- Volume 14 Issue 2
This study estimates the determinants of national health expenditures of OECD countries using panel regression method. The data used are OECD Health Data(2003) covering 33 countries and from 1970 to 2001. This study shows several important different results compared to the previous studies. Further this study estimates the determinants of Korean case using data from 1m to 2000, and compare with the results of OECD panel. The main findings are as follows. The income elasticity of health expenditures is estimated below 1.0, but is shown above 1.0 when the different health systems of each country are controlled. The women's labor participation influences strongly positive effect on the health expenditures. The diffusion of new technologies is positively related with the increasing expense. The increasing government expenditures have a tendency not to contain health expenses, but to increase expenses. The expansion of public health insurance holders is containing the expenses, and the increasing number of doctors is pushing expenditures. This implies the health expenditures are influenced more by the induced demand of providers rather than the moral hazard of patients. However, the above result is opposite in Korean case. The existence of primary care doctors affects slightly up warding rather than containing expenditures. Finally the determinants are seriously depending upon which factors are included in the model and which statistical model is chosen. Therefore it must be cautious to interpret the results of statistical model.
National health expenditures;Panel study;OECD health;Determinants if health expenditures
- Newhouse JP. Medical care expenditure: a cross-national survey. Journal of Human Resources 1977;12:115-125. https://doi.org/10.2307/145602
- Hitiris T, Posnett J. The determinants of effects of Health expenditure in developed countries. Journal of Health Economcs 1992;11:173-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6296(92)90033-W
- 장영식, 고경환, 도세록, 이내연. 2001년 국민의료비 추계. 서울: 한국보건사회연구원;2003.
- Roberts J. Sensitivity of elasticity estimates for OECD health care sepnding: analysis of a dynamic heterogeneous data field. Paper prepared for the Seventh European Workshop of Econometrics and Health Economics, STAKES, Helsinki, Finland, 9-12 September 1998.
- 홍정기. 국민의료비의 시계열 및 간접의료비용 추계. 서울: 한국보건사회연구원;1995.
- 사공진, 손장원. 국민의료비 결정요인 및 그 효과에 대한 연구. 보건경제연구 1999;5:1-23.
- Gerdtham UG, Jonsson B, MacFarlan M, Oxley H. The determinants of health expenditure of the OECD countries. In : Zweifel. P editors. Health, the Medical Profession, and Regulation. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers; 1998.
- Gerdtham UG, Jonsson B. International comparisons of health care expenditure: conversion factor instability, heteroscedasticity, outliers and robust estimators. Journal of Health Economics 1992c:11:189-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6296(92)90035-Y
- Gerdtham UG, Sogaard J, Jonsson B, Anderson F. A pooled cross-section analysis of the health expenditure of the OECD countries. In : Zweifel P and H Frech, editors. Health Economics Worldwide. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers: 1992b.
- 김병운. 국민의료비 결정요인에 관한 시계열분석. 보건경제연구 2000;6(2):31-49.
- Gerdtham UG, Sogaard J, Anderson F, Jonsson B. Econometric analysis of health expenditure: a cross-sectional study of the OECD countries. Journal of Health Economics 1992a:11:63-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6296(92)90025-V
- Newhouse JP. Medical care costs: How much welfare loss?. Journal of Economic Perspectives 1992;6(3):3-21.
- 사공진. Panel Study 에 의한 국민의료비의 결정요인 분석. 보건경제연구 1995;1:30-52.
- Leu RE. The public-private mix and international health care cost. In: Culyer AJ, Jonsson B, editors. Public and Private Healthcare Services. Oxhord:Basil Blackwell;1986.
- 이견직, 정영호. 국민의료비 결정요인 및 영향력 분석. 보건행정학회지 2002;12(3):99-111.
- Barros PP. The block-box of health care expenditure growth determinants. Health Economics 1998;7:533-544. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1050(199809)7:6<533::AID-HEC374>3.0.CO;2-B