- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Nutrients removal on Oxic/Anoxic time ratio in 2-stage-intermittent-aeration reactor
2단 간헐 포기조의 포기/비포기 시간비에 따른 영양염류 제거특성
- Published : 2004.07.01
This study was conducted to remove organics and nutrients using 2 stage intermittent aeration reactor. First reactor, using suspended microbial growth in intermittent aeration instead of anaerobic reactor in the typical BNR process, used minimum carbon source to release P, and it was possible to reduce ammonia loading going to second reactor. In the second reactor, using moving media intermittent aeration, it was effective to reduce nitrate in non-aeration time by attached microorganisms having long retention time. In aeration time, nitrification and P uptake were taken place simultaneously. From the experiment, two major results were as follows. First, the removal of organics was more than 90%, and optimum aeration/non-aeration time ratio for organic removal was corresponded with aeration/non-aeration time ratio for nitrogen removal. Second, in the first reactor, optimum aeration/non-aeration time ratio was 15/75 (min.) because it was necessary to maintain 75 min. of non-aeration time to suppress of impediment of return nitrate and to lead release of phosphate. In the second reactor, optimum aeration/non-aeration time ratio was 45/90 (min.).
Intermittent Aeration;Biological Nutrients Removal(BNR);Carbon Source;Oxic/Anoxic Time ratio
- Randall, C. W., J. L. Barnard and H. D. Stensel, 1992, Design and retrofit of wastewater treatment plants for biological nutrient removal, Technomic Publishing Company, Inc., 16-20pp.
- Koottatep, S., C. Leesanga and H. Araki, 1994, Intermittent aeration for nitrogen removal in small aerated lagoon, Wat. Sci. Tech., 28(10), 335-341. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00056a718
- Zhao, H. W., D. S. Mavinic, W. K. Oldham and F. A. Koch, 1999, Controlling factors for simultaneous nitrification and denitrification in a two-stage intermittent aeration process treating domestic sewage, Wat. Res., 33(4), 961-970 . https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(98)00292-9
- Zhao, H. W., D. S. Mavinic, W. K. Oldham and F. A. Koch, 1998, Factors affecting phosphorus removal in a two-stage intermittent aeration process treating domestic sewage, Wat. Sci. Tech., 38(1), 115-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0273-1223(98)80001-2
- Osada, T., K. Haga and Y. Harada, 1991, Removal of Nitrogen and phosphorus from swine wastewater by the activated sludge units with the intermittent aeration process, Wat. Res., 25(11), 1377-1388. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(91)90116-8
- Kousei, S., Y. Yasuji, T. Kazushi, O. Sachiko and M. Yutaka, 1996, Development of 2-reactor intermittent-aeration activated sludge process for simultaneous removal of nitrogen and phosphorus, Wat. Sci. Tech., 34(1-2), 111-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/0273-1223(96)00500-8
- APHA, A WW A and WEF, 1998, Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 20th Edition.