- Volume 17 Issue 8
This study chiefly aims to ascertain the effect of birth weight and litter size on productive performance in rabbits. After delivery kits were removed from their mothers for individual weighing and randomly assigned to one of the following three experimental treatments: Group (KT 6) with six tiny kits (about 45 g) per litter (21 litters); Group (KT 8) with eight tiny kits (about 45 g) per litter (17 litters); Group (KN8) with eight normal kits (about 70 g) per litter (20 litters). The litters, separated from their mothers by putting them in a closed cage, suckled one time a day for 15 minutes. Daily milk production was measured by weighing the does immediately before and after suckling; body weight of kits was measured on a weekly basis. At weaning 60 rabbits per group were raised for six weeks to ascertain post-weaning performance and health. Compared with the two other groups, the kits of group KT8 ingested smaller quantities of milk both during the first 3 weeks (497.7 vs. 520.0 vs. 544.3 g, respectively for groups KT8, KN8, KT6) and the following period (261.3 vs. 285.0 vs. 302.7 g, respectively for KT8, KN8, KT6). The differences between groups KT8 and KT6 were statistically significant (p<0.01) in the first period while in the second period also KN8 group showed milk intake different in respect of KT8 (p<0.01) and KT6 (p<0.05) groups. Solid feed intake was significantly (p<0.05) lower in group KT6 (23.1 vs. 26.2 vs. 26.8 g/d, respectively for groups KT6, KN8, KT8). At weaning the kits of group KN8 always weighed more (966 vs. 894 vs. 888 g; p<0.01, respectively for groups KN8, KT6, KT8). After weaning, no parameter considered (daily weight gain, feed intake, feed conversion ratio, mortality and risk sanitary index) was affected by birth weight and litter size.
Rabbits;Birth Weight;Litter Size;Performance
- De Blas, J. C. and J. F. Galvez. 1973. Idices para le estimacion de la produccion de leche en conejas de raza Gigante de Espafia. An. INIA. Ser:Prod. Anim. 4:25-30.
- Nizza, A., G. Moniello and T. Di Lella. 1995. Prestazioni produttive e metabolismo energetico di conigli in accrescimento in funzione della stagione e della fonte proteica alimentare. Zoot. Nutr. Anim. 21:173-183.
- Poigner, J., Zs. Szendro, A. Levai, I. Radnai and E. Biro-Nemeth. 2000. Effect of birth weight and litter size at suckling age on reproductive performance in does as adults. World Rabbit Sci. 8:103-109.
- Rommers, J. M., B. Kemp, R. Meijerhof and J. P. T. M. Noordhuizen. 2000. Rearing conditions in rabbit : effect of litter size before weaning on feed intake and body development and composition of young rabbit does. In: Proceedings of the 7th World Rabbit Congress, Valencia. Vol. C. 415-422.
- Szendro, Zs., J. Palos, I. Radnai, E. Biro-Nemeth and R. Romvari. 1996. Effect of litter size and birth weight on the mortality and weight gain of suckling and growing rabbits. In: Prooceeding of the 6th World Rabbit Congress, Toulouse. Vol. 2:365-369.
- Taranto, S., C. Di Meo, G. Stanco, G. Piccolo, M. P. Gazaneo and A. Nizza. 2003. Influence of age at weaning on caecal content characteristics and post-weaning performance and health of rabbits. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1540-1544.
- Gyarmati, T., Zs. Szendro, L. Maertens, E. Bira-Nemeth, I. Radnai, G. Milisits and Zs. Matics. 2000. Effect of suckling twice a day on the performance of suckling and growing rabbits. In: Proceedings of the 7th World Rabbit Congress, Valencia. Vol. C. 283-290.
- Pascual, J. J., C. Cervera and J. Fernandez-Carmona. 2001. Effect of solid feed intake before weaning on the performance of growing rabbits. In: Proceedings of the 2nd Meeting of workgroup 3 and 4 COST Action 848. Godollo, Hungary.
- Torres, A., M. J. Fraga and J. C. De Blas. 1979. Produccion de leche y mortalidad de los gazapos en la raza neozelandesa. An. INIA Ser. Prod. Anim. 10:25-30.
- Ayyat, M. S., I. F. M. Marai and G. H. A El-Sayiad. 1995. Genetic and non-genetic factors affecting milk production and preweaning litter traits of new zealand white does under egyptian conditions. World Rabbit Sci. 3:119-124.
- Fernandez-Carmona, J., F. Bernat, C. Cervera and J. J. Pascual. 1998. High Lucerne diets for growing rabbits. World Rabbit Sci. 6:237-240.
- Nizza, A., G. Stanco, C. Di Meo, M. L. Marongiu, S. Taranto, M. I. Cutrignelli and L. Juliano. 2002. Effect of pre-weaning solid feed and milk intake on caecal content characteristics and performanceof rabbits around weaning. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 2:95-101.
- Nizza, A., C. Di Meo, G. Stanco and M. I. Cutrignelli. 2001. Influence of solid feed intake and age at weaning on caecal content characteristics and post-weaning performance. World Rabbit Sci. 9:149-153.
- Heinzl, E. L., F. Luzi, S. Barbieri, M. Zecchini, M. Petracci and C. Crimella. 2000. Effect of propilene glicol in the drinking water on the performances of growing rabbits. In: Proceedings of the 7th World Rabbit Congress, Valencia. Vol. C. 291-297.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1989. SAS/STAT User’s Guide: Version 6.12, edn. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- McNitt, J. I. and J. Moody. 1988. Milk intake and growth rates of suckling rabbits. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 11:117-119.
- Sabater, C., C. Tolosa and C. Cervera. 1993. Factores de variacion de la curva de lactacion de la coneja. Arch. Zootec. 42:105-114.
- McNitt, J. I. and S. D. Lukefahr. 1990. Effects of breed, parity, day of lactation and number of kits on milk production of rabbits. J. Anim. Sci. 68:1505-15012.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and non starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597.
- Scapinello, C., T. Gidenne and L. Fortun-Lamothe. 1999. Digestive capacity of the rabbit during the post-weaning period, according to the milk/solid feed intake pattern before weaning. Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 39:423-432.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Arlington, Virginia.
- Muriu, J. I., E. N. Njoka-Njiru, J. K. Tuitoek and J. N. Nanua. 2002. Evaluation of sorghum (sorghum bicolor) as replacement for maize in the diet of growing rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:565-569.
- Comparison of milk production and milk composition for an exotic and a local synthetic rabbit lines vol.10, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.14202/vetworld.2017.526-529