- Volume 15 Issue 1
A Comparative Analysis of Demonstratives: based on Korean, English, Spanish and Russian text
- 김명자 (서울대학교 / 인문학연구원) ;
- 채숙희 (서울대학교 / 인문학연구) ;
- 조은영 (서울대학교 / 인문학연구원)
- Published : 2004.03.01
This paper deals with the anaphoric usage of demonstratives when they refer to what are already mentioned in the context. We examine syntactic, semantic and pragmatic factors that contribute to the choice of demonstratives. As for anaphoric usage, English and Spanish show the even distribution between proximal and distal demonstratives with the meaning of their deictic counterparts. Korean and Russian, however, show the uneven distribution of the more prevalent form (unmarked on) and the lesser one (market one). This study aims at a typological explanation for the anaphoric usage of demonstratives through comparison and contrast with such factors as the distance to the antecedent, cognitive status, psychological distance and the center of attention.
cognitive status;empathy;focus movement;popped-off focus
- 슬라브어연구 v.5 지시대명사 연구 : 대용적 용례를 중심으로 김명자
- 의미론 서설 심재기;이기용;이정민
- Language v.79 Demonstratives in Space and Interaction: Data from Lao Speakers and Implications for Semantic Analysis Enfield,N.J.
- Studies in Anaphora Demonstratives in Narrative Discourse: A Taxonomy of Universal Uses Himmelmann, Nikolaus P.;Barbara Fox(ed.)
- Centering Theory in discourse Walker, Marilyn A.;Aravind K. Joshi;Ellen F. Prince
- Lingustics v.30 The grammar of referential coherence as mental processing instructions Givon,T.
- Slavistische Linguistik Die Gebrauchsbedingungen des Anaphorikums "tot' in substantivischer Verwendung Berger, Timan;Daniel Weiss
- Coherernce Theory: The Case of Russian Norgard-Sorensen, J.
- CLS v.29 Why 'this' and 'that' are not complete without 'it' Strauss, Susan
- Studies in Anaphora Anaphora in Russian Narrative Prose: A Cognitive Calculative Account Kibrik, andrej A.;Barbara Fox(ed.)
- 한글 no.178 지시의 분류와 지사사 '이.그.저'의 쓰임 김일웅
- Syntax and Semantics v.12 Focus of attention and the choice of Pronouns in Discourse Linde, Charlotte;Talmy Givon(ed.)
- Scando-slavica v.44 Pronouns and their reference in Russian Norgard-Sorensen, J.
- Computational Models of Discourses Focusing for Interpretation of Pronouns Sidner,C.L.
- 국어문법의 심층구조2 임홍빈
- Demonstratives: Form, Function, and Granmaticalization Diesel, Holger
- 어학연구 v.16 no.2 지시사 '이,그.저'의 의미분석 장경희
- 러시아연구 v.9 no.1 현대러시아어의 지시표현 연구 김명자
- Referencial'nye aspekty vyskazyvanija (semantika i sintaksis mestoimennyx slov) Paduceva, Elera Viktorovna
- Language v.69 Cognitive Status and the Form of Referring Expressions in Discourse Gundel, Jeanette;Nancy Hedbert;Ron Zacharski
- Cohesion in English Halliday,M.A.K.;Ruqaiya Hasan
- American contributions to the 9th International congress of Slavists v.1 On Expressing 'Definiteness' in Slavic Language and English Naylor, Kenneth E.;Michael Flier(ed.)