- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Nucleotide Sequencing and PCR-RFLP of Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein-3 Gene in Riverine Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis)
- Padma, B. (Dept. of Molecular Virology, Virginia Technical State University) ;
- Kumar, Pushpendra (Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Choudhary, V. (Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Dhara, S.K. (Dept. of Genetics, Hebrew University) ;
- Mishra, A. (Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Bhattacharya, T.K. (Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Bhushan, B. (Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Sharma, Arjava (Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute)
- Received : 2003.10.29
- Accepted : 2004.03.29
- Published : 2004.07.01
Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) gene is a structural gene associated with the growth and development of the animals. The present investigation was carried out to unravel nucleotide sequence and polymerase chain reactionrestriction fragment polymorphism (PCR-RFLP) of IGFBP-3 gene in buffalo. Genomic DNA was isolated from a total of 157 animals belonging to Murrah, Surti, Jaffarabadi and Nagpuri breeds of Indian riverine buffalo. A 655 bp of IGFBP-3 gene was amplified in all the breeds and amplicons were digested with Hae III, Taq I and Msp I restriction enzymes. On digestion with Hae III yielded single restriction pattern of 8 fragments of sizes 201, 165, 154, 56, 36, 19, 16 and 8 bp in all the animals studied. Similarly Taq I and Msp I also revealed single restriction pattern yielding fragments of sizes 240 and 415 bp and 145 and 510 bp, respectively. This shows nonpolymorphic nature of restriction sites in buffalo. Nucleotide sequencing of 587 bp of IGFBP-3 gene in Murrah buffalo was done and submitted to the GenBank (Accession No. AY304829). Nucleotide sequencing revealed an addition of 4 bases in the intronic region as compared to cattle.
- Haegeman, A., A. Van-Zeveren and L. J. Peelman. 1999. A new mutation in the bovine insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3. Anim. Genet. 18:213-222.
- Maciulla, J. H., H. M. Zang and S. K. DeNise. 1997. A novel polymorphism in the bovine insulin–like growth factor binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) gene. Anim. Genet. 28:375.
- Spratt, S. K., G. P. Tatsuno and A. Sommer. 1991. Cloning and characterization of bovine insulin like growth factor binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) gene. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 177:1025-1032.
- Sun, W. B., H. Chen, C. Z. Lei, L. S. Zan, X. Q. Lei, R. B. Li, H. Chen and S. M. Geng. 2002. Polymorphism of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 gene and its relationship with beef performance of Qinchuan cattle. Anim. Biotech. Bulletin 8:95-99.
- Tomer, O. S. 1999. National seminar on 'Challenges-Dairying in the next millennium', Karnal, India. Indian Dairyman, 51:9-14.
- Shukla, A. 2001. PCR-RFLP studies on insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 (IGFBP-3) gene in cattle. M.V.Sc. thesis submitted to the Indian Veterinary Research Institute (Deemed University), Izatnagar, Bareilly, U.P., India.
- Sambrook, J., E. F. Fritsch and T. Maniatis. 1989. Molecular cloning: A laboratory manual. Ed 2nd, Vol 3. Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory Press. New York.
- Biswas, T. K., T. K. Bhattacharya, A. D. Narayan, S. Badola, Pushpendra Kumar and A. Sharma. 2003. Growth Hormone gene polymorphism and its effect on birth weight in cattle and buffalo. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:494-497.
- Hossner, K. L., R. H. McCusker and M. V. Dodson. 1997. Insulinlike growth factors and their binding proteins in domestic animals. Anim. Sci. 64:1-15.
- Kita, K., T. Shibata, M. Aman Yaman, K. Nago and J. Okumura. 2002. Response of muscle protein synthesis to the infection of insulin-like growth factor-I and fasting in young chickens. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1760-1764.
- Bale, L. K. and C. A. Conover. 1992. Regulation of Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 messanger ribonucleic acid expression by insulin-like growth factor I. Endocrinol. 131:608-614.
- DNA polymorphism of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 gene and its association with birth weight and body weight in cattle vol.124, pp.1, 2007, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.2007.00626.x