- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Suppression of Maturational Competence by Streptomycin during In vitro Maturation of Goat Follicular Oocytes
- Kang, Jae Ku ;
- Chang, Suk Min ;
- Naruse, Kenji ;
- Han, Jeung Whan ;
- Park, Chang Sik ;
- Jin, Dong Il
- Received : 2004.01.30
- Accepted : 2004.04.30
- Published : 2004.08.01
Antibiotics are common additives in culture media during in vitro embryo development, but their effects on oocyte maturation in vitro have not been tested. The effects of penicillin, streptomycin and gentamicin on the maturational competence and subsequent development potential of goat follicular oocytes were examined after parthenogenetic activation in vitro. Maturation rates at 24 h after in vitro maturation, and parthenogenetic development at 48 h after activation, were evaluated by observing the protruding first polar body and the 4 cell stage cleavage, respectively. When streptomycin was present in the maturation medium, the percentages of matured oocytes 24 h after activation were significantly (p<0.01) lower than those from the other groups (42.5-45.7% vs. 69.1-73.8%). Penicillin and gentamicin treatment did not affect the maturation rates or the percentages reaching the 4 cell stage 48 h after activation. There was no significant difference in cleavage rates among the different antibiotic treatments 48 h after activation. Therefore, streptomycin suppresses the in vitro maturation of immature goat oocytes, but does not influence their subsequent development.
Antibiotics;Streptomycin;In vitro Maturation;Goat Oocytes
- Hertweck, M., R. Hiller and M. W. Mueller. 2002. Inhibition of nuclear pre-mRNA splicing by antibiotics in vitro. Eur. J. Biochem. 269:175-183.
- Malakar, D. and A. C. Majumdar. 2002. Secretory proteins from goat oocytes matured in culture. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:340-345.
- Moss, P. S., D. H. Spector, C. A. Glass and R. C. Strohman. 1984. Streptomycin retards the phenotypic maturation of chick myogenic cells. In vitro 20:473-478.
- Rho, G. J., A. C. Hahnel and K. J. Betteridge. 2001. Comparisons of oocyte maturation and of three methods of sperm preparation for their effects on the production of goat embryos in vitro. Theriogenology 56:503-516.
- Shimizu, K., T. Harada and S. Okada. 1991. Toxicity of gentamicin in organ culture of fetal rat intestine. Cell Biol. Int'l. Reports 15:479-484.
- Yadav, P. S., A. Saini, A. Kmer and G. C. Jain. 1998. Effect of oviductal cell co-culture on cleavage and development of goat IVF embryos. Anim. Repro. Sci. 51:301-306.
- Yang, B. C., G. S. Im, W. K. Won, Y. K. Lee, S. J. Lee, D. I. Jin, K. S. Im and C. K. Lee. 2003. Survival and in vitro development of immature bovine oocytes cryopreserved by vitrification. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:23-28.
- Bormann, C. L., E. M. Ongeri and R. L. Krisher. 2003. The effect of vitamins during maturation of caprine oocytes on subsequent developmental potential in vitro. Theiogenology 59:1373-1380.
- Amonn, F., U. Baumann, U. N. Wiesmann, K. Hofmann and N. Herschkowitz. 1978. Effects of antibiotics on growth and differentiation in dissociated brain cell cultures. Neuroscience 3:465-468.
- Mayor, P., M. Lopez-Bejar, E. Rodriguez-Gonzalez and M. T. Paramio. 2001. Effects of the addition of glutathione during maturation on in vitro fertilization of prepubertal goat oocytes. Zygote. 9:323-330.
- Magli, M. C., L. Gianaroli, A. Fiorentino, A. P. Ferraretti, D. Fortini and S. Panzella. 1996. Improved cleavage rate of human embryos cultured in antibiotic-free medium. Hum. Repro. 11:1520-1524.
- Zhou, H., S. H. McKiernan, W. Ji and B. D. Bavister. 2000. Effect of antibiotics on development in vitro of hamster pronucleate ova. Theriogenology 54:999-1006.
- Martino, A., T. Mogas, M. J. Palomo and M. T. Paramio. 1995. In vitro maturation and fertilization of prepubertal goat oocytes. Theriogenology 43:473-485.
- Teotia, A., G. T. Sharma and A. C. Majumdar. 2001. Fertilization and development of caprine oocytes matured over granulosa cell monolayers. Small Rumin Res. 40:165-177.
- Schafer, T. W., A. Pascale, G. Shimonaski and P. E. Came. 1972. Evaluation of gentamicin for use in virology and tissue culture. Appl. Microbiol. 23:565-570.
- Susko-Parrish, J. L., M. L. Leibfried-Rutledge, D. L. Northey, V. Schutzkus and N. L. First. 1994. Inhibition of protein kinases after an induced calcium transient causes transition of bovine oocytes to embryonic cycles without meiotic completion. Dev Biol 166:729-739.
Supported by : Korean Science & Engineering Foundation