- Volume 17 Issue 2
Ruminal digestion of dry matter (DM) and neutral detergent fiber (NDF) of processed (ensiled, deepstacked or composted) broiler litter (BL) was determined in situ and in vitro, and compared with rice straw (RS). DM disappearances at 24 and 48 h and digestion of differently processed BL were higher than those of RS. Compared with RS, processed BL was low in NDF disappearance at 72 h incubation, digestion rate (
Broiler Litter;Rice Straw;Rice Hulls;Fiber;Digestion;In Situ;In Vitro
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis (15th Ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, DC., USA.
- Armentano, L. E., T. A. Herrinton, C. E. Polan, A. J. Moe, J. H. Herbein and P. Umstadt. 1986. Ruminal degradation of dried brewers grains, wet brewers grains and soybean meal. J. Dairy Sci. 69:2124.
- Fontenot, J. P. 1991. Recycling animal wastes by feeding to enhance environmental quality. Prof. Anim. Scientist 4 (7):1-7.
- Korean National Research Councils. 1992. Nutrient and Feed Requirements for Korean Native Cattle. National Livestock Research Institute, Rural Development Administration. Korea.
- Kwak, W. S., J. P. Fontenot and J. H. Herbein. 1998. Effect of processing method on ruminal solubility and degradability of broiler litter. Bioresource Technology 66:13-18.
- Kwak, W. S., S. C. Roh and J. M. Park. 2000. Feeding of poultry wastes to cattle in Korea. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13 (Suppl.):175-177.
- Nocek, J. E. 1985. Evaluation of specific variables affecting in situ estimates of ruminal dry matter and protein digestion. J. Anim. Sci. 60:1347.
- Patil, A. R., A. L. Goetsch, D. L. Galloway, Sr. and L. A. Forster, Jr. 1993. Intake and digestion by Holstein steer calves consuming grass hay supplemented with broiler litter. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 44:251-263.
- SAS Institute, Inc. 1990. SAS User's Guide, Version 6.08, 4th ed., SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC. USA.
- Smith, L. W. and I. L. Lindahl. 1977. Alfalfa versus poultry excreta as nitrogen supplements for lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 44(1):152-157.
- National Research Council. 1996. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle (7th Rev. Ed.). National Academy Press. Washington, DC., USA.
- Ko, Y. D. and B. G. An. 1987. Development of broiler manured corn silage I. Chemical and microbiological characteristics of the silage. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. 29(11):501-508.
- Evans, E., E. T. Moran, Jr. and J. P. Walker. 1978. Laying hen excreta as a ruminant feedstuff.1. Influence of practical extremes in diet, waste management procedure and stage of production on composition. J. Anim. Sci. 46:520-526.
- CAST. 1978. Feeding animal waste. Council Agric. Sci. Technol. Rep. 75.
- Tilley, J. M. A. and R. A. Terry. 1963. A two stage technique for the in vitro digestion of forage crops. J. Br. Grassl. Soc. 18:104.
- Miller, E. L. 1982. Methods of assessing proteins for ruminants, including laboratory methods. In: Protein Contribution of Feedstuffs for Ruminants: Application to Feed Formulation (Ed. E. L. Miller and I. H. Pike). Butterworth Scientific, London, pp. 18-35.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods of dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597.
- Park, K. K., A. L. Goetsch, A. R. Patil, B. Kouakou, D. L. Galloway, Sr. and Z. B. Johnson. 1997. Addition of carbonaceous feedstuffs to broiler litter before deep-stacking. Bioresource Technology 59:9-20.
- McDougall, E. I. 1948. Studies on ruminant saliva. I. The composition and output of sheep’s saliva. Biochem. J. 43:99-109.
- Rude, B. J., D. L. Rankins, Jr. and W. A. Dozier, III. 1994. Nitrogen and energy metabolism and serum constituents in lambs given broiler poultry litter processed by three deepstacking methods. Anim. Prod. 58:95-101.
- Mertens, D. R. and J. R. Loften. 1980. The effect of starch on forage fiber digestion kinetics in vitro. J. Dairy Sci. 63:1437-1446.
- Nocek, J. E. and J. E. English. 1986. In situ degradation kinetics: Evaluation of rate determination procedure. J. Dairy Sci. 69:77.
- Park, K. K., S. Y. Yang, B. K. Kim and W. H. Jung. 2000. Effects of bedding materials and season on the composition and production rate of broiler litter as a nutrient resource for ruminants. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1598-1603.
- Muller, Z. O. 1980. Feed from Animal Wastes: state of knowledge. FAO Animal Production and Health Paper, Rome, Italy.
- Li, Y., D. Li, J. Xing, S. Li, Y. Han and I. K. Han. 2002. Effects of supplementing different combinations of nitrogen supplements on digestibility and performance in sheep fed wheat straw diets. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(10):1428-1432.
- Ruffin, B. G. and T. A. McCaskey. 1990. Broiler litter can serve as feed ingredient for beef cattle. Feedstuffs (April 9):13-17.
- Kwak, W. S., J. P. Fontenot and J. H. Herbein. 2003. Digestion and nitrogen utilization by sheep fed diets supplemented with processed broiler litter. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16 (11): 1634-1641.
- Smith, L. W., H. K. Goering, D. R. Waldo and C. H. Gordon. 1971. In vitro digestion rate of forage cell wall components. J. Dairy Sci. 54:71.
- McCaskey, T. A., A. H. Stephenson and B. G. Ruffin. 1990. Factors that influence the marketability and use of broiler litter as an alternative feed ingredient, Sixth Internat’l Symp. On Agr. And Food Processing Wastes, ASAE Publication 05-90, 197.
- Martin, J. H. Jr., R. C. Loehr and T. E. Pilbeam. 1983. Animal manures as feedstuffs: nutrient characteristics. Agricultural Wastes 6:131-166.
- Silanikove, N. and D. Tiomkin. 1992. Toxicity induced by poultry litter consumption: effect on measurements reflecting liver function in beef cows. Anim. Prod. 54:203-209.
- Short communication. Milk yield and composition, dry matter intake and blood parameters of Holstein cows fed ensiled apple pomace co-ensiled with broiler litter vol.12, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5424/sjar/2014122-5015