- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of Substituting Cottonseed Meal with Sunflower Meal in Rations for Growing Buffalo Calves
- Yunus, A.W. (Animal Nutrition Program, Animal Sciences Institute, National Agricultural Research Center) ;
- Khan, A.G. (Animal Nutrition Program, Animal Sciences Institute, National Agricultural Research Center) ;
- Alam, Z. (Faculty of Animal Husbandry, University of Agriculture) ;
- Sultan, J.I. (Faculty of Animal Husbandry, University of Agriculture) ;
- Riaz, M. (Faculty of Animal Husbandry, University of Agriculture)
- Received : 2003.08.11
- Accepted : 2004.03.04
- Published : 2004.05.01
A growth trial of 60 days with 16 male buffalo calves (10 to 11 months age; 100
Sunflower Meal;Buffalo Calves;Weight Gain;Digestibility;Nitrogen Balance
- AOAC. 1995. Official Methods of Analysis. 16th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Arlington, Virginia.
- Arelovich, H. M., H. E. Laborde, J. J. Villalba and M. B. Toreea. 1993. Supplementation of wheat straw with oats, urea, sunflower meal and meat meal in cattle: 1. Intake, digestibility and weight gain. Revista Argentina de Producción Aniaml 13:15-21.
- Cornu, A., J. M. Besle, P. Mosoni and E. Grenet. 1994. Lignincarbohydrate complexes in forages: Structure and consequences in the ruminal degradation of cell-wall carbohydrates. Reproduction Nutrition Development 34:385-398.
- Jabbar, M. A., N. N. Ali, M. S. Sharif, Saeed-Ur-Rehman, H. Riaz, M. K. Abbas, S. Waseem and M. Zahid. 1998. Sunflower Meal: An economical substitution of cottonseed cake in livestock feeding. Livestock Production Research Institute Bahadurnagar, Okara. pp. 13-15.
- Karim, M. Z., A. Rehman and M. Y. Baig. 1996. Sunflower meal as a substitute of cottonseed cake in the diet of Sahiwal male calves. 4th Report, Animal Nutrition Centre, Rakh Dera Chahl, Lahore. pp. 26-29.
- Lardy, G. P. and V. Anderson. 2002. Canola and sunflower meal in beef cattle diets. The Veterinary Clinics: Food Animal Practice. 18:327-338.
- MINFAL. 2002. Agriculture Statistics of Pakistan 2001-02. Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock. Food, Agriculture and Livestock Division (Economic Wing), Islamabad.
- Niazi, A. H. K., M. A. Khan, Tasnim Kausar and F. H. Shah. 1992. Effect of processing conditions on the nutritive value of sunflower meal. Pakistan J. Scientific Industrial Research 35:309-312.
- NODP. 1995. Oilseeds Development Strategy. National Oilseed Development Project, Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock, Pakistan. pp. 1-6.
- PARC. 2002. Growth performance and nutrient utilization pattern in buffalo calves. PARC Annual Report 2001. Pakistan Agricultural Research Council, Islamabad. pp. 69-70.
- Richardson, C. R., R. N. Beville, R. K. Ratcliff and R. C. Albin. 1981. Sunflower meal as a protein supplement for growing ruminants. 1. Anim. Sci. 53:557-563.
- Schroeder, G. E., L. J. Erasmus and H. H. Meissner. 1996. Chemical and protein quality parameters of heat processed sunflower oilcake for dairy cattle. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 58:245-265.
- Garg, M. R. 1998. Role of bypass protein in feeding ruminants on crop residue based diet - review. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 11:107-116. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1998.107
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie. 1980. Principles and Procedures of Statistics: A Biometrical Approach. 2nd edn. McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage Fiber Analysis. Apparatus reagents procedures and some applications. Agric. Handbook No. 379. Dept. Doc., US Govt. Printing Off., Washington, DC.
- NODP. 1995a. By-product Utilization. National Oilseed Development Project, Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock, Pakistan. pp. 8-9.
- Mirza, I. H., M. I. Anjum, A. G. Khan and A. Azim. 2004. Comparative evaluation of cotton seed meal and sunflower seed meal in urea molasses blocks versus commercial concentrate as supplement to basal ration of wheat straw with stall-fed buffalo calves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:193-198.
- NRC. 1988. Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle. 6th rev. edn. National Academy Press. Washington, DC.
- Milton, C. T., R. T. Jr. Brandt and E. C. Titgemeyer. 1997. Effect of degradable and escape protein and roughage type on performance and carcass characteristics of finishing yearling steers. J. Anim. Sci. 75:2834-2840.
- Patterson, H. H., J. C. Whittier and L. R. Rittenhouse. 1999. Performance of beef cows receiving cull beans, sunflower meal, and canola meal as protein supplements while grazing native winter range in Eastern Colorado. J. Anim. Sci. 77:750-755.
- GOP. 2003. Economic Survey 2002-03. Government of Pakistan, Economic Advisor’s Wing, Finance Division, Islamabad.
- AFRC. 1993. Energy and protein requirements of ruminants. An advisory manual prepared by the AFRC technical committee on responses to nutrients. CAB International, Wallingford, UK.
- Erasmus, L. J., D. M. Botha and H. H. Meissnes. 1994. Effect of protein source on ruminal fermentation and passage of amino acids to the small intestine of lactating cows. J. Dairy Sci. 77:3655-3665.
- Kuldip, M., A. Akbar, A. B. MandaI and P. C. Gupta. 1995. Comparative feeding value of sunflower and mustard-cake in sheep. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 65:944-946.
- Muller, Z. O. 1986. Fattening of ruminants under feedlot system in Pakistan. FAO Technical Cooperation Programme, TCP/PAK/2308. Pakistan Agricultural Research Council, Islamabad. pp. 4-5.
- Putt. E. D. 1978. History and present world status. In: Sunflower Science and Technology (Ed. J. F. Carter). American Society of Agronomy, Inc., Publishers. Madison, Wisconsin, USA. pp. 1-30.
- Jung, H. G. and K. P. Vogel. 1986. Influence of lignin on digestibility of forage cell wall material. Anim. Sci. 62:1703-1712.
- Response of Male Buffalo Calves to Different Levels of Energy and Protein in Finishing Diets vol.10, pp.9, 2007, https://doi.org/10.3923/pjbs.2007.1398.1405
- Effect of energy and protein levels on nutrient utilization and their requirements in growing Murrah buffaloes vol.48, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-016-1033-6