- Volume 12 Issue 2
Close-coupled catalyst (CCC) can reduce the engine cold-start emissions by utilizing the energy in the exhaust gas. However, in case the engine is operated at high engine speed and load condition, the catalytic converter may be damaged and eventually deactivated by thermal aging. Excess fuel is sometimes supplied intentionally to lower the exhaust gas temperature avoiding the thermal aging. This sacrifices the fuel economy and exhaust emissions. This paper describes the results of an exhaust heat exchanger to lower the exhaust gas temperature mainly under high load conditions. The heat exchanger was installed between the exhaust manifold and the inlet of close-coupled catalytic converter. The exhaust heat exchanger successfully decreased the exhaust gas temperature, which eliminated the requirement of fuel enrichment under high load conditions. However, the cooling of the exhaust gas through the heat exchanger may cause the deterioration of exhaust emissions at cold start due to the increment of catalyst light-off time.
- SAE 970264 Reduced Cold-Start Emissions Using Rapid Exhaust Port Oxidation (REPO) in a Spark Engine M.E.Crane;R.H.Thring;D.J.Podnar;L.G.Dodge
- SAE 950254 High Temperature Ultra Stable Close-Coupled Catalysts Z.Hu;R.M.Heck
- SAE 910175 The Effect of High Temperature Aging on Platinum-Rhodium and Palladium-Rhodium Three Way Catalysts R.J.Brisley;R.D.O'Sullivan;A.J.J.Willkins
- SAE 940927 The Effect of Intermittent Misfire and Air to Fuel Ratio Excursions on Exhaust Catalyst Temperature R.D.O'Sullivan;N.S.Will
- SAE 1999-01-3505 Replacing Fuel Enrichment in a Turbo Charged SI Engine : Lean Burn or Cooled EGR B.Grandin;H.S.Angstrom
- Transactions of KSAE v.10 no.3 Effect of Engine Operating Conditions on the Catalyst Temperature S.H.Lee;C.S.Bae;Y.P.Lee;T.S.Han
- SAE 2000-01-0966 Exhaust Heat Exchange Coefficient in a Pipe of an Internal Combustion Engine : EGR Cooler and Passenger Compartment Heating Applications Ngy Srun A.P.
- SAE 971806 The Effect of Fouling on the Performance of Finned Tube Heat Exchanger K.Sherwin
- SAE 2003-01-0939 Modeling and Measuring Exhaust Back-pressure Resulting from Flow Restriction Through Aftertreatment System J.Y.Kim;M.L.Corsetti;L.Biundo;D.A.Dobson;R.E.Beason