- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Genetic Identity between Bhadawari and Murrah Breeds of Indian Buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis) Using RAPD-PCR
- Saifi, H.W. (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Bhushan, Bharat (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Kumar, Sanjeev (CARI) ;
- Kumar, Pushpendra (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Patra, B.N. (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Sharma, Arjava (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute)
- Received : 2003.07.31
- Accepted : 2004.03.02
- Published : 2004.05.01
Randomly Amplified Polymorphic DNA-Polymerase Chain Reaction (RAPD-PCR) analysis was carried out with a battery of 11 random decamer primers to study band frequency (BF), genetic identity index (I) and mean average percentage difference (MAPD) between Bhadawari and Murrah breeds of buffalo. The primers OPA04 and BG15 resolved a band of 460 bp, which was present only in animals of Bhadawari breed. Whereas, the primers OPA14, BG27 and BG28 produced Murrah specific fragments of sizes 730 bp and 1,230 bp, respectively. The estimate of genetic identity index was highest (0.845) with the primer OPA01 and the lowest (0.479) with the primer BG27. The genetic identity index pooled over the primers was 0.596
- Gilbert, D. A., N. Lehman, S. J. O'Brien and R. K. Wayne. 1990. Genetic fingerprinting reflects population differentiation in the California Channel Island fox. Nature, 344:764-766.
- Plotsky, Y., M. G. Kaiser and S. J. Lamont. 1995. Genetic characterization of highly inbred chicken lines by two DNA methods: DNA fingerprinting and PCR using arbitrary primers. Anim. Gene. 26:163-70.
- Williams, J. K. G., A. R. Kubelik, K. J. Livak, J. A. Rafalski and S. V. Tingey. 1990. DNA polymorphisms amplified by arbitrary primers are useful as genetic markers. Nucleic Acids Research 18:6531-6535.
- Gwakisa, P. S., S. J. Kemp and A. J. Teale. 1994. Characterization of Zebu cattle breeds in Tanzania using random amplified polymorphic DNA markers. Animal Genetics 25:89-94.
- Shivakumar, B. M. 1997. Molecular characterization of Indian cattle breeds using RAPD markers. M. V. Sc. Thesis submitted to Deemed University, IVRI, Izatnagar, Bareilly, U.P., India.
- Aravindakshan, T. V. and A. M. Nainar. 1998. Genetic variation in cattle and buffalo breeds analysed by RAPD markers. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 51(6):368-374.
- Bowditch, B. M., D. G. Albright, J. G. K. Williams and M. J. Braun. 1993. Use of randomly amplified polymorphic DNA markers in comparative genome studies. Methods in Enzymology 224:294-309.
- Kumar, K. G., P. Kumar, S. Kumar, T. K. Bhattattacharjya, A. K. Patel and B. Bhushan. 2001. RAPD-PCR fingerprinting in sheep. Proceedings, VIII Annual Conference and National Symposium on Animal Health and Production in New Millennium and Indian Veterinary Congress, held at Ludhiana, India from February 22-23, 2001.
- Singru, R. A. 1998. Molecular characterization of Indian breeds of buffalo using RAPD-PCR technique. M. V. Sc. Thesis submitted to Deemed University, IVRI, Izatnagar, Bareilly, U.P., India.
- Yukhi, N. and S. J. O'Brien. 1990. Variation of mammalian major histocompatibility complex reflects genomic diversity and population history. Proceedings National Academy of Sciences, USA: 836-840.
- Ahn, B. H., Y. D. Ko and Y. S. Park. 1999. Study on DNA fingerprinting in Han Woo cattle. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. 41(6):577-588.
- Lynch, M. 1990. The similarity index and DNA fingerprinting. Molecular Biology Evolution 7:478-484.
- Mullis, K. B. and F. A. Faloona. 1987. Specific synthesis of DNA in vitro via a polymerase catalysed chain reaction. Methods in Enzymology 155:335-351.
Anderson, L., J. Bohme, L. Rask and P. A. Peterson. 1986. Genomic Hybridation of bovine class II major histocompatibility genes: 1. Extensive polymorphism of DQ
$\alpha$and DQ $\beta$genes. Anim. Gene. 17:95-112.
- Ramesha, K. P., T. Saravanan, M. K. Rao, M. M. Appannavar and A. O. Reddy. 2002. Genetic distance among south Indian breeds of zebu cattle using random amplified DNA markers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(3):309-314.
- Variabilidade genética em búfalos estimada por marcadores RAPD vol.41, pp.4, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-204X2006000400011
- DNA fingerprinting of Pakistani buffalo breeds (Nili-Ravi, Kundi) using microsatellite and cytochrome b gene markers vol.39, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-011-0808-0