- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effect of Certain Immunomodulators on Uterine Infections and Fertility in Post Partum Buffaloes
- Kumar, Puneet (Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Srivastava, S.K. (Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Rawat, Mayank (Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Yadav, M.C. (Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Kumar, H. (Indian Veterinary Research Institute)
- Received : 2003.06.20
- Accepted : 2004.04.12
- Published : 2004.07.01
The present study was aimed to study the effect of aqueous extract of Tinospora cordifolia and autologous plasma on uterine infections. Buffaloes in estrus, 40 days and above postpartum were checked for uterine infections. Animals having uterine infections were randomly divided into three groups of six animals each. Buffaloes in group I, II and III (control) were given intrauterine infusion of aqueous extract of Tinospora cordifolia (3,000 mg total dose), autologous plasma (150 ml) and phosphate buffer saline (150 ml) respectively, in three divided doses, once daily for three consecutive days, starting from the day of estrus. A fourth group (IV) comprising of six buffaloes having no uterine infection was also included in the present study. Buffaloes were inseminated artificially on next estrus following treatment and confirmed for pregnancy 60 days later. Bacterial population in CVM of buffaloes in group I, II and III was significantly (p<0.05) higher than group IV. After treatment there was a significant (p<0.01) reduction in bacterial population in group I (83.496
Buffaloes;Uterine Infection Tinospora cordifolia;Autologous Plasma;Bacterial Load;Conception Rate
- Adhau et al., 1999. Bacteriological isolates in repeat breeder buffaloes and treatment. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 69(7):504-506.
- Asbury, A. C., R. I. W. Hallwell and G. W. Foster. 1980. Immunoglobulins in uterine secretions of mares with differing resistance to endometritis. Theriogenology 14:299-308.
- Khan, M. A., I. Hussain, M. Ashfaque and K. M. Ahmad. 1990. Studies on bacterial etiology of metritis with special reference to Brucella in buffaloes and cows. Pak. Vet. J. 10(4):157-158.
- Krishnan, R., S. K. Thanwan and M. N. Moghe. 1994. Antibiotic pattern of bacteria isolated from repeat breeding animals. Indian Vet. J. 71:315-317.
- Pateria, A. K., P. N. Kumar, C. V. S. Rawal. 1989. Studies on microbial involvement in metritis affected buffaloes. Ind. J. Comp. Micro. Immunol. Infect. Dis. 10(3):
- Popov, Yu N. 1969. Diagnosis of occult endometritis in cows (using white side test on cervical mucous). Veterinariya Moscow No. 4 pp. 85-87.
- Rakesh Sharda and Rajeev Krishnan 2001. Aerobic bacterial flora of cervical mucous of repeat breeder cattle and buffaloes. Indian Vet. J. 78:659-660.
- Rege, N. N. and S. A. Dahanukar. 1997. Quantitation of microbicidal activity of mononuclear phagocytes, an in vitro technique. J. Postgrad. Med. 39(1): 22-5.
- Arora, A. K., Singh Jagir, G. R. Pangaonkar and A. S. Nanda. 2000. Bacteriological studies on the genital infection in repeat breeder bovines. Indian J. Anim. Reprod. 21(2):146-147.
- Saini, P. S., A. S. Nanda, A. S. Grewal and J. Singh. 1999. Uterine defence modulation for the treatment of repeat breeding due to infectious endometritis in bovines. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 69:307-309.
- Waelchli, R. O., L. Corboz and N. C. Winder. 1987. Effect of intra-uterine plasma infusion in the mare: Histological, Bacteriological and cytological findings. 28(6):861-869.
- Singh, S. N. 2000. Therapeutic management of bovine subclinical mastitis with special reference to medicinal herbs. M.V.Sc. thesis submitted to Deemed University, IVRI, Izatnagar, India.
- Prince, P. S. and V. P. Menon. 1999. Antioxidant activity of Tinospora cordifolia roots in experimental diabetes. J. Ethnopharmacol, 63(3):277-281.
- Venugopal, R. 1995. Intrauterine infusion of homologous plasma in the treatment of endometritis in cows. M.V.Sc. thesis submitted to college of veterinary and animal science, Mannuthy, Tissur.
- Cowan, S. T. 1974. Cowan and Steel’s manual for the identification of medical bacteria. Cambridge and London, Cambridge University Press.
- Nguyen-van-Thanh 1997. Bacteria in genital tract of normal female buffaloes and of those with metritis in North Vietnam. Khoa-Hoc-ky-Thuat-Thu-Y, 4:40-43.
- Feingold Davis, S., N. Goldman John and M. Kuritz Harold. 1968. Locus of the action of serum and the role of lysozyme in the serum bactericidal reaction. Journal of Bacteriology 96a:(6) 2118-2126.
- Watson, E. D. 1988. Uterine defence mechanisms in mares resistant and succeptible to persistant endometritis: A review. Equine Vet. J. 20:397-400.
- Sainis, K. B. 1997. Immunomodulation (Ed. S. N. Upadhyay), p. 155, Narora publishing house, New Delhi.
- Asbury, A. C. 1984. Uterine defence mechanisms in the mare: the use of intrauterine plasma in managment of endometritis. Theriogenology 21:387-393.
- Dhaliwal, G. S., R. D. Murray and R. Woldehiwet. 2001. Some aspects of immunology of bovine uterus related to treatments for endometritis. Anim. Repro. Sci. 67:135-152.
- Ward, A. 1985. A new treatment for infertility in mares. Vet. Med. 80:65-69.
- Boitor, I., M. Muntean, N. Mutes, D. Moise, R. Morar, M. Boitor, C. Sahleanu and L. Gorgan. 1980. Laboratory and therapeutics studies of puerperal endometritis and repeat breeding in cows. Buletinul Institula Agronomic Clug-Napoea Zootechnic Se Medicina Veterinaria, 34:111-114.
- Myrvik, Q. N. 1956. Serum bactericidins active against grampositive bacteria. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 66:391-400. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1956.tb40145.x
- Mathew, S. and C. Kuttan. 1997. Antioxidant activty of Tinospora cordifolia and its use in amelioration of cyclophosphamide toxicity. J. Exp. Clin. Cancer Res. 16:407-411.
- Thatte, U. M. and S. A. Dahanukar. 1989. Phytotherapy Res. 3(2):43. Cited in product manual of Immumod (M/s Merind Ltd.)
- Sohni, Y. R., P. Kaimal and R. M. Bhatt. 1995. The antiamoebic effect of a crude drug formulation of herbal extracts against Entamoeba histolytica in vitro and in vivo. J. Ethnopharmacol. 45(1):43-52.
- Rege, N. N., U. M. Thatte and S. A. Dahanukar. 1999. Adaptogenic properties of six Rasayana herbs used in Ayurvedic medicine. Phytotherapy, Res. 13(4):275-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1573(199906)13:4<275::AID-PTR510>3.0.CO;2-S
- Tarpstra, J. I. and W. A. Eisma. 1951. Sterility caused by bacteria Tijdschr, Diergeneck, 76:363-368 (c.f. Vet. Bull, 22:253).
- Roberts, S. J. 1986. In: Veterinary obstetrics and genital diseases 3rd Edn. (Ed. S. J. Roberts). Woodstock Vermont pp. 538-546.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1994. Statistical methods, 8th edn. The Iowa State Univeristy Press, Ames, Iowa, USA.
- Taylor, P. W. 1987. Bactericidal and bacteriolytic activity of serum against G -ve bacteria. Microbiol. Rev. 47:46-83.
- Direkbusarakom, S., Y. Ezura, M. Yoshimizu and A. Herunsalec. 1998. Efficacy of Thai traditional herb extracts against fish and shrimp pathogenic bacteria. Proceedings of the international symposium on diseases in Marine aquaculture, Hiroshima, 3-6 Oct., 1997 Gyobyo-Kenkyu. Fish Pathology 33(4):437-389.