- Volume 9 Issue 3
Observations on the Coastal Ocean Response to Typhoon Maemi at the East Sea Real-time Ocean Buoy
동해 실시간 해양관측 부이로부터 관측한 태풍 매미에 대한 연안해양의 반응 고찰
- Nam, Sung-Hyun (Ocean Laboratory/RIO, School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Yun, Jae-Yul (Ocean Laboratory/RIO, School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Kuh (Ocean Laboratory/RIO, School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Seoul National University)
- 남성현 (서울대학교 지구환경과학부) ;
- 윤재열 (서울대학교 지구환경과학부) ;
- 김구 (서울대학교 지구환경과학부)
- Published : 2004.08.01
An ocean buoy was deployed 10 km off Donghae city, Korea at a depth of 130 m to measure meteorological (air pressure, air temperature, wind speed, wind gust, wind direction, relative humidity) and oceanographic data (water properties and currents in the whole column) in real-time. The buoy recorded a maximum wind gust of 25 m/s (10 minutes' average speed of 20 m/s) and a minimum air pressure of 980 hPa when the eye of typhoon Maemi passed by near the Uljin city, Korea at 03:00 on 13 September 2003. The wave height reached maximum of 9 m with the significant wave height of 4 m at 04:00 (1 hour after the passage of Maemi). The currents measured near the surface reached up to about 100 cm/s at 13:00 (10 hours after the passage of Maemi). The mixed layer (high temperature and low salinity) thickness, which was accompanied by strong southward current, gradually increased from 20 m to 40 m during the 10 hours. A simple two layer model for the response to an impulsive alongshore wind over an uniformly sloping bottom developed by Csanady (1984) showed reasonable estimates of alongshore and offshore currents and interface displacement for the condition of typhoon Maemi at the buoy position (x=8.15 km) during the 10 hours.
Typhoon;Maemi;Buoy;Two Layer Model;Response To Impulsive Alongshore Wind;Uniformly Sloping Bottom
- 한국기상학회지 v.36 no.5 파랑-해양순환 접합모델을 이용한 폭풍해일에 대한 파랑과 조석이 영향 연구 문일주;오임상
- J. Phys. Oceanogr. v.19 Observation of the response of thermocline currents to a Hurricane Brink,K.H.
- Circulation in the coastal ocean Csanady,G.T.
- J. Kor. Soc. Oceanogr. v.34 A three-dimensional numerical study of effects of Typhoon on oceanographic conditions in the Korea Strait Hong,C.H.
- J. Geophys. Res. The upper ocean response to North Atlantic Hurricanes and tropical storms, 1997-2001 Kwon,Y.O.;S.C.Riser
- J. Kor. Soc. Oceanogr. v.38 Ocean response to Typhoon Rusa in the south sea of Korea and in the East China Sea Lee,D.K.;P.Niler
- Development of ESROB(East Sea Real-time Ocean Buoy), PICES(North Pacific Marine Science Organization) Scientific Report Series for the MONITOR workship in 11th annual meeting Nam,S.H.;K.W.Kim;H.R.Kim;C.B.Cho;S.J.Lyu;Y.G.Kim;K.Kim
- Proc. Spring Meeting Kor. Soc. Oceanogr. 2-5 day band coastal ocean variability in winter of 1997-98 and 2000-01 off the Donghae city, Korea Nam,S.H.;K.Kim
- J. Oceanogr. v.49 Observation of tempeerature and velocity from a surface buoy moored in the Shikoku Basin(OMLET-88)-An oceanic response to Typhoo Taira,K.;S.Kitagawa;H.Otobe;T.Asai