- Volume 17 Issue 5
Chinese-style pork jerky is a typical intermediate moisture meat product obtained by curing, drying and roasting pork samples. The chemical, physical and microbiological characteristics of pork jerky were evaluated throughout processing. The moisture content varied from 72.5% to 23.4 or 19.6% and aw varied form 0.97 to 0.74 or 0.72 in accordance with processing steps. The pork jerky roasted at
Chinese-style Pork Jerky;Quality Changes;Water Activity
- Chen, W. S., D. C. Liu, M. T. Chen and H. W. Ockerman. 2000. Improving texture and storage stability of Chinese-style pork jerky by the addition of humectants. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13(10):1455-1460.
- Chen, W. S., D. C. Liu and M. T. Chen. 2001. Interaction of different sugars and roasting methods on the physical and chemical properties of Chinese-style pork jerky. Food Sci. Agric. Chem. 3(4):148-152.
- Lin, S. Y., P. Y. Chang, C. S. Huang and C. F. Li. 1979. Studies on improvement of processing and packaging for dried shredded and sliced pork. Research Report No. 149. Food Industry Research and Development Institute, Hsinchu, Taiwan, ROC. pp. 3-19.
- Lin, S. Y., S. F. Tsai, C. R. Chen and C. F. Li. 1982. New process for manufacturing dried pork slices (II). Research Report No. 280. Food Industry Research and Development Institute, Hsinchu, Taiwan, ROC. pp. 1-7.
- Ockerman, H. W. 1972. Quality control of post-mortem muscle tissue. Dept. of Animal Science, The Ohio State University and Ohio Agricultural Research, USA.
- Witte, V. C., G. F. Krause and M. E. Bailey. 1970. A new extraction method for determining 2-thiobarbituric acid values of pork and beef during storage. J. Food Sci. 35:582-585.
- Seiler, D. A. 1976. The stability of intermediate moisture foods with respect to mold growth. In 'Intermediate Moisture Foods', (Ed. R. Davies, G. Birch and K. Parker), pp. 166-181. Marcel Dekker, New York and Basel.
- Chen, W. S., D. C. Liu and M. T. Chen. 2002b. Effects of high level of sucrose on the moisture content, water activity, protein denaturation and sensory properties in Chinese-style pork jerky. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(4):585-590.
- Obanu, Z. A. 1988. Preservation of meat in Africa by control of the internal aqueous environment in relation to product quality and stability. In 'Food Preservation by Moisture Control', 2 nd edn., p. 68. Elsevier Applied Science, London.
- Marangkey, A. E., E. Kataoka, T. Miyameto and T. Nakae. 1989. Influence of starter culture on bacterial flora in meat patty prepared from ground beef. Jpn. J. Zootech. Sci. 60:292-299.
- Varnam, A. H. and J. P. Sutberland. 1995. Cured meats. In 'Meat and Meat Products Technology, Chemistry and Microbiology'. pp. 167-223. Chapman and Hall, London.
- Su, H. P. and C. W. Lin. 1988. A survey of the storage characteristics of dried sliced pork. J. Chin. Soc. Anim. Sci. 17:83-90.
- van der Berg, C. 1991. Food-water relations: Process and integration, comments and thoughts. In 'Water Relations in Foods', (Ed. H. Levine and L. Slade), pp. 21-28. Pleunm Press, New York.
- SAS Institute, Inc. 1995. SAS/STAT User's Guide. Version 6.03 th edn. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Obanu, Z. A., D. A. Ledward and R. A. Lawrie. 1975. The protein of intermediate moisture meat stored at tropical temperature. i. changes in solubility and electrophoretic pattern. J. Food Sci. 40:657-666.
- Perry, S. V. and T. C. Grey. 1956. A study of the effects of substrate concentration and certain relaxing factors on the magnesium-activated myofibrillar adenosine triphosphatase. Biochem. J. 64:184-188.
- Darmadji, P., M. Lzumimoto, T. Miyamoto and K. Katoaka. 1990. Lactic fermentation effects on preservative qualities of Dendeng Giling. J. Food Sci. 55:1523-1527.
- AMSA. 1978. Guidelines of Cookery and Sensory Evaluation of Meat. American Meat Science Association, National Livestock and Meat Board, Chicago, IL.
- Wang, W. and L. Leistner. 1994. A novel dried meat product of China based on hurdle-technology. Fleischwirtsch. Intl. 1:38-40.
- Haas, G. J. and E. B. Herman. 1978. Bacterial growth in intermediate moisture food systems. Lebensm. Wissen. Technol. 11:74-78.
- Leistner, L. and W. Rodel. 1976. The stability of intermediate moisture foods with respect to microorganisms. In 'Intermediate Moisture Foods', (Ed. R. Davies, G. Birch and K. Parker), pp. 120-137. Elsevier Applied Science, London.
- Leistner, L. and W. Rodel. 1975. The significance of water activity for microorganisms in meats. In 'Water Relations of Foods', (Ed. R. B. Duckworth), pp. 309-323. Academic Press, London.
- Torres, E. A. F. S., M. Shimokomaki, B. D. G. M. Franco, B. C. Carvalho Jr. and J. C. Santos. 1994. Parameter determining the quality of Charqui, an intermediate moisture meat product. Meat Sci. 38:229-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90112-0
- Toldra, F., M. C. Cervero and C. Part. 1993. Porcine aminopeptidase activity as affected by curing agents. J. Food Sci. 58:724-747.
- Bandler, R., M. E. Stack, H. A. Koch, V. H. Tournas and P. B. Mislivec. 1995. Yeasts, molds, and mycotoxins. In 'Bacteriological Analytical Manual, Food and Drug Administration'. 8th Ed. pp. 18:01-03.
- Chen, W. S., D. C. Liu and M. T. Chen. 2002a. The effect of roasting temperature on the formation of volatile compounds in Chinese-style pork jerky. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(4):427-431.
- AOAC. 1980. Official Methods of Analysis. 11th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- Effects of Different Drying Methods on Quality Traits of Hanwoo Beef Jerky from Low-Valued Cuts during Storage vol.32, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.5.531
- Quality Comparison of Pork Loin and Belly from Three-way Crossbred Pigs during Postmortem Storage vol.34, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.2.185
- Ready-to-Serve Crab Sandwich Spread in Retort Pouch: Product Development and Process Optimization vol.24, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1080/10498850.2013.774080
- Effects of Replacing Sucrose with Various Sugar Alcohols on Quality Properties of Semi-dried Jerky vol.35, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2015.35.5.622