- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of scratches on optical connector interface surface on the insertion loss
광 커넥터 접합면의 스크래치가 삽입손실에 미치는 영향
- 윤영민 (숭실대학교 정보통신전자공학부) ;
- 윤정현 (숭실대학교 정보통신전자공학) ;
- 김부균 (숭실대학교 정보통신전자공학) ;
- 신영곤 (산업자원부 기술표준) ;
- 송국현 (산업자원부 기술표준원)
- Published : 2004.08.01
This paper presents the effect of scratches on an optical connector interface surface on the insertion loss of optical connectors. We propose a model for calculating the insertion loss of optical connectors. The model is expressed in terms of geometrical parameters of scratches assuming that the transmission coefficient of a light wave on the scratch surfaces is linearly varied as a function of scratch depth. Geometrical parameters of scratches such as location, width, and depth of scratches are measured using 3D optical interferometry surface profiler. We obtain the equation of the transmission coefficient in terms of scratch depth comparing the experimental insertion loss data to the insertion loss data using the model presented in this paper. Using the model and the equation of the transmission coefficient presented in this paper, we present the results of the insertion loss of optical connectors for various geometrical parameters of scratches. Scratches which are located at longer than two times the core radius from the center of the core show negligible effect on the insertion loss of optical connectors.
- Ryo Nagase, "Recent Progress on Optical Fiber Connectors for Telecommunication Systems," OECC 2003, pp. 117-118, 2003.
- E. Sugita, R. Nagase, K. Kanayama, T. Shintaku, "SC-type single-mode optical fiber connectors," J. Lightwave Technol., vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 1689-1696, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1109/50.45890
- R. Nagase, E. Sugita, S. Iwano, K. Kanayama, Y. Ando, "Miniature optical connector with small zirconia ferrule," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 1045-1047, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/68.97857
- M. De Rosa, J. Carberry, V. Bhagavatula, K. Wagner, C. Saravanos, "High-power performance of single-mode fiber-optic connectors," J. Lightwave Technol., vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 879-885, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2002.1007944
- L. B. Jeunhomme, Single-mode fiber optics(New York, Dekker, 1990).
- D. Marcuse, "Loss analysis of single-mode fiber splices," J. Bell Sys. Technol., vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 703-718, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1538-7305.1977.tb00534.x
- OECC 2003 Recent Progress on Optical Fiber Connectors for Telecommunication Systems. Ryo Nagase
- J. Lightwave Technol v.7 no.11 SC-type single-mode optical fiber connetors E. Sugita;R. Nagase;K. Kanayama;T. Shintaku https://doi.org/10.1109/50.45890
- IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. v.3 no.11 Miniature optical connector with small zirconia ferrule R. Nagase;E. Sugita;S. Iwano;K. Kanayama;Y. Ando https://doi.org/10.1109/68.97857
- J. Lightwave Technol. v.20 no.5 High-power performance of single-mode fiber-optic connectors M. De Rosa;J. Carberry;V. Bhagavatula;K. Wagner;C. Saravanos https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2002.1007944
- Single-mode fiber optics L.B. Jeunhomme
- J. Bell Sys. Technol. v.56 no.5 Loss analysis of single-mode fiber splices D. Marcuse https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1538-7305.1977.tb00534.x