- Volume 17 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Molecular Characterization of Rathi and Tharparkar Indigenous Cattle (Bos indicus) Breeds by RAPD-PCR
- Sharma, Amit Kumar (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Bhushan, Bharat (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Kumar, Sanjeev (CARI) ;
- Kumar, Pushpendra (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Sharma, Arjava (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Kumar, Satish (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute)
- Received : 2003.10.06
- Accepted : 2004.05.19
- Published : 2004.09.01
Random amplification of polymorphic DNA-Polymerase Chain Reaction (RAPD-PCR) analysis was carried out using DNA samples of 30 animals of Rathi cattle and 42 animals of Tharparkar cattle. Genomic DNA was isolated as per standard protocol and evaluated for its quality, purity and concentration. Twenty three random primers were screened out of which 15 primers yielded satisfactory amplifications and were used for further analysis. Average numbers of polymorphic fragments per primer were 7.07
RAPD-PCR;Molecular Characterization;Rathi and Tharparkar Cattle
- Apuya, N. R., B. L. Frazier, P. Keim, E. J. Roth and K. G. Lark. 1988. Restriction fragment length polymorphism as genetic markers in Soya bean Glycine max (L.) Merrill. Theor. Appl. Genet. 75:889-901.
- Baird, E., S. C. Bland, R. Waugh, M. D. Maine and W. Powell. 1992. Molecular characterization of inter and intro specific somatic hybrids of potato using random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) marker. Molecular and General Genet. 223(3):469-475.
- Chapaco, W., N. W. Ashton, R. K. Martel, N. Antonishyn and W. L. Crosby. 1992. A feasibility study of use of random amplified polymorphic DNA in the population genetic and systematic of grass hopers. Genome, 35:569-575.
- Cushwa, W. T., K. G. Dodds, A. M. Crawferd and J. F. Medrano. 1996. Identification and genetic mapping of random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) markers to the sheep genome. Mamm. Genome, 7:550-585.
- Dunnington, E. A., Y. Plotsky, A. Haberfeld, T. Kirk, A. Goldberg, Y. Lavi, A. Chaner, P. B. Siegel and J. Hillel. 1990. DNA fingerprints of chickens selected for high and low body weight for 31 generation. Anim. Genet. 21:247-257.
- Gwakisa, P. S., S. J. Kemp and A. J. Teale. 1994. Characterization of Zebu cattle breeds in Tanzania using random amplified polymorphic DNA markers. Anim. Genet. 25:89-94.
- Jeffreys, A. J. and D. B. Morton. 1987. DNA fingerprinting of dogs and cats. Anim. Genet. 18:1-15.
- Kantanen, J., J. Vikki, K. Elo and T. Maki. 1995. Random amplified polymorphic DNA in cattle and sheep: amplification for detecting genetic variation. Anim. Genet. 26:315-320.
- Yu, K. F. and K. P. Pauls. 1992. Optimization of the PCR programme for RAPD analysis. Nucleic acid Research 20:2606.
- Lynch, M. 1990. The similarity index and DNA fingerprinting. Mol. Biol. Evol. 7:478-484.
- Bardin, M. G., C. Bandi, S. Comincini, G. Damiani and P. Rognoni. 1992. Use of RAPDs marker to estimate genetic variation in bovine populations. Anim. Genet. 23:57.
- Welsh, J. and M. McClelland. 1991. Genomic finger printing using arbitrarily prime PCR and a matrix of pair wise combinations of primers. Nucleic Acid Res. 19:5275-5279. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/19.19.5275
- Bowditch, B. M., D. G. Albright, J. G. K. Willians and M. J. Braun. 1993. Use of randomly amplified polymorphic DNA marker in comparative genome studies. Methods in Enzymology, 224:294-309.
- Wetton, J. H., R. E. Carter, D. T. Parkin and Walters. 1987. Demographic study of a wild hours sparrow population by DNA fingerprinting. Nature, 327:147-148.
- Ramesha, K. P., T. Saravanan, M. K. Rao, M. M. Appannavar and A. O. Reddy. 2002. Genetic distance among south Indian breeds of zebu cattle using random amplified DNA markers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(3):309-314.
Anderson, L., J. Bohme, L. Rask and P. A. Peterson. 1986. Genomic Hybridization of bovine class II major histocompatibility genes: 1. Extensive polymorphism of DQ
$\alpha$and DQ $\beta$genes. Anim. Genet. 17:95-112.
- Bhattacharjya, T. K. 1999. Genetic characterization of Indigenous breeds of cattle by PCR based methods. Ph.D. thesis, Deemed University IVRI, Izatnagar, Barilly (India). p. 88.
- Kemp, S. J. and A. J. Teale. 1992. Random amplified DNA polymorphism (RAPDs) and pooled DNA bovine genetic study. Anim. Genet. 23:62.
- Wahid, A. 1971. Draft monograph on Thari cattle. Mimeograph, Karachi University.
- Michelmore, R. W., I. Paran and R. V. Kesseli. 1991. Identification of markers in specific genomic regions by using segregating populations. Proceeding of the Natural Academic Science, USA. Vol. 88:9828-9832.
- Mittal, A. P., S. Prasad and C. J. C. Phillips. 1989. Rathi a new breed of cattle from the Indian desert. New technique in cattle production, 2:244-246.
- Genetic Differences and DNA Polymorphisms between the Fleshy Prawn Fenneropenaeus chinensis and Chinese Ditch Prawn Palaemon gravieri vol.8, pp.3, 2005, https://doi.org/10.5657/fas.2005.8.3.151