., Lanari, M. C. and Scheafer, D. Moo 1995. A review of dietary vitamin E supplementation for improvement of beef quality. J. Anim. Sci. 73(10):3131-3140.
- Mitsumoto, M., Ozawa, S., Mitsuhashi, T., Kono, S., Harada, T., Fujita, K. and Koide, K. 1995. Improvement of color and lipid stability during display in Japanese black steer beef by dietary vitamin E supplementation for 4 weeks before slaughter. Jpn. Anim. Sci. Techn. 66:962-968.
- National Livestock and Meat Board. 1988. Nutrient values of muscle food: Composition values of specific cuts of meat, poultry and fish. National Livestock and Meat Board. Chicago. IL.
- Putnam, M. E. and Comben, N. 1987. Vitamin E. Vet. Rec. 121:541.
- Realini, C. E., Duckett, S. K., Brito, G. W., Rizza, M. D. and Mattos, D. D. 2003. Effect of pasture vs. concentrate feeding with or without antioxidants on carcass characteristics, fatty acid composition and quality of Uruguayan beef. Meat Sci. 66(3):567-577. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(03)00160-8
- Rumsey, T. S., Oltjen, R. R., Bovard, K. P. and Priode, B. M. 1972. Influence of widely diverse fmishing regimens and breeding on depot fat composition on beef cattle. J. Anim, Sci. 35:1069
- SAS. 2000. SAS/STAT user's guide. Version 8, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, N. C., U.S.A.
- Salvatori, G., Pantaleo, L., Cesare, C. Di, Maiorano, G., Filetti, F. and Oriani, G. 2004. Fatty acid composition and cholesterol content of muscles as related to genotype and vitamin E treatment in crossbred lambs. Meat Science. 67:45-55.
- Schwarz, F. J., Augustini, C., Timm, M. and Kirchgener, M. 1998a. Improvement of the quality of beef by dietary vitamin E supplementation in the finishing period of young bulls: I. Experimental design, carcass quality and meat quality. Fleischwirtschaft. 78:134-137.
- Schwarz, F. J., Augustini, C., Timm, M., Kirchgener, M. and Steinhart, H. 1998b. Effect of vitamin E on a-tocopherol concentration in different tissues and oxidative stability of bull beef. Livestock Production Sci. 56:165-171.
- Tappel, A. L., Duane, B. W., Zalkin, H. and Maier, V. P. 1961. Unsaturated lipid peroxidation catalyzed by hematin compounds and its inhibition by vitamin E. J. Animal Oil Chem. Soc. 38:5.
- Waldman, R. C, Suess, G. G. and Brungardt, V. H. 1968. Fatty acids of certain bovine tissues and their association with growth. carcass and palatability traits. J. Anim. Sci. 27:632.
- Yang, A., Larsen, T. W., Powell. V. H. and Tume, R. K. 1999. A comparison of fat composition of Japanese and long-term grain-fed Australian steers. Meat Sci. 51:1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00065-5
- Yoshimura T. and Namikawa, K. 1983. Influence of breed, sex and anatomical location on lipid and fatty acid composition of bovine subcutaneous fat. Jpn. J. Zooteeh. Sci. 54:97.
- 김수민, 이신호, 성삼경, 1997. Vitamin C와 Vitamin E 처리가 한우육의 육색 및 지방화에 미치는 영향. 한국축산학회지. 39(3):267-274.
- 박병성, 유익종. 1994a. 도축 후 저장조건이 쇠고기의 지방산 조성에 미치는 영향. 한국축산식품 학회지. 14(1):79.
- 박병성, 유익종. 1994b. 한우, 휼스타인 및 수입 쇠고기의 지방산 조성 비교. 한국축산학회지. 36(1):69-75.
- 송만강, 김내수, 정정수, 최양일, 원유석, 정재경, 최성호. 2000. 농후사료 급여수준이 거세한우의 증체와 부위별 지방조직의 지방산 조성에 미치는 효과. 동물자원과학회지. 42(6):859-870.
- 신기간, 박형일, 이성기, 김천제. 1998. 식육의 종류 및 부위에 따른 지방산 조성에 관한 연구. 한국축산식품학회지. 18(3):261-268.
- 이성수, 정재경, 박노형, 원유석. 1997. 거세가 한우의 도체특성과 혈청 대사물질에 미치는 영향. 한국축산학회지. 39(2):145-154.
- 日本食品標準成分表(四訂). 1982. 科學技術廳資源調査會糏集. 大蒇省印刷局. 東京.
- 日本ビタミン學會. 1990. ビタミン 分所法. 尼崎印刷.
- 축산물등급판정소. 2001. 축산물등급판정사업보고서.
- 축산물등급판정소. 2002. 2002 축산물등급판정연보.
- 축산물등급판정소. 2003. 축산물등급판정세부기준 농림부 고시 제 003-14호. 1-20.
- 축산산업기술연구원. 2004. 2004 축산산업총람. 축산산업기술연구원.