- Volume 38 Issue 2
As affective barriers to library and information use, library anxiety(Mellon, 1986) has been studied in reference/information services and bibliographic instructions. The paper revisits Mellon's theory of library anxiety and Bostick's(1992) Library Anxiety Scale(LAS) in the digital library environment. In particular, this study attempts to address the inadequacy of the continued applications of LAS in the digital library environment, although the scale has been used unquestionably as the instrument measuring library anxiety. This contention was substantiated by three service trends in digital libraries(i.e., digital reference services, remote access, and transition from bibliographic instructions to information literacy) and by re-analyses of published library anxiety research papers in recent years. This study addresses the need for scale development that could measure anxieties of digital library users. It also suggests Information Literacy Anxiety Scale(ILAS) as a direction for the new scale.
Library anxiety;Library Anxiety Scale;Digital library anxiety;Information anxiety;Information Literacy Anxiety Scale;Scale development;Affective barriers
- Final Report Presidential Committee on Information Literacy American Library Association
- Scale Development:Theory and Applications DeVellis,R.F.
- RQ v.28 Developing a model of the library search process:Cognitive and affective aspects Kuhlthau,C.C.
- Library & Information Science Research v.19 no.1 Writing a research proposal:The role of library anxiety, statistics anxiety, and composition anxiety Onwuegbuzie,A. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0740-8188(97)90003-7
- College & Research Libraries v.47 Library anxiety:A grounded theory and its development Mellon,C.A. https://doi.org/10.5860/crl_47_02_160
- In Anxiety:Current Trends in Theory and Research The nature of anxiety with emphasis on its relationship experctancy Epstein,S.;C.Spielberger(ed.)
- In Annual Review of Information Science and Technology v.19 Psychological research in human-computer interaction Borgman,C.;M.E.Williams(ed.)
- Library Quarterly v.69 Indentifying library anxiety through students' learning modality preferences Jiao,Q.;A.Onwuegbuzie https://doi.org/10.1086/603054
- Library & Information Science Research v.23 Library anxiety and Computer Anxiety:Measures, validity, and research implications Jerabek,J.A.;L.S.Meyer;S.T.Kordinak https://doi.org/10.1016/S0740-8188(01)00083-4
- Journal of Americaln Society for Information Science v.42 no.5 Inside the search process:Information seeking from the user's perspective Kuhlthau,C.C. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4571(199106)42:5<361::AID-ASI6>3.0.CO;2-#
- Distance Eudcation at Degree-Granting Postsecondary Institutions:2000-2001 National Center for Education Statistics
- Manu-script submitted for publication Library anxiety and the educational use of the internet Onwuegbuzie,A.;Q.Jiao
- Journal of Library Administration v.31 no.3/4 Providing serices and information to the dispersed off-campus student:An integrated approach [at Deakin University] Cavanagh,A.K. https://doi.org/10.1300/J111v31n03_13
- College & Researcg Libraries v.63 Applying systems design and item response theory to the problem of measuring information literacy skill O'Connor,L.G.;C.J.Radcliff;J.A.Gedeon https://doi.org/10.5860/crl.63.6.528
- Library & Media Services. Project SAILS Kent State University
- Library Anxiety:Theory, Research and Applications Onwuegbuzie,A.;Q.Jiao;S.Bostick
- M.A thesis Reducing library anxiety in first-year students:Computer-assisted instruction vs. bibliographic instruction Cleveland,A.M.
- Manu-script submitted for publication Relationship betwwn library anxiety and computer anxiety Jiao,Q.;A.Onwuegbuzie
- RQ v.32 The hungry rats syndrome:Library anxiety, information literacy, and the academic reference process Keefer,J.
- Studies in Second Language Acquisition v.16 The effects of induced anxiety on three stages of cognitive processing in computerized vocabulary learning MacIntyre,P.D.;R.C.Gardner https://doi.org/10.1017/S0272263100012560
- In Anxiety:Current Trends in Theory and Research Current trends in theory and research on anxiety Spielberger,C.D.;C.D.Spielberger(ed.)
- Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory Spielberger,C.D.;R.L.Gorsuch;R.E.Lushene
- Online(Weston, Conn.) v.22 no.6 The impact of digital reference on librarians and library users Tenopir,C.;L.Ennis
- Library Quarterly v.67 Antecedents of library anxiety Jiao,Q.;A.Onwuegbuzie https://doi.org/10.1086/629972
- Project SAILS Project for the Standardized Assessment of Information Literacy Skills
- In Self-related Cognitions in Anxiety and Motivation Anxiety and cognitive processing of instruction Tobias,S.
- 한국문헌정보학회지 v.32 no.4 원격 정보이용교육에 관한 연구:대학도서관 웹페이지에 수록된 내용을 중심으로 박온자
- Journal of Academic Librarianship v.27 Library anxiety among undergraduates:A study of Israeli B. Ed. students Shoham,S.;D.Mirachi https://doi.org/10.1016/S0099-1333(01)00216-6
- Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology v.53 Research anxiety and students' perceptions of research:an experiment. Effect of teaching Kuhlthau's ISP Model Kracker,J. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.10040
- 정보관리학회지 v.19 no.4 디지털참고정보서비스의 최근 개발동향 최석영
- Seeking Meaning:A Process Approach to Library and Information Services(2nd ed.) Kuhlthau,C.C.
- Journal of Library Administration v.37 no.3/4 The relationship between library anxiety and off-campus adult learners Veal,R. https://doi.org/10.1300/J111v37n03_19
- Ph. D. diss. The Development and Validation of the Library Anxiety Scale Bostick,S.
- College&Research Libraries v.65 no.1 Development and validation of the Multidimensional Library Anxiety Scale Van Kampen,D. https://doi.org/10.5860/crl.65.1.28
- In Handbook of Stress:Theoretical and Clinical Aspects Stress and personality Endler,N.;J.Edwards;L.Goldberger(ed.);S.Breznitz(ed.)
- 정보관리학회지 v.17 no.4 대학도서관의 웹 기반 전자참고 정보서비스에 관한 연구 유재옥
- Library & Information Science Research v.26 Off-Campus adult learners' levels of library anxiety as a predictor of attitudes toward the internet Collins,K.;R.Veal https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lisr.2003.11.002
- Library Anxiety:Theory, Research, and Applications A.Onwuegbuzie;Q.Jiao;S.Bostick
- Library Trends v.47 no.1 Service perspectives for the digital library:Remote reference services Sloan,B.G.
- Library Anxiety:Theory, Research, and Applications A,Onwuegbuzie;Q.Jiao;S.Bostick
- Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education Association of College and Research Libraries
- Journal of Documentation v.37 no.1 On user studies and information needs Wilson,T.D. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb026702
- An Analysis of Relationship Between Self-Cognition Level of Information Literacy and Library Anxiety vol.45, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2011.45.4.123
- Library anxiety, library use and academic performance of undergraduate students in Pakistan vol.65, pp.8/9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1108/LR-03-2016-0024
- Emotional Intelligence and Academic Anxieties: A Literature Review vol.23, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/13614533.2016.1270839
- The relationship between emotional intelligence, library anxiety, and academic achievement among the university students pp.1741-6477, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0961000618790629