- Volume 17 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Multiple Ovulations and In vitro Fertilization in the Domestic Fowl (Gallus domesticus)
- Han, Haitang (Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, China Agricultural University) ;
- Zhao, Chen (Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, China Agricultural University) ;
- Li, Zandong (Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, China Agricultural University)
- Received : 2003.10.23
- Accepted : 2004.05.25
- Published : 2004.12.01
The aim of this study was to obtain mature ova or embryos at a single cell stage, which can be used in avian transgenesis and nuclear transfer through multiple ovulations, in vitro fertilization and culture. Chicken anterior pituitary extract (CAPE) or acetone-dried chicken anterior pituitary extract (ACAPE) was used to induce multiple ovulations in hens pretreated with pregnant mare' serum gonadotrophin (PMSG). In vitro fertilization of the multiple ovulated ova was performed by inseminating sperm onto the germinal disks in m-Ringer' solution and incubating the ova at 41
Fowl;PMSG;CAPE;ACAPE;Multiple Ovulations;In vitro Fertilization
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Fraps, R. M., G. M. Riley and M. W. Olsen. 1942b. Time required for induction of ovulation following intravenous injection of hormone preparation in fowls. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 50:313-317.
- Gupta, S. K., A. B. Gilbert and M. A. Walker. 1988. Histological study of follicular atresia in the ovary of the domestic hen (Gallus domesticus). J. Reprod. Fertil. 82:219-225.
- Imai, K. 1973. Effects of avian and mammalian pituitary preparations on induction of ovulation in the domestic fowl, Gallus domesticus. J. Reprod. Fert. 33:91-98.
- Tanaka, K., T. Wada, O. Koga, Y. Nishio and F. Hertelendy. 1994. Chick production by in vitro fertilization of the fowl ovum. J. Reprod. Fertil. 100:447-449.
- Johnson, A. L. and E. W. Leone. 1985. Ovine luteinizing hormoneinduced steroid and luteinizing hormone secretion and ovulation in intact and pregnant mare serum gonadotropinprimed hens. Poul. Sci. 64:2171-2179.
- Olsen, M. W. 1942. Maturation, fertilization, and early cleavage in the early hen's egg. J. Morph. 14 70:513-533.
- Nakanishi, A., M. Miyake, K. Utsumi and A. Iritani. 1991. Fertilizing competency of multiple ovulated ova in the domestic fowl (Gallus domesticus). Mol. Reprod. Dev. 28:131-135.
- Perry, M. M. 1988. A complete culture system for the chick embryo. Nature 331(7):70-72. https://doi.org/10.1038/331070a0
- Bakst, M. R. and B. Jr. Howarth. 1977. Hydrolysis of the hen’s perivitelline layer by cock sperm in vitro. Bio. Reprod. 17:370-379.
- Lee, C. K. and J. A. Piedrahita. 2003. Transgenesis and germ cell engineering in domestic animals. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(6):910-927.