- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Protein Source and Formaldehyde Treatment on Growth and Carcass Composition of Awassi Lambs
- Abdullah, A.Y. (Jordan University of Science and Technology, Faculty of Agriculture, Animal Production Department) ;
- Awawdeh, F.T. (National Center National Center for Agriculture Research and Technology Transfer)
- Received : 2003.12.31
- Accepted : 2004.04.16
- Published : 2004.08.01
A trial with twenty-four newly weaned Awassi lambs (initial body weight=21.5
Awassi;Formaldehyde;Bypass Protein;Carcass Composition
- Abdullah, A. Y., R. W. Purchas and A. S. Davies. 1998. Patterns of change with growth for muscularity and other composition characteristics of Southdown rams selected for high and low backfat depth. New Zealand J. Agric. Res. 41:367-376.
- Abdullah, A. Y., M. M. Muwalla and M. Y. Harb. 1999. Evaluation of various protein sources for growing and finishing Awassi lambs. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 23:475-482.
- Association of Official Agricultural Chemists. 1984. Official methods of analysis. 14th ed. AOAC, Washington, DC.
- Hassan, S. A., A. N. Al-Ani, R. A. M. Al-Jassim and N. S. Abdullah. 1990. Effects of roughage to concentrate ratios and rumen undegradable nitrogen on growth of lambs. Small Rumin. Res. 3:317-324.
- Kanjanapruthipong, J., C. Vajrabukka and S. Sindhuvanich. 2002. Effects of formalin treated soy bean as a source of rumen undegradable protein on rumen functions of non-lactating dairy cows on concentrate based-diets. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(10):1439-1444.
- Orskov, E. R., G. W. Reid and I. McDonald. 1981. The effect of protein degradability and feed intake on milk yield and composition in cows in early lactation. Br. J. Nutr. 45:547-555.
- Nishimuta, J. F., D. G. Ely and J. A. Boling. 1974. Ruminal bypass of dietary soybean protein treated with heat, formaldehyde and tannic acid. J. Anim. Sci. 39:952-957.
- Santos, F. A. P., J. E. P. Santos, C. B. Theurer and J. T. Huber. 1998. Effects of rumen-undegradable protein on dairy cow performance: A 12 year litrature review. J. Dairy Sci. 81:3182-3213.
- Klopfenstein, T. J. 1985. Animal protein product fed as bypass protein for ruminants. Feedstuffs 5:31-42.
- Hassan, S. A., R. A. M. Al Jassim, A. N. Al-Ani and N. S. Abdullah. 1991. Effects of dietary supplement of rumen undegradable protein upon carcass composition of fat-tail Awassi sheep. Small Rumin. Res. 5:65-74.
- Balsi, D. A., K. K. Kreikemeier and T. P. Eck. 1995. An evaluation of sunflower meal in grower diets. Report of progress no. 745. Agriculture Experimental Station. KSU.
- Clark, J. H., C. L. Davis and E. E. Hatfield. 1974. Effects of formaldehyde-treated soybean meal on nutrient use, milk yield and composition and free amino acids in the lactating bovine. J. Dairy Sci. 57:1031-1039.
- Al Jassim, R. A. M., A. N. Al-Ani, S. A. Hassan, T. K. Dana and L. J. Al Jarian. 1991. Effect of dietary supplementation with rumen undegradable protein on carcass characteristics of Iraqi Awassi lambs and desert goats. Small Rumin. Res. 4:269-275.
- Kadim, I. T., R. W. Purchas, A. I. Rae and R. A. Barton. 1989. Carcass characteristics of Southdown rams from high and low backfat selection lines. New Zealand J. Agric. Res. 32:181-191.
- Tewatia, B. S., V. K. Khatta, A. S. Virk and P. C. Gupta. 1995. Effect of formaldehyde-treated faba beans (Vicia faba L.) on performance of lactating goats. Small Rumin. Res. 16:107-111.
- Al Jassim, R. A. M. 1985. The nutritional value of single cell protein sources for sheep. Ph. D. Thesis, University of New South Wales, Australia.
- Chalupa, W. 1975. Rumen bypass and protection of proteins and amino acids. J. Dairy Sci. 58:1198-1218.
- Husain, R. A. K. and N. W. Offer. 1987. Effect of formaldehyde treatment on the degradation of acid-preserved fish silage protein in vitro. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 16:297-304.
- Peter, A. P., E. E. Hatfield, F. N. Owens and U. S. Garrigus. 1971. Effects of aldehyde treatments of soybean meal on in vitro ammonia release, solubility and lamb performance. J. Nutr. 101:605-616.
- Schmidt, S. P., N. A. Jorgensen, N. J. Benevenga and V. H. Brungardt. 1973. Comparison of soybean meal, formaldehyde treated soybean meal, urea and starea for steers. J. Anim. Sci. 37:1233-1237.
- Spears, J. W., E. E. Hatfield and J. H. Clark. 1980. Influence of formaldehyde treatment of soybean meal on performance of growing steers and protein availability in the chick. J. Anim. Sci. 50:750-755.
- McAllister, T. A., K. A. Buchanan, L. A. McClelland and K. J. Cheng. 1992. Effect of formaldehyde- treated barley or escape protein on the nutrient digestibility, growth and carcass traits of feedlot lambs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 72:309-316.
- NRC. 1985. Requirements of Domestic Animals, 5. Nutrient requirements of sheep, 6th revised edn. National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council. Washington, DC.
- Beerman, D. H., D. E. Hogue, V. F. Fishll, R. H. Dalrymple and C. K. Ricks. 1986. Effects of the repartitioning agent cimaterol and fishmeal on growth performance, carcass characteristics and skeletal muscle growth in lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 62:370-380.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage fiber analyses (apparatus, reagents, procedures and some applications). Agric. Handbook No. 379. ARS, USDA, Washington, DC.
- Maner, J. H. 1973. Investigation of plants not currently used as major protein sources. In: Alternative sources of protein for animal production (NRC, 1973). pp. 87-118. National Research Council. Washington DC., USA.
- Statistical Analysis System Institute, Inc. 1985. SAS user’s guide: Statistics. Version 5 Edition. Cary, NC.