- Volume 17 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Establishment and Identification of a Debao Pony Ear Marginal Tissue Fibroblast Cell Line
- Zhou, X.M. (Institute of Animal Sciences, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Ma, Y.H. (Institute of Animal Sciences, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Guan, W.J. (Institute of Animal Sciences, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Zhao, D.M. (College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University)
- Received : 2003.12.15
- Accepted : 2004.05.21
- Published : 2004.10.01
The Debao pony ear marginal tissue fibroblast cell line (NDPEM 2/2) was uccessfully established using either primary explant technique or collagenase technique. The characterizations of the cell line were identified as following: the cells were adherent and of density limitation; population doubling time (PDT) of cells made with the two techniques were 35.9 h and 48 h, respectively; chromosome analysis showed that the frequency of cell chromosome number to be 2n=64 was 91.3%-92.8%. Confirmed by isoenzyme analysis, this cell line had no cross- contamination. Tests for microbial contamination from bacteria, fungi, virus or mycoplasma were negative. This newly established cell line meets all the standard quality controls of ATCC. It will provide a precious genetic resource for the conservation of the Debao pony breed, as well as effective experimental material for genetic studies on Debao ponies.
Debao Pony;Ear Marginal Tissue;Fibroblast Cell Line;Primary Explant Technique;Collagenase Technique
Supported by : National Science Foundation of China
- Butler, M. 1999. Cell counting and viability measurements. In: Animal Cell Biotechnology Methods and Protocols (Ed. Nigel Jenkins). Humana Press Inc., New Jersey. pp. 131-144.
- Doyle, A., C. Morris and J. M. Mowles. 1990. Quality control. In:Animal cells, living resources for biotechnology. (Ed. A. Doyle,R. Hay and B. E. Kirsop). Cambridge University Press,Cambridge, U.K.
- Freshney, R. I. 2000. Culture of animal cells: A manual of basic technique. 4th ed. Wiley-Liss, New York.
- Harnden, D. G. 1974. Skin culture and solid tumor technique. In: Human chromosome methodology. 2nd edn (Ed. J. J. Yunis). Academic Press, INC., New York and London.
- Lavappa, K. S. 1978. Survey of ATCC stocks of human cell lines for Hela contamination. In vitro 14(5):469-475. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02616110
- Masover, G. K. and F. A. Becker. 1998. Detection of mycoplasmas in cell cultures by cultural methods. In: Methods in molecular biology. Vol. 104: Mycoplasma protocols (Ed. R. J. Miles and R. A. J. Nicholas). Humana Press Inc., Totawa NJ. pp. 207-15, 217-26
- Nelson-Rees, W. and R. R. Flandermeyer. 1977. Inter- and intraspecies contamination of human breast tumor cell lines HBC and BrCa5 and other cell cultures. Sci. 195:1343-1344.
- Ren F. L., Y. Li and Y. Zhang. 2002. In vitro cultivation and freezing of bovine skin fibroblast cells. J. Yellow Cattle Sci. 28:8-10.
- Shepel, L. A., L. W. Morrissey, L. C. Hsu and M. N. Could. 1994. Bivariate flow karyotyping, sortiing, and peak assignment of all rat chromosomes. Genomics 19:75-85.
- Simon, D. L. 1999. Better Decisions in conservation of farm animal genetic resources by use of international sources of information. Information in Decision Making in Agricultural Research and Practice/IAALD QB XLIV, 1/2.
- Uphoff, C. C. and H. G. Drexler. 2002. Comparative PCR analysis for detection of mycoplasma infections in continuous cell lines. In vitro Cell Dev. Biol. Anim. 38:79-85.
- Oishi, T. 1997. Conservation and evaluation of animal genetic resources. Farming Japan, Vol. 31-6:18-25
- Wu, Ch. X. 1999. Theory and Technique of Animal genetic resources conservation. 1. Idioplasmic basis for persist development of animal agriculture at 21 century. J. Yun Nan University 21:7-10.
- Bowling, A. T., M. Breen, B. P. Chowdhary, K. Hirota, T. Lear, L. V. Millon, F. A. Ponce de Leon, T. Raudsepp and G. Stranzinger. 1997. International system for cytogenetic nomenclature of the domestic horse: 1. Report of the Third International Committee for the Standardization of the Domestic Horse Karyotype, Davis, CA, USA, 1996. Chromosome Research 5:433-443.
- Committee on Standardized Genetic Nomenclature for Mice. 1972. Standard karyotype of the mouse Mus musculis. J. Hered. 63:69.
- Barile, M. E. and S. Rottem. 1993. Mycoplasmas in cell culture. In: Rapid diagnosis of mycoplasmas (Ed. L. Kahane and A. Adoni). Plenum Press, New York. pp. 155-193.
- Ford, C. E., D. L. Pollock and I. Gustavsson. 1980. Proceedings of the First International Conference for the Standardization of Banded Karyotypes of Domestic Animals. Hereditas 92:145-162.
- Garner, C. M., L. M. Hubbold and P. R. Chakraborti. 2000. Mycoplasma detection in cell cultures: a comparison of four methods. Br. J. Biomed. Sci. 57:295-301.
- Hay, R. J. 1978. Preservation of cell culture stocks in liquid nitrogen. TCA Manual 4:787-790. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00918397
- Nims, R. W., A. P. Shoemaker, M. A. Bauternschub, L. J. Rec and J. W. Harbell. 1998. Sensitivity of isoenzyme analysis for the detection of interspecies cell line cross-contamination. In vitro Cell Dev. Biol. Anim. 34:35-39.
- Yang, T. X. and Y. W. Wu. 1999. The application of electrophoresis technique in agriculture sciences. In: Electrophoresis. 2nd edn (Ed. ZH. X. He and SH. ZH. Zhang). Science press, Beijing. pp. 258-308.
- Editing Committee of Report on Domestic Animal Genetic Resources in China. 2004. Report on Domestic Animal Genetic Resources in China. China Agricultural press, Beijing.
- Nelson, W. A., D. Daniels and R. R. Flandermeyer. 1981. Crosscontamination of cells in culture. Sci. 212:446-452.
- Ho, S. K., E. E. Lister and S. P. Touchbum. 1997. An Overview of Canadian farm animal genetic resources conservation and its associated biotechnological approaches. In: Proceedings of international conference of animal biotechnology. 155-160.
- Xiao, Y. P. 2001. In vitro culture of connective tissue. In: The principle and technique of in vitro culture (Ed. Q. SH. Xue). Science Press, Beijing. pp. 436-452.
- O'Brien, S. U., G. Kleiner, R. Olson and J. E. Shannon. 1977. Enzyme polymorphisms as genetic signatures in human cells cultures. Sci. 195:1345-1348.
- Ryder, O. A. and K. Benirschke. 1997. The potential use of 'cloning' in the conservation effort. Zoo Biology, 16:295-300.
- Shi, L. M. 1989. Freezing zoo: 1. Establishment and application of wild animal cell banks. Biology Bulletin 6:1-3.
- Editing Section of Horse and Ass Breeds in China. 1986. Horse and Ass Breeds in China. Shanghai Scientific and Technical Publishers, Shanghai.
- Hay, R. I. 1992. Cell line preservation and characterization. In: Animal cell culture: a practical approach. 2nd edn (Ed. R. I. Freshney). Oxford University Press, Oxford. pp. 104-135.
- Parodi, B., O. Aresu, D. Bini, R. Lorenzini, F. Schena, P. Visconti, M. Cesaro, D. Ferrera, V. Andreotti and T.Ruzzon. 2002. Species identification and confirmation of human and animal cell lines: a PCR-based method. Biotechniques 32(2):432-440.
- Lee, C. K. and J. A. Piedrahita. 2003. Transgenesis and germ cell engineering in domestic animals. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci.16(6):910-927.
- E, Zh. 1994. Tests for biological characteristics in cell cultures. In:Tissue culture and molecular cytology technique (Ed. E. Zh)Beijing press, Beijing. p. 155.
- Establishment and characterization of a fibroblast cell line from the Mongolian horse vol.45, pp.7, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11626-009-9183-8
- Establishment and characterization of a fibroblast cell line derived from Texel sheep vol.87, pp.3, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1139/O09-005
- ) vol.8, pp.2, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1089/bio.2010.0006
- Inhibitory effects of Vitamin E on UVB-induced apoptosis of chicken embryonic fibroblasts vol.35, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1042/CBI20090285
- Establishment and characterization of a fibroblast cell line derived from Mongolian sheep vol.82, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2010.00824.x
- Establishment and characteristics of Iranian Sistani cattle fibroblast bank: a way to genetic conservation vol.9, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12686-016-0640-x